This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Containerize applications

Hi I am new to Linux and I chose Kubuntu as it has a very nice desktop environment which is KDE.

I just have a question, are there any GUI applications that allows the user to install applications in a sandboxed environment?

The reason I am after this is cause I don't want certain applications having access to my files and other resources, or to change certain settings without my knowledge etc?

Not a GUI, but this is probably the easiest method, as well as being an actively developed project.
    https://firejail.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      Not a GUI, but this is probably the easiest method, as well as being an actively developed project.
      https://firejail.wordpress.com/
      With firejail I am well aware that you can sandbox applications that is already installed.

However can you install applications inside of firejail sandbox environment? Kinda like chroot?

Comment

There will be nothing with a gui for doing this, but this page summarizes the different options you have:
        https://opensourceforu.com/2016/07/m...dboxing-linux/

Though I have used Linux on the desktop for nearly 20 years, this is something I have never felt the need or desire to do. I am sure others here may chime in later on, but we probably have a limited number of folks with such experience. Some research may be required, and there is a fairly vast number of sites with information about the tools in the summary linked to above.

Comment

There will be nothing with a gui for doing this, but this page summarizes the different options you have:
          https://opensourceforu.com/2016/07/m...dboxing-linux/

Though I have used Linux on the desktop for nearly 20 years, this is something I have never felt the need or desire to do. I am sure others here may chime in later on, but we probably have a limited number of folks with such experience. Some research may be required, and there is a fairly vast number of sites with information about the tools in the summary linked to above.
          With chroot, once when I set it up, then how do I install the application within the sandbox environment?

Additionally what about docker or kubernet or katacontainer, do they sandbox applications as well and do they have a GUI front end?

Comment

I am not familiar with these, except for a little on chroot. In those you mount the chroot, log in and then run commands or applications.

Docker and lxc and the like are mostly industrial or rather enterprise level tools, running multiple Systems on a single machines, though they can be used in simpler settings. Chromebooks are using containers for their Linux implementation, for example.

There are no GUI tools for any of these as far as I know. It is probably easier to run and manage them from a terminal.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Comment

I am not familiar with these, except for a little on chroot. In those you mount the chroot, log in and then run commands or applications.

Docker and lxc and the like are mostly industrial or rather enterprise level tools, running multiple Systems on a single machines, though they can be used in simpler settings. Chromebooks are using containers for their Linux implementation, for example.

There are no GUI tools for any of these as far as I know. It is probably easier to run and manage them from a terminal.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk
              Thanks for your help

Comment

Not really sure how you think some application will "go rogue" and mess about with your files or system. I've never heard of that happening. This is Linux and thus open source. If someone distributed a piece of software doing something like that the whole community would come down on the author like a ton of bricks.

Appimages are an application in a container (no file installations required) but it would still need access to the system to be useful. I'm not sure what use most applications would be with NO access to anything.

If you're worried about losing settings or system wide changes, make backups. Or you could run Kubuntu as a VM and never install anything to your base OS. If you have the drive space and RAM, you could run a separate VM for every application, but that's rather nutty IMO.

If your security needs are that high, you probably need to use Cubes OS

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                X