This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fixing Gramps incomplete GTK translation error message

I don't know if this is the correct place to post this, and maybe this fix has been posted before, but I couldn't find it in the forum. But just in case it is of any help to anyone else...I ran into this small issue only on my Kubuntu install (18.10).

When I launched the Gramps genealogy application, I would first get an incomplete GTK translation error message. I could just ignore it and the application seemed to run just fine, but it was an annoyance. I found a solution listed in a discussion on sourceforge to install the package language-pack-gnome-en, which I did through synaptic. This seems to have solved the problem.

Hope this helps.

Hi
    Thank you!
    I really did make an attempt to use GRAMPS about ten years ago because I actually do geneaology for my family and the first book that I published was a genealology for another person which was done "manually" using his "stuff in a shoebox" that he wanted me to turn into a polished work.

I have not since used it because I had ran, I think, into a similar situation a few years ago and so decided to use a "leftover" copy of Family Tree Maker.

There also used to be an interface for "gen web" which is now disappeared, so,.. I've kind of dropped the project and have just been "collecting stuff" but I'll install GRAMPS again because of this thread!

Thank you!
    woody.

ADDENDUM... if there are others who are using or have used GRAMPS could you maybe just post a "yes" in the furtherance of gauging interest in the app?
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

I use it quite a bit because I inherited a lot of old family gedcom files, and GRAMPS is a nice app for opening and exploring those. It works well for me.

I think this error message may be a *buntu issue rather than a KDE issue,...at least that is what the discussion on SourceForge implied. I know I had opened an older version of GRAMPS on Debian Stretch (KDE) and the current version 5 on MX-18 (XFCE) with no issue.

Update:
      The highest version of GRAMPS available in the software repository for the LM 18.3 is 4.2.2; which gave no error message. I did not want to upgrade LM on that machine just to test the higher version. "Don't mess with happy".
      Last edited by papakanush; Jan 11, 2019, 05:33 AM. Reason: Update

Comment

I had the same issue, except it was in French, with Gramps 5.0.1 and Kubuntu 18.10.
        The solution given by papakanush worked: I installed language-pack-gnome-en AND language-pack-gnome-fr, both found on Synaptic.
        Many thanks to papakanush!

Comment

Well thanks to this thread and papakanush and the rest of the respondents I find that for KDE Neon user edition Gramps works for me for ENGLISH.

woodthankeesmok
          sigpic
          Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
          X