X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to the special dates in Korganizer and Kontact

Hi
    QUICK SUMMARY OF POST

a) if one actually includes a birthday and / or anniversary for a contact then the birthday and / or anniversary will appear in the "special dates" section of the Summary window.

as to any other "kind" of special date:

b) this author has found NO DISCERNABLE way to create "a" "special" date from "also the calendar"( a term from the KDE handbook) .

c) this author offers a workaround...create a non-existent contact with a name for the "special date" and apply a birthday for the non-existent person and the special date will, indeed, appear.
    This are many posts littering the net with a question about about "how do I make a special date" in Korganizer so that it will appear in the "special dates" section of Korganizer in the Summary View.

I, personally, have fiddled with this for years.

An ASSOCIATED problem with doing "searches on the net" is that there many ways to refer to the application such as KDE PIM, Korganizer, Kontact and that just ups the number of ways to NOT find a particular post or instruction.

Well, the simple cut to the chase is that "previous documentation" was "imprecise" about what one could do and present documentation for the latest iteration does not discuss it at all.

NEITHER actually state "how" to do it, they just say what "can be done".

Here is the relevant copy from "the previous version (s) and paste about "special dates".

Kontact Summary Plugins: Special Dates

The “Special Dates” plugin for Kontact's Summary View adds an area in the view labeled Upcoming Special Dates. This area contains information based on the criteria selected in the configuration area of the plugin in Kontact's Summary View configuration. The “Special Dates” plugin is especially useful because it can display birthdays, anniversaries, holidays, and special occasions from both the calendar ( WOODSMOKE's EMPHASIS) and the contact list in one place.
    Kontact Special Dates Plugin
    https://docs.kde.org/trunk5/en/pim/k...-special-dates

Here is a link to the "present" handbook and I can find no mention of "special dates" by using "find in page" if anyone can find it please so post.

The KOrganizer HandbookYou can assign several categories to a calendar item. Click the drop down box to display allavailable categories. Check the category boxes to assign suitable categories to the event.You can also add a new category, modify a category or delete a category in theEdit Cate-goriesdialog. Open this dialog withSettings→Manage Categories

TIP your language lesson at work may belong to both Business and Education categories, while theanniversary of your marriage belongs to either Personal or Special Occasion - it is your choice.
    https://docs.kde.org/trunk5/en/pim/k...korganizer.pdf

When I tried to make a category it produced a blank box, i entered a category to make it and nothing if one types something into the box and saves than FOR THAT INSTANCE it is there...so...ok that is alright apparently the function has not actually been implemented yet...and that is ok it is under development.

SO...

FIRST...if ANYONE would care to actually produce a step by step on how to make a "special date" "from both the calendar" and it appear in the Summary then PLEASE SO DO ...

Again, I have fiddled with this for years through ALL of the incarnations of Kontact / Korganizer and have found no discernable set of steps to make a "special" date of my own such as:

"The day I plan to eat my first Knish." or a simple "Johnnie's birthday".

Yes, indeed, I can make a date in the calendar for both and they appear in the calendar...but there are no obvious sets of clicks or right clicks or buttons to make either a "special date from both the calendar".

AS FAR AS I CAN DISCERN:...

The ONE WAY to make a special date appear in the Summary view is to enter a BIRTHDAY and / or an ANNIVERSARY in the provided fields for a contact's information, and one should also provide a "spouses:" name for the anniversary.

When that is done it will appear IMMEDIATELY in the special date field of Summary if it is WITHIN the time frame for the special dates which is "three days".

So...here is how to test it:

a) go to your "personal calendar" and go to contacts and choosing the top left button "create a new contact" and it will appear,.

b) enter a name such as "knish guy".

c) enter a birthday that is one day hence from when your are creating knish guy.

d) enter an anniversary FOR THE NEXT DAY and also a "spouse" such as "knish guy's other half".

save and go to the summary page and IN THE SPECIAL DATES SECTION the knish guy's birthday will be there in blue and the anniversary will be below it.

One can leave it there or delete the knish guy from one's contacts as one so desires.

If ANYONE has a way to just enter "a special date" and have it appear as a "special date" such as the knish guy only as maybe... "my only day this year to get up late from bed" then please so do.

+++++++++++++++

WOODSMOKE'S OBSERVATON...If one enters a birthday and / or an anniversary for a contact then such SHOULD APPEAR in ...special dates...

as to any other special date...

WOODSMOKE'S ADVICE/ temporary workaround

... create "non-existent" contact who does not actually exist with a "special name" and enter a birthday for that name. And it should appear in the special dates section when appropriate.

I, personally, would ALSO create a special "group" in contacts and name it "special dates contacts" and put that one, or several, in that group and it should export if one needs such.
    AND AGAIN, I REPEAT, if anyone has specific instructions about how to create "categories" or "special dates" in some other manner please post a step by step.

and, of course, if anyone has questions, please ask.

woodsmoke
    Last edited by woodsmoke; Feb 17, 2019, 05:16 PM.
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!
Working...
X