X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TEXT as in word jaggieness preference HDMI and VGA

This is an "opinion" question.
    I do a LOT of text work, typing etc. on the computer.
    I always THOUGHT that if, somehow, get just the right combination of a "distributions" drivers, a video card and HDMI that it would be marvelous for TYPING text into writer or something.

So, I have fiddled with this for several years and now have the best I can get, financially, in terms of video card, and installed the latest NEON user edition and have a monitor that actually gives the option to switch between HDMI and VGA.

Well, FOR ME...

A)

Using HDMI produces:
    a) what I call a "glassy" effect for borders etc. using the normal breeze and I have tried all of the open gl options and xrender.

I had this BEFORE the new hardware.

b) i actually see "jaggies" on the TEXT when typing.

c) I do not see "jaggies" on things like the forum buttons etc. which, are, of course, "graphics".

Using VGA

I do NOT see the "jaggies" when typing TEXT and the buttons at fora are same as usual.

d) I have researched this for several year on the net and today found a reviewer who says what I see.

Almost all of the "comparisons" are for games, watching videos etc. the comparison is always DPI and sizes and this and that but not "anecdotal"...

B) So, I now have someone else who is at least somewhat congruent with what I see.

Here is his comment on a thread on this:

I'm setting up my wife's computer. We both have ACER 32" monitors with 720p hdmi connections and VGA connections. They are 7 year old LCD monitors. We have two HP towers. One is this new windows 8.1 that I'm setting up now and one is my old 7 year old Vista. I also have a windows 7 HP laptop with a VGA and hdmi out. Vista has invida pure video with DVI and hdmi out. This windows 8.1 has Radeon with DVI and hdmi out. I have spent countless hours over the past several years trying to get these 3 computers to produce quality text over an hdmi cable. I understand that they should because hdmi is digital but they just do not and can not.

On the two towers I have the VGA adapter connected to the DVI out and the text is just remarkable on both towers. Just like printed text.

When I go to other peoples house and look at the text on their screens I can immediately see that they are using hdmi [b] because of the poor quality text.[b]

I was hoping that this problem would be fixed by now, It's 2014 already.
    So...the question is...WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS on this? Do prefer HDMI or VGA for working with TEXT.

ANCILLARY QUESTION... is there a "thing" in any of the Linux drivers for "...digital video out" DVI . And probably, I would then need to get a card that supports DVI.

thanks ahead of time for ANY comments!

woodsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Well ...this is just ...dunno... hilarious.

I went to the lumber room and found that ...WOAH! I had an older monitor an HP w2007 and... an older NVIDIA video card and both had DVI!!! WOAH!!!

Ok...so I switch things out, the Blue on Blue machine has an Intel onboard card.

And first thing off the text is marvellous but it is TEARING like crazy...

I spent an hour messing with settings and renderers and etc. Even changed to Wayland on the login screen and things just went awful, tearing was so bad that the desktop, which had rendered beautifully was unusable.

So, ok...I figured that i would switch this monitor to the VGA input and

OMG is all that i can say... it was really great so, I hurriedly changed the startup session to "new" and OMG OMG OMG on reboot...I have the most beautimoso display like things USED TO BE before I purchased the new HDMI monitor and paid EXTRA to have a mobo that HDMI and VGA out...

and it isn't just my particular eyes...

There are NO JAGGIES in the text it is fine, clear and all that... just amazing...

and no "plasticy" tint to the Breeze theme...

now yeah, it could be that i am fooling myself but I don't think so...

AN UNEXPECTED SIDE EVENT!!! The mouse wheel which always worked in "jumps" with HDMI is now a smooth as a silk for scrolling up and down...woah!!!

The problem NOW is ...this is an older display...what do I do when It goes south! Oh me oh my.

BUT HEY I would STILL like to read your comments about HDMI... vs VGA, for TEXT... really...

woodsmoke
    Last edited by woodsmoke; Feb 06, 2019, 02:58 AM.
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
    X