This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Internet] Wifi connection keeps asking for password

Hello and please be gentle, I'm a newbie to both Kubuntu and to linux.

I am using a laptop, Dell e7240.

I installed Kubuntu latest version and all works well.

I can connect to the internet via ethernet port.

I can connect to one wifi network.

But... I cannot connect to another wifi network. It forever asks for the password.

Can anyone please help?

Many thanks

Are you saying, that on the 'other' (wifi) network, it isn't accepting the password you type in, or that it connects, then at some interval, disconnects, requiring that you provide the password again?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

It won't connect at all to the other wifi network. It simply keeps asking for the password.

On my other laptops I can easily connect to both wifi networks.

Comment

Two possibilities that come to mind. The password you are typing for the second network isn't correct (case matters in passwords) or 'that' network restricts connections to known 'approved' devices and the device you are using isn't. I'm more inclined to believe the former.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Definitely not the wrong password. I have entered it loads of times on this and other computers. And I always check by actually looking at it - in other words I don't have it hidden with asterisks. Plus its a very simple password!!

And I doubt its the approved devices problem because I have used a total of 6 different wifi devices on that connection.

Thanks though

Comment

Is there a way to completely remove all wifi settings and start afresh?

Comment

Very weird.

I did a fresh install of Kubuntu Cosmic Cuttlefish and now I have the opposite problem! Before the fresh install I could connect to my wifi called 'green' but could not connect to my wifi called 'blue'. Now after the fresh install I can connect to blue but not to green?

Basically Kubuntu doesn't seem to like connecting to two different wifi that are wired into the same router.

Any suggestions?

Comment

From the Menu, select Settings -> System Settings. Scroll down to the Network section and click on Connections. Whatever networks are detectable, you can set up its connection, including multiple connections on the router - I have two. I have one that I automatically connect to, but you could leave that setting unselected. As far as I know you can save as many wifi settings, including related passwords, as you want. Of course only one wifi connection can be "auto" connected, unless you have more than one NIC. If you don't have one set to autoconnect, then you will have to select one of yours when you decide to connect with wifi, and if the password is stored for that connection it will link up. Of course, then you can connect and disconnect among your configured wifi SSID names.
                The next brick house on the left
                Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Working...
                X