Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE-connect upgrade on phones not functionning with KDE-connect in 16.04 and 18.04

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] KDE-connect upgrade on phones not functionning with KDE-connect in 16.04 and 18.04

Hello again,

Nov. 3, 2018, KDEconnect upgraded on phones. It didn't in Kubuntu, and new phone version refuses to work with Kubuntu's one. Pairing works, but Dolphin gives errors when in FUSE mode. Tried both, 18.04 and 16.04 and errors are the same. KDEconnect worked in 16.04 up to recently (don't know if in 18.04 did too, as I installed 18.04 by the same time KDEconnect upgraded on phones).

It is strange, but issues appeared also when conecting the phone to the computer via USB (Gwenview seems to scan the phone indefinitely, without downloading any file). USB connection also calls in Dolphin the FUSE mode.

FUSE is the common denominator of malfunctioning when connecting the phone to the computer, but KDEconnect upgrade on phones triggered these issues (had none before).

Searched a solution everywhere, and all I found was the ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports for 18.04. It provides a new version of KDEconnect (1.3.3 instead of 1.3.1 Kubuntu came with). But, with KDEconnect, this repository brought also 269 upgrades... Is it safe to install them all?

And if the new KDEconnect doesn't work, or if I'll have other issues with apps working fine now, I suppose I can uninstall all these upgrades by unchecking the Kubuntu backports PPA in Software Sources, isn't it?

What's your advice? Thanks,
    Last edited by aria; Nov 24, 2018, 05:00 PM.
    aria

If you don't want backports, why not use the updates PPA instead?

1.3.3 is also in there.

https://launchpad.net/~kubuntu-ppa/+archive/ubuntu/ppa
    On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Didn't find it! Couldn't even imagine it wasn't come with the kubuntu default install! Still 80+ upgrades. Got the PPA and will be back with results concerning KDE-connect.
      Thank you very much!
      aria

Comment

Originally posted by aria View Post
        Didn't find it! Couldn't even imagine it wasn't come with the kubuntu default install! Still 80+ upgrades. Got the PPA and will be back with results concerning KDE-connect.
        Thank you very much!
        PPAs cannot be enabled by default in any *ubuntu release. (Ubuntu policy)

This PPA exists to allow users to opt in to get early updates that will go to (or are being considered for) the Updates section of the main Ubuntu archive.
        On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

I still don't see the meaning. It is free software (not only free=0$, but free=freedom), so why cannot Kubuntu insert its own PPA in the Kubuntu release? It makes no sense to me and it will never do, so don't bother to explain it further. What matters is that 8 years after moving to Kubuntu, I finally learned that there was a Kubuntu Updates PPA somewhere. That's so embarrassing... But better learning it later than never. Thank you so much acheron!!!

As for KDE-connect, it came back: works like a charm! Still, the USB connection to the phone doesn't allow downloads, so it had nothing to do with KDE-connect. Maybe it needs an Android package in Kubuntu, but but who cares now the WiFi communication came back?

Thanks again acheron!
          Last edited by aria; Nov 24, 2018, 06:08 PM.
          aria

Comment

I still don't see the meaning. It is free software (not only free=0$, but free=freedom), so why cannot Kubuntu insert its own PPA in the Kubuntu release? It makes no sense to me and it will never do, so don't bother to explain it further.
            Ubuntu technical board decision AFAIR, which Kubuntu or any flavour cannot overrule or bypass.

Comment

This PPA exists to allow users to opt in to get early updates that will go to (or are being considered for) the Updates section of the main Ubuntu archive.
              That's the only consolation. Don't know what I have done until Ubuntu would (if they would) have considered upgrading KDE-connect.
              Bests and thanks again,
              aria

Comment

For kubuntu 16.04 kdeconnect is Versione: 1.0.3-0ubuntu1~ubuntu16.04~ppa1, kdeconnect 1.3.3 is only for ubuntu 18.10 cosmic and ubuntu 18.04 bionic.

Comment

I still don't see the meaning. It is free software (not only free=0$, but free=freedom), so why cannot Kubuntu insert its own PPA in the Kubuntu release? It makes no sense to me and it will never do, so don't bother to explain it further. What matters is that 8 years after moving to Kubuntu, I finally learned that there was a Kubuntu Updates PPA somewhere. That's so embarrassing... But better learning it later than never. Thank you so much acheron!!!

As for KDE-connect, it came back: works like a charm! Still, the USB connection to the phone doesn't allow downloads, so it had nothing to do with KDE-connect. Maybe it needs an Android package in Kubuntu, but but who cares now the WiFi communication came back?

Thanks again acheron!
                  Still, it's a matter of software integration and software dependencies. The mainline repos are well integrated with the specific release. PPAs will probably work, but at the same time could introduce inconsistencies with other software, even the mainline packages. Not necessarily will, but definitely could.
                  The next brick house on the left
                  Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Originally posted by acheron View Post
                    If you don't want backports, why not use the updates PPA instead?

1.3.3 is also in there.

https://launchpad.net/~kubuntu-ppa/+archive/ubuntu/ppa
                    In dolphin, on 18.10, I was getting
                    Code:
                    kdeconnect the file or folder /run/user/1000/53ca8a063e1ceb9c/storage/emulated/0/DCIM/Camera/ does not exist
                    I added that ppa, and only kdeconnect was updated, and the problem is fixed after a reboot. I'm adding this because googling on the error did not find this thread.
                    Regards, John Little

Comment

Working...
                    X