This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless mouse compatibilty

My mouse stopped recharging the battery and since Logitech Wireless mice have trouble working with Kubuntu -Their wired mice apparently work just fine-, then I decided to go with a different company. So what is the best brand/model of wireless mouse to use with Kubutu 18.10/19.04?

Oops, I might have posted to the wrong subforum by mistake. I was trying a search and didn't find the answer so I posted a new thread and I think I accedentally got in the wrong subforum. A forum navigation error when backing out of the search list.
    Last edited by steve7233; Jan 31, 2019, 05:41 PM.
    Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

Logitech is the best brand, to be honest. Microsoft make good mice as well. Gamong mice should work, but may be tricky to configure al the 5674.7 buttons and the 588694 LED color schemes they have

I have at least 3 different Logitech mice currently, and it has been my usual choice for them for at least 10 years. I have had zero issue ever with them. They have all been low end to medium price mice, no gaming mice or anything like that. I also have a no name 5 dollar mouse, and a n MS mouse. All work out of the box. This is mostly something that people don't even have to think about, as the mouse protocols are well established and universally used. While the signal between the mouse and the dongle can be whatever the manufacturer wants, the interface to the computer is bog-standard on the USB side of the dongle.

For that matter, I have never had a mouse compatibility issue with any wireless mouse, probably ever as in going back to my first ever wireless unit.

Comment

Well, it seems some computers running Kubuntu do have problems with the wireless versions of Logitech Mice. I have the Performace MX from Logitech and when I click it almost always gets a double or triple click out of a single click! Adjusting in settings doesn't seem to have any effect. Maybe it's the percision DPI settings.
      Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

Comment

Interesting with all the gaming mice out there, you would think the KDE CNTRL for mouse settings would have a DPI configuration but it does not! Does Logitech have a Linux mouse DPI Linux kernel module -driver-?

Comment

dpi is for the laser tracking and is not associated with the buttons.

Anyway, it seems that this mouse is well known to develop this problem, and is unrelated to the OS at all

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
            dpi is for the laser tracking and is not associated with the buttons.

Anyway, it seems that this mouse is well known to develop this problem, and is unrelated to the OS at all
            Wow, I didn't know so many people were having the same problem as I am with this one Logitech wireless mouse. Looks like Logitech designed a bad mouse. That's a surprise since Logitech is known for designing great computer mice but it looks like this time they laid a rather large egg! Probably Chineese manufacturing.

Comment

I've always gone with Logitech when I purchased new and they last forever, but they are simple mice.

I also have two of the Microsoft(tm) combo ergonomic keyboards and mouse that are wireless and both of the mice finally just died.

And I know that this is about wireless but if I could I'd mention that I purchased two of these gaming mice last summer and they are AWSOME.

I have small hands and this thing is one of the first to actually fit my hand, very comfortable and also his well lighted with variable colours etc to go along with my wall computer lights.

https://www.amazon.com/HV-MS672-3200.../dp/B00KKAQYXM

And I also purchased an accompanying lighted mouse pad.

I do not think that i will go back to a "regular" mouse again.

So finished with hijacking the thread.

woodsmoke
              sigpic
              Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

will this one work with Kubuntu 18.10/19.04? https://smile.amazon.com/Logitech-Ma..._title_ce?th=1

Comment

As stated earlier, Logitech and MS wired mice work really well. Wireless mice depend on a clear/clean signal between the mouse and the USB receiver plugged into the PC or laptop. There are all kinds of opportunity for signal interference. Unless you absolutely have to be farther from the PC/laptop than the length of the wired mouse's wire, use a wired mouse.

It's just unbelievably easy
                  The next brick house on the left
                  Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
                    Wireless mice depend on a clear/clean signal between the mouse and the USB receiver plugged into the PC or laptop. There are all kinds of opportunity for signal interference.
                    If I'm using a wireless mouse on a desktop, I use a male-female USB cable so that the dongle can be placed quite close to the mouse.
                    Unless you absolutely have to be farther from the PC/laptop than the length of the wired mouse's wire, use a wired mouse.
                    Wired mice have disadvantages. For me the wire is a nuisance, as it interferes with fine mouse movement. I've had the wire fail, from being bent so often; I knew someone whose wired mice only lasted a year or so with the wire failing.
                    Regards, John Little

Comment

Fine mouse movement, at least to this old guy, is small movement wherein the mouse moves in small circles or lines or whatever geometric shape. The wire almost never moves at all in that scenario. Yes, when I move my wired mouse from one side to the other, or to another screen, sometimes the wire gets hung up or cramped up. Never had a wire actual break in years of using wired mice, so I can't speak to that. The mouse itself wears out at the button level, or the laser fails, and once every few years a wired mouse does fail.

