X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Esata problem

Been away from the site for a while.
    I can't boot computer with esata devices on. Computer tries to boot from them, even after disabling them as boot devices. No problem, turn them off. After boot, turn them on again and they are not seen correctly. The internal sata devices on the card in a raid 1 config, work fine. Gparted will throw Error fsyncing/closing /dev/sde: Input.outpui error. They are not seen in blkid either. Forget what the internal card is and also forget how to find out in linux. One drive is a 1Gb drive I use for backup.

The other is a sisun all in 1 hdd dock system with card readers. first works in windows, the second can't seem to format a drive, but I am not sure if the 2 drives I tried still work.

Ideas on next troubleshooting steps? I intend to use this system to provide data recovery locally. Get dtaa off old drives and xfer to users choice of medium

This links to the amazon page where I bought the external device that is hooked to one esata port
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Comment

Could you tell us more about the computer? The esata port on my desktop is just connected to ordinary SATA port on the mother board, and as far as I can recall it behaves just like plugging devices into the motherboard.
      Regards, John Little

Comment

Sounds like a BIOS problem. My previous motherboard would reorder drives at boot time depending on which drive I booted to. My current one doesn't do that.

One possible workaround would be to install grub to the drive your computer wants to boot to. You can have grub on more than one device, you'd just have to remember to re-install grub to all the needed drives when the grub packages are upgraded. You would not have to do that just to make a change to grub.cfg.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
        X