This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[DESKTOP] Post Install Questions - VLC and Konsole

First off, I want to say that 18.04 has been awesome. Aside from the usual hiccups that come up after a new install (Plasma still has a few stability issues, but not as many as in times past, and mostly when doing systray changes), it's been problem free. So what I have to ask isn't actually problems, but rather a few UI preference tweaks I need help with. First off is VLC. The only configuration question I have with that is the OSD. When going full screen, mousing over near the bottom causes it to pop up as expected, however, I have two things I'd like to tweak that I'm not sure how to do.

1. Move the OSD down to the very bottom of the screen like in times past. Right now there's about an inch gap between the bottom of the screen and the bottom of the OSD (the part with the play/sound controls and progress bar), and I'd like to eliminate that so that the bottom of the OSD is sitting flush with the bottom of the screen.

2. I'd like the OSD to linger on screen a bit longer than it does. Right now it goes away too fast (and to think that, in times past it didn't go away fast enough, lol), and I'd like to increase the delay on that a bit more.

That's all I have that I'd like to tweak with that. Now, with Konsole, I only have one tweak I'd like to make. Namely, making the tabs on the bottom wider. Right now they're WAY too small. In times past, the tabs would span the entire bottom of the window and would change in size depending on how many you had. So 1 tab took up 100%, two took up 50% each, three took up 33% each, and so on. I'd like to restore that functionality again, or at the very least expand the tabs to much larger than they are now. Are any of these desired tweaks possible, or am I kinda SOL on those? I mean, they're just minor stuff and I can live without them if I have to, but I'd really like to be able to make them if possible. Beyond those couple of tweaks, I really haven't had any issues with 18.04 so far, and I'm happy with that.

(well, actually I have had a few issues with 18.04, but those were nothing to do with the OS. It's the fault of my dirt old hardware)

I'm loving 18.04 also. It's practically perfect in so many ways. The fact that it works so well on a slow old CPU is really a wonder.

Sorry, I don't have any answers for you. I kinda like how the tabs are with konsole - so there
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Originally posted by megosdog View Post
      Now, with Konsole, I only have one tweak I'd like to make. Namely, making the tabs on the bottom wider. Right now they're WAY too small. In times past, the tabs would span the entire bottom of the window and would change in size depending on how many you had. So 1 tab took up 100%, two took up 50% each, three took up 33% each, and so on. I'd like to restore that functionality again, or at the very least expand the tabs to much larger than they are now.
      You can specify a width but then that width will not change if you have more or less tabs. Instead, you'll need to scroll in the direction you want using "<" and ">" found at the right-end of the tab bar. (I'm not well-versed in CSS and so the previous statement may well be rubbish!)

Konsole, in Settings -> Configure Konsole... -> TabBar, allows you to specify the use (and location) of a CSS file. See konsole-with-palette-colours.css

Here's a simple CSS example:

Code:
      QTabBar::tab {
       min-width: 200px
      }

QTabBar::tab
      {
       color: #333;
      }

QTabBar::tab:selected
      {
       font-weight: bold;
       color: #333;
       border-bottom: 3px solid red;
      }
      I wonder if other qt applications have css options for end-users to mess with
      Attached Files
      Last edited by chimak111; Jan 03, 2019, 09:56 PM.
      Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

chimak111: What you just suggested, and you show in your picture, is perfect. Having the tabs wider than they are, even if they spill off the screen, is perfect. It's not the dynamic tabs that I'd want, but I like the idea that I can make them wider than they are now. So that'll work perfectly. Of course, if this is all controlled with CSS, I wonder if I could add some that would dynamically scale and still give me the same end result?

Comment

Originally posted by megosdog View Post
          I wonder if I could add some that would dynamically scale and still give me the same end result?
          If you make any progress along these lines, do come back and share!
          Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Okay, so far I've figured out that the position of the status bar in VLC when maximized is dependent on the location of the taskbar. Apparently the latest KDE enforces that a LOT better than it did in times past. That's why it won't go any lower than it does, because it prevents intrusion onto the task bar. If you set the panel to "Windows can cover", it fixes the issue, but then creates other problems. So yeah, no gonna fuss with that. lol. Still working on Konsole though. We'll see where that goes.

Comment

Have you tried Yakuake? I use it way more often than konsole. When I do use console, mine looks like:
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190111_093613.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	644092

Please Read Me

Comment

Nope, haven't tried that yet. Been looking at some others as well, like Terminator. But, since I'm not in the console a lot anymore, I've been a little slow getting to it.

Comment

Working...
                X