This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nVidia propriatary drivers - how to stop it from connecting to the Internet

I am worried that nVidia drivers may be collecting infromation about my PC and other stuff and sending it off to the Internet. Is there something I can do to block it from having access to the Internet?

They aren't. They don't even check for updates. The only software Nvidia have in Linux is the actual driver, and a very basic configuration tool. It can't even check for updates.

If they were, there would be a gigantic uproar, an even bigger backlash, and 56994 articles on how to block it

It is possible to use iptables firewall rules or something similar to block a process from accessing the network, if needed.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      They aren't. They don't even check for updates. The only software Nvidia have in Linux is the actual driver, and a very basic configuration tool. It can't even check for updates.

If they were, there would be a gigantic uproar, an even bigger backlash, and 56994 articles on how to block it

It is possible to use iptables firewall rules or something similar to block a process from accessing the network, if needed.
      Cause during the installation process, I was asked if I wanted to install third party software such as drivers etc, so that is why I was a bit worried but thanks for clearing that up

Comment

Originally posted by joe2313 View Post
        Cause during the installation process, I was asked if I wanted to install third party software such as drivers etc, so that is why I was a bit worried but thanks for clearing that up
        That's not your system "reporting" to the internet, that's the installer asking if you want to get non-Ubuntu supplied programs and drivers from the internet - exactly what it says.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
        X