This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TwoFistedJustice View Post
    Chrome is gone. But Chromium somehow was able to import my settings from the ghost of Chrome.

Is it possible that Chrome is still there but I can't see or access it?
    The Chrome binaries and libraries are installed to /opt but the user's profile and settings, etc, are stored in the user's home dir. These are not touched if the program is uninstalled, removed, or whatever.

Comment

But Chromium doesn't read/share Google Chrome's folder in ~/.config. It has its own.

If anyone with a Google account signs in and doesn't turn off sync, the new browser, Google Chrome or Chromium, will be synced.
      Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

I'm going to retract my earlier statement about Chromium pulling settings from Chrome. They were not there last night. It's possible that I opened Firefox by mistake, saw the installed plugins, and made a dumb assumption. I still often get confused about where I am in Linux. My Windows reflexes play tricks on my perceptions.

But Chrome is definitely gone.

I don't have sync turned on.

About those logs you mentioned, if you tell me how or where to fetch them, and exactly what you need, I will fetch them.

Comment

They are text files, some of them are compressed so can be opened with Ark. You search the text for 'google-chrome' and see if any action involving that is present.
          It is highly strange that the entire directory holding Chrome would simply disappear. It would take root privileges (and thus authorization) so a logical place to look is the logs.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
            They are text files, some of them are compressed so can be opened with Ark. You search the text for 'google-chrome' and see if any action involving that is present.
            I will need help to do this as I have not idea at all. (I did a google search, but found no enlightenment).

Would you please walk me through ?

Comment

Copy the log file(s) found in the directory to somewhere in your home directory.

If it just a log file double click it and it will open in a text editor.

If it is a tar or gz or bz2 file, these are like zip files. Right click and use the extract function to get the text files out.

You can look for items visually or use the text editor's search to look for any instances of "google-chrome" and see if and when it was uninstalled.

If it was somehow deleted (not uninstalled) from /opt it would still show as installed when using the apt policy command. For you it shows as not installed, which means it was uninstalled or was never installed to begin with (obviously not the case here).

What we hope to see is when it was uninstalled and what may have caused it to happen.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                Copy the log file(s) found in the directory to somewhere in your home directory.
                Which directory?

Comment

Originally posted by TwoFistedJustice View Post
                  Which directory?
                  Previously:
                  No, it won't, at least in this case.

We probably need to see the apt logs ( /var/log/apt/) to see when (and maybe why) Chrome was uninstalled
                  Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Comment

Thank you claydoh. I found it.

I installed exfat utlils in order to read the NTFS usb stick where I had all of my media and such stored. Exfat evidently doesn't play nice with Chrome.

from history.log
                    Start-Date: 2019-02-11 22:48:20
                    Install: exfat-utils:amd64 (1.2.8-1), exfat-fuse:amd64 (1.2.8-1, automatic)
                    Remove: google-chrome-stable:amd64 (72.0.3626.96-1)
                    End-Date: 2019-02-11 22:48:24

From term.log
                    Log started: 2019-02-11 22:48:20
                    (Reading database ...
                    (Reading database ... 5%
                    [user removed repetitive 5% increments]
                    (Reading database ... 100%
                    (Reading database ... 223836 files and directories currently installed.)
                    Removing google-chrome-stable (72.0.3626.96-1) ...
                    Selecting previously unselected package exfat-fuse.
                    (Reading database ...
                    (Reading database ... 5%
                    [user removed repetitive 5% increments]
                    (Reading database ... 100%
                    (Reading database ... 223730 files and directories currently installed.)
                    Preparing to unpack .../exfat-fuse_1.2.8-1_amd64.deb ...
                    Unpacking exfat-fuse (1.2.8-1) ...
                    Selecting previously unselected package exfat-utils.
                    Preparing to unpack .../exfat-utils_1.2.8-1_amd64.deb ...
                    Unpacking exfat-utils (1.2.8-1) ...
                    Setting up exfat-utils (1.2.8-1) ...
                    Setting up exfat-fuse (1.2.8-1) ...
                    Processing triggers for mime-support (3.60ubuntu1) ...
                    Processing triggers for man-db (2.8.3-2ubuntu0.1) ...
                    Log ended: 2019-02-11 22:48:24

Comment

You need to peek at the multiple logs if present, and search for google-chrome in the texts and see if they contain any info about the package, if they go back far enough.. It may not be worthwhile, as you can simply reinstall it from apt or from Discover. It might be interesting to see if and when it was uninstalled, and what may have caused this to happen, though.

Comment

Working...
                      X