This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] I can't login to a TTY

I rarely use the TTY terminals but one thing I use them for is to reboot after a graphics driver update as rebooting from the KDE desktop doesn't work after installing new Nvidia drivers.
    There was an update of the Nvidia drivers today from the graphic-drivers PPA.
    The first thing I discovered is that they have changed the Ctl Alt function keys and now Ctl Alt F-1 restarts X and not a TTY.

The problem is that when I attempt to login from one of the TTY's, I enter my user name and it asks for the password and as soon as I begin typing, it begins showing my password characters followed by "login incorrect" over and over.
    This does not happen when from a virtual terminal in KDE, (konsole) only from the TTY's.

Anyone having the same problem and how do I fix it?
    Last edited by jberkpc; Feb 18, 2019, 08:47 PM.

Take a look at Switch to Console in Ubuntu 18.04 - How to Leave GUI? over on Ask Ubuntu.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      My problems isn't with installing the new Nvidia driver, it's installed and I understand that the Ctl Alt function keys are different. I go to the TTY'S and back to the GUI with Ctl Alt F-1.
      I just can't login in to any of the TTY's.
      I enter a user name and as soon as I begin to type the password it starts displaying a couple of my password characters followed by "login incorrect".
      Not being able to login to any TTY is the problem.

Comment

Gotta love Nvidia :
        Try opening Konsole, or xterm, yakuake, or whatever terminal emulator you have, and try it there. My guess is the usual new Nvidia bits not loading fully, or conflicting with whatever nvidia bits are still loaded into ram.

Comment

I've never heard of nvidia interfering with the console nor have I experienced it. Sounds like the keyboard characters aren't all being received so something must be interfering.

Have you tired very slowly entering the letters? Like type one letter, pause for several secondsand type another?

Also, you say "...displaying a couple of my password characters..." AFAIK, NO passwords characters should be displayed. Again - I've never heard of this happening, nvidia or not.

Have you tried booting into the TTY to see if that's normal?

Please Read Me

Comment

I have seen it but only *after* a reboot, and only after an nvidia switch and not autoremoving leftover Nvidia packages from the previous version, and only on one monitor (tv?) and only some time ago. Yeah, and only one particular video card. A GT610 or something similar.

Comment

Well it seems to have to do with the kernel version. I found this link: https://askubuntu.com/questions/1113...t-for-password
              I can log in to the TTY'S if I boot to this kernel:4.15.0-43.46. I am currently using :44.15.0-45.48.
              With the current kernel, when I attempt to login in to a TTY it goes into a loop prompting for the user, password then "login in correct over and over .
              I don't know if it has anything to do with the nvidia drivers. I am using the latest from the graphic driver PPA as I have a Nvidia RTX 2080.
              The issue with the TTY was probably going on before I updated the Nvidia drivers as I don't use the TTY'S very often.
              I'll have to wait and see if updates to the kernel fix the issue.
              Last edited by jberkpc; Feb 17, 2019, 01:58 AM.

Comment

Have you already removed the offending kernel? If not, post the output of this:

dkms status

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                  Have you already removed the offending kernel? If not, post the output of this:

dkms status
                  john@Rampage-VI-E:~$ dkms status
                  nvidia, 415.27, 4.15.0-43-generic, x86_64: installed
                  nvidia, 415.27, 4.15.0-44-generic, x86_64: installed
                  nvidia, 415.27, 4.15.0-45-generic, x86_64: installed
                  oem-audio-hda-daily, 0.201808050301~ubuntu18.04.1, 4.15.0-43-generic, x86_64: installed
                  oem-audio-hda-daily, 0.201808050301~ubuntu18.04.1, 4.15.0-44-generic, x86_64: installed
                  oem-audio-hda-daily, 0.201808050301~ubuntu18.04.1, 4.15.0-45-generic, x86_64: installed
                  virtualbox, 5.2.18, 4.15.0-43-generic, x86_64: installed
                  virtualbox, 5.2.18, 4.15.0-44-generic, x86_64: installed
                  virtualbox, 5.2.18, 4.15.0-45-generic, x86_64: installed

There it is, I'm usually only leave the last two kernels but reinstalled , 4.15.0-43 and I can login to the TTY'S with that one.
                  Last edited by jberkpc; Feb 17, 2019, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Hmm, just wanted to check that. Looks normal.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                      Hmm, just wanted to check that. Looks normal.
                      My son who works with Linux professionally thinks it's not a problem with the kernel but with the configuration of the kernel.
                      He uses a custom kernel with almost the same hardware as mine in Kubuntu and doesn't have the TTY problem.
                      I might have him do a custom kernel for me if he ever gets the time.
                      I'm in my seventies and just tinker with this stuff.
                      Thanks to all for your input.

Comment

I can't login to a TTY Solved

I saw this post: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...Kunutu-18-04-2

I installed these packages linux-generic-hwe-18.04 and xserver-xorg-hwe-18.04 that are part of upgrade to 18.04.2 and rebooted to kernel 4.18.0-15

and can now login in to the TTY's without issue and a newer kernel is a bonus.

Thanks to all for your help!

Comment

Awesome!
                          I had overlooked your extremely new video card, and was about to suggest this myself

Comment

Working...
                          X