Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE old geezers... I'm old enough to seriously worry about getting a fix for Dolphin root access in my lifetime... Yeah, Krusader works, but it isn't in my work flow pattern.

@Don B. Cilly: Absolutely right about it being my system to mess up, not the developer's... I've outlived my nanny!
    [rant off]

PS: "Get Off My Lawn, Punk!"
    Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.1, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Originally posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
      Well, that's an improvement (over 14.04).
      In 14.04, it just said something along the lines of "The file could not be saved - puss off" and not offer to enter a password.
      Good to know.

Still, I maintain that if I like to bung up my system, it's my choice, not the developer's.
      Yep, that IS your choice. The problem is for most people if THEY bung up their system THEY will blame the developers. No win.

The best compromise is to let the editor open the file, and then prompt YOU for YOUR password to actually save the file, if the file has privileges assigned. That way no one bungs up their system inadvertently, no screaming at the devs, and a protected file stays protected.
      The next brick house on the left
      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
        The best compromise is to let the editor open the file, and then prompt YOU for YOUR password to actually save the file, if the file has privileges assigned.
        I agree. That is the best compromise.
        I said it was an improvement, too :·)

Thing is, well, obviously, I didn't know about it. 14.04 didn't have it.

Anyway, 18.04 I really like.
        Discover I got rid of, conky I'll get used to, the clock is a shame but who cares... if I could just have the clouds and stars back I'd be perfectly happy.

Comment

Hmm. 18.04 is getting to be "almost, but not quite, entirely unlike" as good as 14.04

For the wallpaper, I'm trying xplanetfx. It's in the repositories.
          A bit clunky and limited in configurability... I'm hacking at it, there's python scripts and things... it makes an Earth image (with clouds) every X minutes.
          Set the wallpaper to slideshow for the same interval, tell it to get the images from there (in my case ~/.xplanetFX/output/) and...

Click image for larger version

Name:	xplscreen.png
Views:	1
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	644192

Getting there...

Comment

Working...
          X