This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LibreOffice icon insists on being a 'favorite' app

This appears to be a bizarre issue. I recently installed Kubuntu 18.10 on a brand new laptop. After installation, I straightaway added the LibreOffice PPA and installed LibreOffice from the repository. After installation, the LibreOffice icon decided to mark itself a 'favorite' app and showed up in my Application Menu. I right-clicked on it and removed it from my favorites but it refuses to go away! All other apps have no issue in obeying this but LibreOffice. Does it happen to anyone else? Is there a way to somehow force LibreOffice icon off the favorites list?

I'm on KDE neon, not 18.10, but I don't see that. I'm sure someone on 18.10 will come along!

But, can you please check if you have files or folders owned by root in your home folder?

Code:
    ls -lR $HOME | grep root
    may help. The command may take a while to execute and there maybe some "noise" from files/folders with "root" in their names but you can still figure things out by looking at the permissions.
    Last edited by chimak111; Jan 07, 2019, 10:32 PM.
    Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

> can you please check if you have files or folders owned by root in your home folder?
      Nope. I don't have any.

Comment

What does this produce?

cat ~/.config/kactivitymanagerd-statsrc

Please Read Me

Comment

Code:
          [Favorites-org.kde.plasma.kicker.favorites.instance-22-f7b4d924-f250-4640-9994-633065e4328e]
          ordering=preferred://browser,applications:org.kde.konsole.desktop,applications:atom.desktop,applications:org.kde.dolphin.desktop,applications:systemsettings.desktop

[Favorites-org.kde.plasma.kicker.favorites.instance-22-global]
          ordering=preferred://browser,applications:org.kde.konsole.desktop,applications:atom.desktop,applications:org.kde.dolphin.desktop,applications:systemsettings.desktop

[Favorites-org.kde.plasma.kickoff.favorites.instance-3-f7b4d924-f250-4640-9994-633065e4328e]
          ordering=preferred://browser,org.kde.discover.desktop,org.kde.kontact.desktop,org.kde.kate.desktop,org.kde.dolphin.desktop,org.kde.ksysguard.desktop,systemsettings.desktop,org.kde.konsole.desktop

[Favorites-org.kde.plasma.kickoff.favorites.instance-3-global]
          ordering=preferred://browser,org.kde.discover.desktop,org.kde.kontact.desktop,org.kde.kate.desktop,org.kde.dolphin.desktop,org.kde.ksysguard.desktop,systemsettings.desktop,org.kde.konsole.desktop
          But my menu looks like this:
          Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-01-08_14-02.png
Views:	1
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	644090

Comment

Odd behavior. Not seeing it here of course. I did try switching to various other "Alternatives" of the menus and Discover and Firefox insert themselves every time I switch menus, but they are easily removed. Have you tried switching from Kicker to Dashboard and back again?

Please Read Me

Comment

Have you tried switching from Kicker to Dashboard and back again?
              Yes. I tried that multiple times. It's the same story every time :-(
              I have another machine on which Kubuntu came with LibreOffice that I had upgraded to the one from LibreOffice PPA. I don't see any issues there. In this case, I did a minimal Kubuntu install which does not come with LibreOffice preinstalled. After installing Kubuntu, I added the LibreOffice PPA and installed the version from the PPA directly. Not sure how that should affect this but that's the only thing I can think of...

Comment

Originally posted by kayvee View Post
                This appears to be a bizarre issue. I recently installed Kubuntu 18.10 on a brand new laptop. After installation, I straightaway added the LibreOffice PPA and installed LibreOffice from the repository. After installation, the LibreOffice icon decided to mark itself a 'favorite' app and showed up in my Application Menu. I right-clicked on it and removed it from my favorites but it refuses to go away! All other apps have no issue in obeying this but LibreOffice. Does it happen to anyone else? Is there a way to somehow force LibreOffice icon off the favorites list?
                YES! It's been happening to me for a long time, and I have search high and low on the internet for a solution. I was about to ask here, but you beat me to it. My next step was an abusive comment to libreoffice. This is the most F-UP idea possible. It's my favourites, not theres. If they don't like it, they can shove it.

There has to be something somewhere telling the computer to add this everytime a boot or reboot my computer... Where would it's hiding spots be please, anyone?

Comment

I have this on 18.04. I found the error in ~/.config/kactivitymanagerd-statsrc, though.

kayvee, it seems as none of the paragrphs in your kactivitymanagerd-statsrc, matches your menu. Have you deleting the file and logging in again?

Comment

I just ignore those icons. If I want to use some application, I select it from the menu, not some "favorite" icon. If Kubuntu or the application doesn't like that - tough cookies, I use my machine the way I choose to use it
                    The next brick house on the left
                    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

I had the same issue on Manjaro KDE and Kubuntu and none of the above would fix it.
                      Here's what worked for me:

Note: You'll loose all the favorite's contents
                      . But you can simply recreate it adding what you want.

1. Removing the libreoffice entry from .config/kactivitymanagerd-statsrc
                      2. Removing the folder .local/share/kactivitymanagerd
                      3. Logoff and logon again

I found this one here: https://askubuntu.com/questions/9707...es-plasma-5-11

Comment

Working...
                      X