This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell Inspiron-7577 Live System Issues

My System: Dell Inspiron-7577, 16GB Ram, 128GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Nvidia 1050Ti & Intel Integrated Graphics

I tried to load the live system of an Kubuntu 18.10 USB-Stick. As soon as I clicked on the "Try Kubuntu" Button the screen froze, still displaying the selection menu between "Try" and "Install". At this point, I cannot move the mouse cursor and pushing any keys, even Ctrl+Alt+Del has no effect.

I tried installing it from this USB Stick too, but not to the Laptops harddrive, but to another separate 16GB USB-Stick plugged into the computer, but it got stuck while creating partitions, at 33%. I did it that way because I did not want to uselessly destroy my current installation.

I checked the checksum of the downloaded image, ran the "check disk" option from the USB-Stick and it is OK.
    When trying the same USB-Stick on different Hardware it runs flawlessly.

Interestingly, if I run Ubuntu 18.10 Live from an USB-Stick on my laptop it works flawlessly and KDE Neon Live booting of an USB-Stick works fine too.

Is anyone aware of what exactly causes this issue and how it could be solved?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by karl2000; Jan 21, 2019, 03:06 PM. Reason: Clarification concerning USB-Stick/Drive

To be clear, when you say "I tried to load the live system of an Kubuntu 18.10 USB-Drive.", are you meaning an external HDD connected via USB, and when you say "Interestingly, if I run an Ubuntu 18.10 live USB it works flawlessly...", are you meaning a USB stick?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

No, both of the times I am speaking of the standard ISO downloaded from the respective websites put on a normal 8GB USB-Stick via dd. It is the very same USB-Stick that is working with Kubuntu on it on my other computers and the very same that is working with Ubuntu or KDE Neon on it on my laptop.
      Therefore it should not be the USB-Sticks fault.

It occurs to me as very strange that those two distros work on the laptop, while Kubuntu does not, as they are all relatively similar. (All being based on Ubuntu and KDE Neon, while being based on an older Ubuntu version, using the K Desktop Environment too)

Thank you very mich for bothering!

I updated my original post for clarification.

Comment

Review this: https://www.dell.com/support/article...ooting?lang=en

Comment

It works that way! Thank you very much!

Just out of interest: Do you know why exactly it does not normally work with Kubuntu, but with the other distros? If you do not know, it is no problem, I am just curious.

Comment

My guess is that it's just how the kernel that ships with Kubuntu 18.10 (maybe earlier version also?) was compiled.

Comment

Working...
            X