In my opinion, a wireless mouse is only useful when there is distance between the user and the display/PC/laptop - such as a large flat screen TV across the room, and the user is in the easy chair on the other side of the room. I get it, there is more than one use case for a wireless mouse, and it is your choice. I have the opposite view, and the wired mouse comes out on top.

Now, I have to admit that I have project I'm working on involving a Raspberry PI and an old laptop screen. The RPI uses a wireless mouse and a wireless keyboard; it could use wired versions, but I don't want to use up my few USB ports. So, I will employ a use case for wireless. Once built, the RPI will be used where the screen is on a wall in one place, a set of speakers will be nearby, and the wireless peripherals elsewhere with no desk involved, except maybe a small stand of some sort.
                      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

My last Logitech mouse - at a cost of about $80 - lasted less than a year then developed a static charge problem requiring me to pull the batteries and click the buttons for a few minutes then re-install the batteries. That too was well known. It got worse and worse until I was doing it more than once a day. I won't be buying any more Logitech products after that one.

Now I buy $8 Technet mice from Amazon and they all are still in use.

Please Read Me

Comment

well I'll mention ...again... lol...cy customized version of KDE Neon dev stable that I call Kparadigm shift.

It is on my large screen t.v. and the dongle for this version of a 'wireless mouse" is on the tower that sits beside the tv on a shelf.

I use the "Gyration Airmouse" and attendant wireless keyboard while standing in the kitchen making coffee which is approximately twenty (20) feet away, or, of course, anywhere else. If I am sitting at my work computer the Gyration is on a mousepad and I use it like a regular mouse.

Now... it is not intended to be an "on mat" mouse but it works fine that way, there are slider pads and it works fine but it is not really designed to "fit the hand when on a mat" it is intended to be held rather like a "wand"...

But, I have used it with several iterations of Kubuntu in addittion to Neon and have written about it for what... since... 2008?

It installs as a regular wheeled five button mouse, and each button and the wheel are customizable, no special drivers are needed.

The attendant keyboard has a similar distance but is...well... small it does not have a ten-key pad because it is intended to be used as a kind of... don't know...maybe an e-mail, music playing etc. keyboard since the whole system is intended to be used while...moving around the room.

I presently use the keyboard on a "stand up' thing from a hospital which is on wheels and can be moved as needed depending on the activity from just answering e-mails to hosting a party!

The whole system works peachy keen with Plasma Media Center.

THE ONE THING that one cannot do is "drag" the mouse "in the air. to drag something like an image over a desktop or "select" text one has to place it on a surface.

But then I just don't use it for that, however, if I am going to do stuff like that I can, I just have to place it on a surface. I have a few hard mouse pads placed strategically around the apartment.

Because it has a very LONG range...up to a hundred (100) feet, although the farthest that I have tested it is maybe ... fifty feet, the battery lasts maybe ... oh... a few hours... it has a charging cradle so I just always keep it in the cradle.

I had to replace the battery about two years ago and had to take it to a "battery shop" that actually has technicians because I couldn't get the case open in a way that I thought would not permanently damage it. The tech use a really fine little screwdriver type thing ...he said this kind of thing is common to force people to buy new but...he replaced the battery which is a "pack" of three in a plastic wrapper with special leads.

However, he said that next time that I could pop it apart with a fingernail and replace the battery my self...I said that was awfully nice and how would they make money on that and he replied something like "We cannot NOT make money here!" and guess what I'm going to purchase a repl;acement from them!

I know this thing is not what was the intent of the thread but just thought I'd throw it in.

woodsmoke

https://www.amazon.com/Gyration-Air-...14382109&psc=1

Last edited by woodsmoke; Feb 03, 2019, 01:18 PM.
                          sigpic
                          Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

I am now using -delivered a few minutes ago-, a Logitech MX MASTER 2S. This thing is a professional mouse. It can control up to 3 computers at the press of a button. Not sure if that feature will work with Linux. It works for Windows and Mac. Hopefully, they make a Linux program or there's an open source version.

Sweet no more double, triple or quadruple clicks when I click just once.

Comment

O.K., not just a wireless mouse, but a very expensive, gaming wireless mouse. Don't know about controlling 3 PCs, but there seems to be Linux support for this monster - just from a quick Google
                              logitech mx master 2s linux

Comment

Working...
                              X