X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Truncation Error?

When I go to do an incremental backup, I get a truncation error:

Code:
    ERROR: truncate var/log/journal/1744d4793b6646d9a508acef38f25c1c/system@00058274f96a1e67-1e93b0b248c30cc1.journal~ failed: No such file or directory
    Not sure what this means or if it stops the backup. This was for my @ directory, and it finished unusually fast.

If it does interrupt the backup, do I have to re-do the entire thing?

You're not providing any info on what you're actually doing, as in the steps you are taking and the commands. I've never seen this error myself. I have to guess, but I assume you removed a backup incorrectly or you had an interrupted receive, therefore; No such file or directory

It sounds like the file "disappeared" during the backup process, which should be impossible because the backup snapshot has to be read-only.

Incremental backups require you to have the previous backup in place and unchanged before the incremental will work. If you're doing send|receive to a USB device, it might have dropped off during the receive and that would result in an incomplete backup. Could also be lack of free space.

I would delete the incremental backup and try it again.

Just to be clear, the incremental backup process;

1. Take read-only snapshot.
    2. Send full backup of read-only snapshot.
    3. Take another read-only snapshot.
    4. Send incremental backup of snapshot 2 vs. snapshot 1.
    5. Delete snapshot 1 and backup 1.
    6. Repeat steps 3 to 5.

Please Read Me

Comment

Might be relevant, but did you notice that the file in question is a 'backup'; it ends in ~
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I've been running this daily. This is a script that I've put in /home/sarah/bin:
        Code:
        echo "About to Create Snapshots..."
        now="$(date +%d-%m-%Y) $(date +%X)"
        system="/media/sarah/Snapshots/System Backups/System $now"
        home="/media/sarah/Snapshots/Sarah Backups/Sarah $now"
        sudo mkdir -p /mnt/cr-root
        sudo mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/cr-root
        echo "Filesystem Mounted"
        sudo btrfs subvolume snapshot -r /mnt/cr-root/@ "$system"
        sudo btrfs subvolume snapshot -r /mnt/cr-root/@home "$home"
        echo "Snapshots Taken!"

#Send System Folder to SENTINEL
        read -p "Enter Previous Backup Filename (Just Date/Time): " filename
        sudo btrfs send -p "/media/sarah/Snapshots/System Backups/System $filename" "$system" | sudo btrfs receive /media/sarah/SENTINEL/Kubuntu\ Backups/System\ Backups

#Backup Home folder
        sudo btrfs send -p "/media/sarah/Snapshots/Sarah Backups/Sarah $filename" "$home" | sudo btrfs receive /media/sarah/SENTINEL/Kubuntu\ Backups/Sarah\ Backups
        echo "Backing Up Complete"
        It's kind of pimative, but seems to work. It hasn't been copying new files after it receives the truncate error though. Not sure what is happening. It appear to be complaining that certain files in the filesystem have changed. This time it complained that something in Clementine's moodbar wasn't there:
        Code:
        ERROR: truncate sarah/.cache/Clementine/moodbarcache/data7/7/3g65l9dg.d failed: No such file or directory
        Backing Up Complete
        Not sure what is going on with that.

Comment

Working...
        X