X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't transfer songs from Rhythmbox to iPod 5 gen

Hello everyone!

The other day I went running and once I was back home I put my beloved iPod 5 gen in the pocket of my pants and put my pants in the washing machine. I hate myself for having done that. So I bought a new one online that I received today. Same generation (5) and apparently working. I connected it to my computer and it was recognized without any problem. I opened Rhythmbox which I used to curate all my music library (I rename the songs and put the right author etc...). The iPod appears in Rhythmbox. But when I try to copy a song from my library to my newly acquired iPod (in the exact same way as with the previous one) I receive an error:

Error transferring track: Error opening file '/media/aritz/iPod/iPod_Control/Music/F02/Agnes Obel - Familiar (O~KN.mp3': Read-only file system

This has to be related to the new iPod and not to my computer/music files because it was working perfectly before.

I looked online but didn't find anything very clear.

There is one other issue that I realized: the mp3 music files that I have on my computer do not (a priori) contain the headers (Title, author, etc...) that I patiently created. This information seems to be somehow kept within Rhythmbox (sorry for not using a more accurate terminology) so if I need to use another app, I would be very happy to be able to import somehow these headers.

Any help or advice is very much appreciated. Life without music is not as great as with it (and I don't like listening music on my phone).

Have a nice afternoon.

Edit: I read online that one should configure the iPod for windows and that it was often helpful. So I went in Windows 10, downloaded iTunes and "restored" my iPod (I don't really understand what it means but I tried that since it was the only thing to do). Then I went back to kubuntu, openend rhythmbox and this time I could transfer all my songs to the iPod without any problem. But when I unplugged the iPod from my computer, it displayed "No music" as if it was empty. Then I went in Windows again, opened iTunes and I see that it contains 3.5GB of "others". So I assume that my songs where put in the wrong directory. I looked where there were, and there were in iPod_Control > Music. I removed all of them. I restored again the iPod and I put one song on the iPod by first adding it to the library of iTunes and then adding it from there to the iPod. Now the song is on the iPod and I can listen to it even when the iPod is not plugged to the computer anymore.

But the annoying thing is that this method is super slow. One can only import one file at the time in iTunes... plus I don't want to do it from Windows. I would like to do it as before from Rhythmbox which was way more convenient. Moreover, I tried to locate the song in the iPod (using windows file explorer) but couldn't find it anywhere!

I really lost and disappointed so any advice would be nice and welcome.

Have a great week!
    Last edited by Robert24; Dec 02, 2018, 12:50 PM.
Working...
X