X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Desktop fails to start, stuck in a login loop

Hello!

As the title suggests, I'm stuck in a login loop. My system and all software is up to date (as of Tuesday Jan 22). Can't tell if this should be places in the KDE, X, or PLASMA forums, as I'm having a hard time understanding the issue.

I had earlier been using these two resources (https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/1649523?hl=en and https://askubuntu.com/questions/9627...al-desktop-ses) to get Google Remote Desktop working with Kubuntu. I was successful, and it didn't seem to break my install. It had me create a ~/.chrome-remote-desktop file which tells the remote desktop service to create another desktop session to use. Maybe the existence of two sessions broke something? Prior to rebooting and hitting the login loop, I was customizing my desktop background/icons, etc. It's entirely possible I messed something up when troubleshooting the remote desktop connection, or something else.

When I get to the GUI login manager, I enter my password, hit enter, and the screen goes black for about 3-8 seconds, then the initialization pops back up (black background, wall of text starting things up again), then brings me back to the login page. If I enter the password again, it goes back to the initialization, then back to the login, so on and so forth.

If I hit ctrl+alt+F3, I'm able to drop to the console/terminal and login. Here is the output of my ~/.xsession-errors:

Code:
    Xsession: X session started for mjanik at Tue Jan 22 13:25:03 EST 2019
    dbus-update-activation-environment: setting DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=unix:path=/run/user/1000/bus
    dbus-update-activation-environment: setting DISPLAY=:0
    dbus-update-activation-environment: setting XAUTHORITY=/home/mjanik/.Xauthority
    localuser:mjanik being added to access control list
    dbus-update-activation-environment: setting QT_ACCESSIBILITY=1
    dbus-update-activation-environment: setting LANG=en_CA.UTF-8
    dbus-update-activation-environment: setting DISPLAY=:0
    dbus-update-activation-environment: setting PAM_KWALLET5_LOGIN=/run/user/1000/kwallet5.socket
    dbus-update-activation-environment: setting MANDATORY_PATH=/usr/share/gconf/plasma.mandatory.path
    dbus-update-activation-environment: setting USER=mjanik
    dbus-update-activation-environment: setting DESKTOP_SESSION=plasma
    dbus-update-activation-environment: setting DEFAULTS_PATH=/usr/share/gconf/plasma.default.path
    dbus-update-activation-environment: setting PWD=/home/mjanik
    dbus-update-activation-environment: setting HOME=/home/mjanik
    dbus-update-activation-environment: setting QT_ACCESSIBILITY=1
    dbus-update-activation-environment: setting XDG_SESSION_TYPE=x11
    dbus-update-activation-environment: setting XDG_DATA_DIRS=/usr/share/plasma:/usr/local/share:/usr/share:/var/lib/snapd/desktop
    dbus-update-activation-environment: setting XDG_SESSION_DESKTOP=KDE
    dbus-update-activation-environment: setting SHELL=/bin/bash
    dbus-update-activation-environment: setting XDG_SESSION_CLASS=user
    dbus-update-activation-environment: setting XDG_SEAT_PATH=/org/freedesktop/DisplayManager/Seat0
    dbus-update-activation-environment: setting IM_CONFIG_PHASE=1
    dbus-update-activation-environment: setting XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=KDE
    dbus-update-activation-environment: setting GPG_AGENT_INFO=/run/user/1000/gnupg/S.gpg-agent:0:1
    dbus-update-activation-environment: setting SHLVL=1
    dbus-update-activation-environment: setting LOGNAME=mjanik
    dbus-update-activation-environment: setting DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=unix:path=/run/user/1000/bus
    dbus-update-activation-environment: setting XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=/run/user/1000
    dbus-update-activation-environment: setting PAM_KWALLET_LOGIN=/run/user/1000/kwallet.socket
    dbus-update-activation-environment: setting XAUTHORITY=/home/mjanik/.Xauthority
    dbus-update-activation-environment: setting XDG_SESSION_PATH=/org/freedesktop/DisplayManager/Session1
    dbus-update-activation-environment: setting XDG_CONFIG_DIRS=/etc/xdg/xdg-plasma:/etc/xdg:/usr/share/kubuntu-default-settings/kf5-settings
    dbus-update-activation-environment: setting PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/games:/snap/bin
    dbus-update-activation-environment: setting _=/usr/bin/dbus-update-activation-environment
    kcm_input: Using X11 backend
    startkde: Starting up...
    kdeinit5: preparing to launch '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libexec/kf5/klauncher'
    kdeinit5: Launched KLauncher, pid = 1803, result = 0
    Waiting for already running klauncher to exit.
    Another instance of klauncher is already running!
    kdeinit5: Communication error with launcher. Exiting!
    kdeinit5_wrapper: Warning: connect(/run/user/1000/kdeinit5__0) failed: : Connection refused

Qt: Session management error: networkIdsList argument is NULL
    Configuring Lock Action
    ksmserver: "/run/user/1000/KSMserver"
    ksmserver: KSMServer: SetAProc_loc: conn  0 , prot= local , file= @/tmp/.ICE-unix/1807
    ksmserver: KSMServer: SetAProc_loc: conn  1 , prot= unix , file= /tmp/.ICE-unix/1807
    ksmserver: KSMServer::restoreSession  "saved at previous logout"
    startkde: Shutting down...
    kdeinit5_wrapper: Warning: connect(/run/user/1000/kdeinit5__0) failed: : Connection refused
    Error: Can not contact kdeinit5!
    startkde: Done.
    Qt: Couldn't interpret the _XKB_RULES_NAMES property
    Could not connect to any X display.
    I have tried removing .Xauthority, to no avail. I've also tried several troubleshooting methods relating to the .xsession-errors output using google, etc., but I I can't seem to find anything that has actually worked. Some red flags that stood out to me, but I haven't been able to find resolutions for:

Code:
    Another instance of klauncher is already running!
    kdeinit5: Communication error with launcher. Exiting!
    Code:
    Error: Can not contact kdeinit5!
    Code:
    Could not connect to any X display.
    Hopefully somebody here will be able to shed some light on the situation. I'll provide more info on the system if need be! I LOVE Kubuntu! After updating everything was running so smoothly on my system for a day or two, then I think I messed it up, haha.

