This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mouse problem. Wireless MS 6000

Hello and forgive me if I am being stupid, I am a newbie to both linux and kubuntu,

I have a laptop dell e7240, 8 GB ram, 128GB SSD. I am running kubuntu fairly successfully. However, the touchpad is not perfect - well not as good as under windows - so I want to use an external mouse. And anyway, for some purposes I prefer an external mouse to a touchpad, so I want to get the external mouse working.

I have a MS 6000 wireless mouse which I have used for years and which I like very much. However, I can't get it to work properly under kubuntu, I should add that it is a wireless mouse - not bluetooth and has a usb plug in dongle that comes with the mouse.

The problem is the left click. This either doesn't work or works intermittently. I should add the right click works fine and scrolling also works fine.

Can anyone please offer a solution to the left click problem?

Many thanks

Bob

No solution, just suggestions. If all except left button works without fault then perhaps the fault is with the "years old" mouse. Perhaps try with another or even a wired mouse before presuming the system is at fault.

Nothing stupid about being a newbie - we all were once and many, like me, are still learning and enjoying it.

Comment

Originally posted by Worzel View Post
      If all except left button works without fault then perhaps the fault is with the mouse.
      I'd be surprised if it's not the mouse. Has happened to me several times. Conceivably a fresh battery in the mouse would help, but I wouldn't expect it to.
      Nothing stupid about being a newbie
      I'd go as far to say that this forum is proud of its friendly attitude, to anyone but especially those new to Kubuntu or GNU/Linux. It's a major reason many of us are here.

Regards, John Little
      Regards, John Little

Comment

Thanks both.

I have tried the mouse in three other computers and it works fine. I changed the battery to a new battery. Also, I have a brand new wireless mouse that I tried tonight. Again it works on three computers. But the only one which doesn't work is the kubuntu computer - and it has the same fault, left click not working.

Therefore, I don't think it's the mouse or the battery.

Any other suggestions?

Comment

What version of Kubuntu?
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Very latest version. And I upgrade and update and autoremove every day.

Comment

It is a MS mouse, has it ever worked on a Linux system?
              If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

It 'might' need a proprietary driver to function fully under Ubuntu Linux.

Launch Driver Manager (System Settings > Driver Manager) and check.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks both.

I checked the proprietry driver and nothing came up.

BUT something interesting. In the touchpad settings I notice that 'disable touchpad when mouse plugged in' for some reason lists the MS mouse in the 'dropdown'. I can't get rid of this.

Whilst the mouse DOES work for scrolling and right click, it makes me wonder if this 'disable' is somehow affecting the left click. Probably just clutching at straws

Anyone got any suggestions please.

Many thanks

Comment

Working...
                  X