Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

USB Mouse - Is There a Terminal Command to Reset It?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USB Mouse - Is There a Terminal Command to Reset It?

My Question
    Is there a terminal command to reset a USB mouse?

My Problem
    After resuming from suspend, my USB mouse gets stuck while moving around the screen. (it will automatically get unstuck for a few seconds, but then get stuck again)

My Temporary Solution
    If I unplug the USB mouse and plug it back in, it will work properly. But sometimes I have to do this several times.

And if I continue doing this it will wear out the USB port that I'm using.
    Last edited by user672343; Feb 09, 2019, 04:37 PM.

Your last comment isn't likely to happen.

Have you cleaned the mouse?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      Your last comment isn't likely to happen.

Have you cleaned the mouse?
      Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, I've cleaned the mouse. (But for clarification, it's a laser mouse, rather than a ball mouse. And I'm using an opaque surface, rather than glass, so that shouldn't be an issue either.)

The reason I'm requesting a terminal command to reset the mouse, is that unplugging the USB mouse and plugging it back in solves the problem. So I think I simply need to reset it, after I resume from suspend.

I noticed this terminal command for USB reloading, (to fix a USB mouse problem) but the command is several years old so I thought it might be obsolete in Kubuntu 18.04:
      https://unix.stackexchange.com/quest.../234179#234179
      Last edited by user672343; Feb 09, 2019, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Well, for starters, open a konsole and type the command given to list your USB information: lscpi | grep USB (or lsusb all by itself).
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
          Well, for starters, open a konsole and type the command given to list your USB information: lscpi | grep USB (or lsusb all by itself).

This is the entry for my USB mouse, when I use the "lsusb" command:
          Code:
          [FONT=monospace]Bus 001 Device 017: ID 046d:c064 Logitech, Inc. M110 corded optical mouse (M-B0001)[/FONT]
          Thanks for the continued help.
          Last edited by user672343; Feb 11, 2019, 02:54 AM.

Comment

Probably either removing and re-loading the mouse driver or the USB driver.

Of course, if you keyboard is also USB you might leave yourself unable to use the computer so do it with a script that unloads and then reloads the driver(s).

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
              Probably either removing and re-loading the mouse driver or the USB driver.

Of course, if you keyboard is also USB you might leave yourself unable to use the computer so do it with a script that unloads and then reloads the driver(s).
              Thanks for the advice. Your suggestion is exactly what I was looking for, a script to unload and reload the mouse driver or USB driver.

Do you know of any script I could use for this?

Comment

Hello again,

I appreciate the two responses I got above, but in both cases I started to get help and then...? The replies suddenly stopped. (for two weeks)

Is there something I forgot to do? Did I break some rule?

Please let me know, because it'd be a big help if I could learn which script I should use to reset my mouse driver. Thanks.
                Last edited by user672343; Feb 26, 2019, 03:21 PM.

Comment

You did not do anything wrong, clearly no-one here knew a complete answer...

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
                    You did not do anything wrong, clearly no-one here knew a complete answer...
                    I suppose you're right, Teunis.

I didn't realize the complexity of resetting the mouse driver. (or USB driver)

Comment

Working...
                    X