Thanks again for all the help!
    All the best.

Welcome. From the provided data in your post, you appear to be 'more experienced' with Linux, and the command line then what we would call a 'newbie'. Can you check for the amount of available space remaining in the root partition?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks! I can't seem to change my 'Newbie' status. I'm assuming this depends on how many times I've posted?
      I'm actually tri-booting on an SSD with Windows (sda4), Mac OS (sda2), and Kubuntu (sda3). The Kubuntu install is on it's own partition on the drive. That partition is sda3, and seems to be formatted as Microsoft Basic Data, according to fdisk.

df -k shows some temporary file systems, but as far as I can see the root partition is on the same partition as everything else Kubuntu-wise? It's been a while since I installed it, actually. sda1 is the drive's EFI

sda3 seems to have been used up by 54%

sudo fdisk -l

Code:
      Disk /dev/sda: 931.9 GiB, 1000555581440 bytes, 1954210120 sectors
      Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
      Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
      I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
      Disklabel type: gpt
      Disk identifier: D2FC051C-1152-4ED9-826C-AA14A696B65B

Device          Start        End    Sectors   Size Type
      /dev/sda1          40     409639     409600   200M EFI System
      /dev/sda2      409640 1268494959 1268085320 604.7G unknown
      /dev/sda3  1268494960 1368604671  100109712  47.8G Microsoft basic data
      /dev/sda4  1368866816 1954209791  585342976 279.1G Microsoft basic data
      df -k

Code:
      Filesystem     1K-blocks     Used Available Use% Mounted on
      udev            32938744        0  32938744   0% /dev
      tmpfs            6593816     2252   6591564   1% /run
      /dev/sda3       49006956 25049948  21437884  54% /
      tmpfs           32969080        0  32969080   0% /dev/shm
      tmpfs               5120        4      5116   1% /run/lock
      tmpfs           32969080        0  32969080   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
      /dev/sda1         201633    50917    150717  26% /boot/efi
      tmpfs            6593816       16   6593800   1% /run/user/1000
      tmpfs            6593816        0   6593816   0% /run/user/118

Comment

Originally posted by ymgenesis View Post
        Thanks! I can't seem to change my 'Newbie' status. I'm assuming this depends on how many times I've posted?
        I'm actually tri-booting on an SSD with Windows (sda4), Mac OS (sda2), and Kubuntu (sda3). The Kubuntu install is on it's own partition on the drive. That partition is sda3, and seems to be formatted as Microsoft Basic Data, according to fdisk.

df -k shows some temporary file systems, but as far as I can see the root partition is on the same partition as everything else Kubuntu-wise? It's been a while since I installed it, actually. sda1 is the drive's EFI

sda3 seems to have been used up by 54%

sudo fdisk -l

Code:
        Disk /dev/sda: 931.9 GiB, 1000555581440 bytes, 1954210120 sectors
        Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
        Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
        I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
        Disklabel type: gpt
        Disk identifier: D2FC051C-1152-4ED9-826C-AA14A696B65B

Device          Start        End    Sectors   Size Type
        /dev/sda1          40     409639     409600   200M EFI System
        /dev/sda2      409640 1268494959 1268085320 604.7G unknown
        [COLOR=#ff0000][B]/dev/sda3  1268494960 1368604671  100109712  47.8G Microsoft basic data[/B][/COLOR]
        /dev/sda4  1368866816 1954209791  585342976 279.1G Microsoft basic data
        That isn't right. The partition type should be showing as ext4 (assuming that was the FS you chose; it's the 'default' choice). This was a working -- "I could boot into it Kubuntu" before this mishap?
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I'm actually responding from Kubuntu right now! It was definitely an issue with the damned google chrome remote desktop .deb install. It was starting a desktop session on startup, I believe. I was able to kill it using htop and uninstall anything chrome-related. I then restarted sddm (sudo service sddm restart), logged in, and my desktop showed up! Which is where I'm at now. Not sure if this will last a reboot. Will have to report back.

Question: Does plasma allow two desktop 'sessions' to be ran at once? Maybe X server doesn't... or KDE for that matter. No idea.

But yes, I thought that was very strange, as well. I have no idea why fdisk is reading it that way, but everything is working on my end. Here's a shot of Gparted, showing ext4.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190122_151954.png
Views:	1
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	644119

Going to reboot and see what happens...

Success! So it just looks like the Google Chrome Remote Desktop package doesn't exactly play nice with Kubuntu 18.04. For what it's worth, I had it working for a while, and was able to connect remotely from my phone during tests, which was nice! But after a reboot I guess it created a discrepancy, or something. I used apt-cache search chrome to find the chrome-remote-desktop-beta .deb package I had installed from the link I provided in my first post, and removed it. Also removed Google Chrome for good measure.

Everything seems to be sorted, now. Time to make a partition image with dd, haha.
          Last edited by ymgenesis; Jan 22, 2019, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X