X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swap Partition versus Swap File in Kubuntu 18.04

Hi everyone,

I am in the process of doing a clean install of Kubuntu 18.04 on a Dell laptop with 4GB of ram. Previous older Linux installs on this laptop without a swap partition would see the OS run out of ram (especially while streaming video from the Internet) and hang, forcing a hard reset. From what I understand Ubuntu 18.04 automatically creates a swap file instead of a swap partition. I also noted that during the Kubuntu 18.04 install there is no "guided" method of creating a swap partition during setup.

I wanted to confirm with you folks:

1 - That Ubuntu 18.04 and it's derivatives, specifically Kubuntu 18.04, automatically creates a swap file during install, and,
    2 - If I should bother creating a swap partition during the install, or if the swap file replaces the need for a swap partition completely

Thank you all in advance
    Kevin

Current belief is one or the other doesn't make much difference. If you're using BTRFS you need a swap partition. If you're booting more than one Linux OS regularly you should have a swap partition. Otherwise, not much difference.

Please Read Me

Comment

Specifically to your questions:

Yes a swap is created at install. Create a swap partition if it makes sense.

Please Read Me

Comment

Also look at ksysguard after you notice swap usage. in some systems, it will hit swap too early, even if you have gobs of ram.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Sw...I_change_it.3F

This is a useful tweak if you see swap being used too early.

Comment

Working...
        X