This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keyboard Indicator System Tray Icon

No matter how many config files I edit or icons I replace, i simply cannot get this icon to change. Does anyone know how to do this? It's driving me nuts! I have also deleted cache and still, nothing. I've tried it in the desktop theme, replaced every instance of the icon in icon themes, and yet it remains. It is the icon in the attached picture of my system tray.
    Attached Files

Would be my guess that the keyboard indicator icon provided with the theme you are using isn't colored; it's black/white.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Those icons may or may not be in your theme, therefore reloading the theme, icon cache, etc. is doing nothing.

Look at /usr/share/plasma/desktoptheme/defaut/icons/keyboard.svgz and that's what you're seeing. The icons only change if the theme includes them. You can either edit the default, find a theme with what you want in it, or - and this is the best way to go IMO - copy the default icon into Inkscape, edit it to your liking, edit the theme you are using and include the new icon file.

What icon theme are you using?

Please Read Me

Comment

I'm using my AmigaBuntu theme that I made myself.I actually did try to include this icon in my theme, but it still does not appear. I made my own by taking the dimentions inside the file mentioned, and then replacing the images with the icons i want. saved it, and placed in directory of my theme, but it does not work. Also, the directory you mentioned has a black colored keyboard icon whereas the one showing for me is white. Also, when i change to a plasma desktop theme that does include an icon for this, for example, oxygen, it still does not show the oxygen keyboard icon but the same one as shown above.

Edit: I just tried also replacing the icon in /usr/share/plasma/desktoptheme/defaut/icons/keyboard.svgz, but it did not work. I tried changing themes and changing back, clearing cache, rebooting. No luck.
        Last edited by Oderus; Jan 18, 2019, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Any thoughts on this out there? I have been trying to fix this issue for quite some time with no luck. I also cannot seem to find the developer contact information to ask them.

Comment

AFAICT the icon is from Breeze-dark, /usr/share/icons/breeze-dark/devices/22/input-keyboard.svg

(I strongly dislike the Breeze stuff; I see horrible Apple brain-damage via the iPad.)

I use Humanity-Dark, which I've hacked to inherit from Humanity,oxygen,Adwaita and hicolor to get more visible icons than the appalling @##$#$@ Breeze ones, which end up as variations of grey on grey with dark colour schemes. But I suspect that because none of Humanity-Dark, Humanity, oxygen, or Adwaita have size 22 icons, I get the Breeze icons in the system tray and the show hidden icons pop-up.

If you have a working, colourful, icon theme for a dark colour scheme, I find that very interesting.
            Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
              AFAICT the icon is from Breeze-dark, /usr/share/icons/breeze-dark/devices/22/input-keyboard.svg

(I strongly dislike the Breeze stuff; I see horrible Apple brain-damage via the iPad.)

I use Humanity-Dark, which I've hacked to inherit from Humanity,oxygen,Adwaita and hicolor to get more visible icons than the appalling @##$#$@ Breeze ones, which end up as variations of grey on grey with dark colour schemes. But I suspect that because none of Humanity-Dark, Humanity, oxygen, or Adwaita have size 22 icons, I get the Breeze icons in the system tray and the show hidden icons pop-up.

If you have a working, colourful, icon theme for a dark colour scheme, I find that very interesting.
              I replaced the icon you mentioned, deleted all my cache, rebooted, and.. same icon hah. Here's the Desktop theme I made, and am using. Also tried adding a keyboard indicator applet icon to this theme using various names, and no luck.

https://store.kde.org/p/1177380/

Comment

I have now gone as far as searching for every instance of "input-keyboard*" on my system and replacing all that appear that way. I have also looked for the caplock on icon the indicator uses, also to no avail. I am totally stumped on this one.

Comment

I have finally found the solution... apparently the keyboard-indicator used to use the calculator icons but it had been updated. I discovered this here : https://phabricator.kde.org/T9050

After reading this, i used KFind to locate the file, input.svgz here : /usr/share/plasma/desktoptheme/default/icons/input.svgz

Editing this file is a pain, I must admit, since you must not only resize, copy, and paste, your new icons in place, but must also edit the object properties to reflect the settings file for the keyboard-indicator, or just copy them from the old icon before deletion.

But there it is, that's the file, and that's how to edit it. Hope this helps someone.

Comment

Originally posted by Oderus View Post
                    I have finally found the solution... apparently the keyboard-indicator used to use the calculator icons but it had been updated. I discovered this here : https://phabricator.kde.org/T9050

After reading this, i used KFind to locate the file, input.svgz here : /usr/share/plasma/desktoptheme/default/icons/input.svgz

Editing this file is a pain, I must admit, since you must not only resize, copy, and paste, your new icons in place, but must also edit the object properties to reflect the settings file for the keyboard-indicator, or just copy them from the old icon before deletion.

But there it is, that's the file, and that's how to edit it. Hope this helps someone.
                    Here is my finished theme, in case anyone would like to use it instead of the default one.

https://www.opendesktop.org/p/1295788/
                    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                    X