X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing help

Hi,
    I just installed my Kubuntu 18.10, but the package manager seems odd to me (last time for me was synaptic), when I search for email clients Thunderbird is not even listed (I need it since I need to recover my .thunderbird dric from backup). Also I keep getting notifications about updates is there a way to tell them to auto download or install which me reviewing them each time?

I will also need a fair few specific packages for a LaTeX typesetting - I have no idea where to find them from Discover software centre.

The last time I used Kubuntu I gave up after the package manager kept reporting errors when trying to update , just hoping not to have the same again.
    Thanks:<br />Using a Toshiba A300-21H ,3GB ram,Intel Core2Duo 2Ghz,Mobile Intel® GMA 4500MHD,intel wifi link 5100. Tux wants you!

You're probably seeing "Discover" and yes, no one much likes it.

Thunderbird is not a product supplied by Kubuntu. You can install it, but you have to get it on-line.

I suggest you install Synaptic or Muon and use it from now on. Open Konsole and type:

sudo apt install synaptic

and it will install with it's dependencies. Muon is a package manager much like Synaptic except it's written in QT rather than GTK. Frankly, if you're used to Synaptic, why not keep using it?

Please Read Me

Comment

Thank you

Can I ask does, using synaptic have any issues with the update manager ? I don't want to run into a situation where I am screwing around with the update manager - something which in the past has ruined systems for me (always reporting errors on certain updates or just unable to complete anything )
      Thanks:<br />Using a Toshiba A300-21H ,3GB ram,Intel Core2Duo 2Ghz,Mobile Intel® GMA 4500MHD,intel wifi link 5100. Tux wants you!

Comment

Well, not that I'm aware of. If you're concerned, install muon instead and try it out. The update notifier is a muon tool.

sudo apt install muon

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
        X