X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hover popup text obscured black background

Hi
    I quite realize that this is a very old release but it is my working OS so... it does great, why change it?

Well, a possible CAUSE of the problem is that it is an upgrade from 12.04. I know...why! ? lol... well lots apps but...

It does not "update" at all lately, it did update a year or so ago, don't remember when.

the problem which occurred a year or so ago is irritating but not debilitating. However, it has become more irritating and I have spent several months searching for a solution both in the OS and on the net.

I think that the reason that I have not found a solution on the net is because I may not be using the correct search terms however here goes:

Think of when you hover the mouse over a "link" and an informational "popup box" appears with expanded text for a place ON THE NET. The reason why it has become somewhat irritating is that the college has moved to the "Canvas" Learning Management System which is all "on the net" and works through MS Cloud. There are times when I hover something it produces the black informational popup box. I normally do not even pay attention to such but the whole Canvas thing is complex and sometimes "a button" is not self explanatory and one needs to see the text.

Normally, the "background" of the popup box is "white" and the text is "black".

What occurs is that the background is black and text is black so that one cannot read the text as normal. If one gets right down on the screen and leans this way or that to obtain a maybe tangential view then one can "somewhat" see that the text is, indeed there.

At first it occurred to me that maybe there was something going on with the dark and light themes but the "default" theme is enabled for Firefox.

It "may" be that at some time I enabled the dark theme when I was fiddling with the OS to go along with creating an "ambience" for the room with my homebuilt computers etc. But I don't remember that.

There are "light", "dark" and "default". themes for Firefox. Again, the default is enabled.

I INVARIABLY run a straight stock OS in terms of "tweaks" I just do not do "tweaks" except maybe changing the panel height etc.

So, I have searched in every part of the OS that I can think of clicking this and that and things DO CHANGE but not that particular thing.

And I have searched the web but words like popup and window and things like that are ubiquitous. I did find a couple of very old questions that kind of matched mine but, nobody answered.

So, the question is this: Does anyone know of "the" place in settings where if I click "it" that it will restore the default for the popup box?

Or, is there possibly a combination of things?

OR it may just be the way that the OLD OS interacts with the newer HTML of the net, in other words "a bug" but it is probably the ONLY INSTANCE of the " BUG", because there does not seem to be a long list of complaints on the net, so if it is that, then ok, I'll just put up with it.

I don't know that I really want to get into "command line" stuff that changes things way down in the guts and over which I don't have some kind of ..."observation of what should happen"...Because the OS does function fine for work but this is just an irritation.

So, any help would be GREATLY apprecated!

woodthanksaheadoftimesmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

WOAH!! PLEASE READ THE FIRST POST...

But... I have no reason as to why it occurred to me to open Chromium and try it but I did and GUESS WHAT!!!!

the hover box appears with a BLACK BACKGROUND and WHITE TEXT...

so, it MIGHT BE that it is some kind of "update interaction" with Chromium and Firefox a year or so ago!

Just a thought.

woodsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Lol
      well I have done just about EVERYTHING!!

a) one thing is that the "little black box hovery thing" is called...a..."link"...I guess that I should have known that but...anyway, i actually FOUND a post that described my situation and it used that name.

There were a variety of answers which i tried and non worked.

I even...upgraded Trusty! lol... still same...

and Chromium works correctly, so it appears...pun not intended, that i will be using Chromium when I am in the Canvas LMS at the college.

here is the link which may, or may not, be helpfule to someone else.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1211143

if any happens to come across an answer, no matter the date, please holler because I would really rather use FF.

woodsmoke
      sigpic
      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

It would be helpful if you posted an image of your problem.

When one hovers over a link in a web page, two things can happen:
        A popup appears in the lower left corner of the browser window. That popup "expands" the link entirely unless it's a shortened url (which I usually then avoid).
        A popup, better known as a tooltip, appears near the link providing information about the first few lines of the page. I see that both here (see the image), and at ubuntuforums.org:
        Attached Files
        Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

hi chimak!
          Thank you very much for the suggestion but...well...

I have NO CLUE why I decided to fiddle with the settings in application but...this is "a" fix, however it applies to all of the "dropdowns" for information
          System settings
          Application Appearance
          colors
          common colors
          tooltip background select a color from the box.
          It applies to a lot of things but...at least the link background is to where I can read the text.
          It "may" be possible to find another one of the items in 'common colors" that will change the link background.

the problem may just be figuring out the correct NAME ...

One item is that I had the black background for internet links but did NOT have it for other things...

the NEW selection applies to all of the boxes on the system and Firefox.

lol...this may have been altered when I installed that dark theme...don't know, I have removed it so...

But, hey thanks for the suggestion!

woody
          sigpic
          Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
          X