X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot try live USB Kubuntu 18.04

Hi all,

I'd like to try Kubuntu 18.04 in legacy mode. I have burned the iso file. I can boot. The screen where i can choose to try or to install Kubuntu appears. I choose to try, but just after that, i get a black screen and i cannot go further. The USB woks perfectly with another computer. There is no problem when i do exactly the same with Kubuntu 18.10, Neon or other linux distribution. i have tryied to set "nomodeset" but nothing changes. Do you know where is the problem ? Is there a solution ?
    Thanks for reading.

Did you download the 32-bit Kubuntu 18.04?
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

When you get the black screen try to open a terminal with Alt-F2. If you can, try "startx" or "startkde".
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

@ Qqmike : no, it's the 64 bits one. Kubuntu 18.10 64 bits works. That's strange.
        @ Greygeek : nothing happens when i hit Alt-F2 :-/

Comment

Is you computer new, like > 2011 or so? (Curious to know if it boots in a newer "BIOS" by UEFI or the older Legacy-BIOS.)

When you re-boot with your Kubuntu flash drive inserted, enter your "BIOS", look for a boot menu, look for your USB flash drive, do you see it listed? It may be listed more than once. If you see it listed with EFI or UEFI in its name, do not select that option. Select your USB that does not say anything about EFI/UEFI. Of course, if it were 32-bit, then 32-bit is always the older legacy BIOS boot; the 64-bit may be the older boot or the newer UEFI boot.

Then again, this could be graphics drivers? Something I don't know anything about.
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

You can use Ctl+Alt+F2 to open a login screen, log in, and then issue startx or startkde. If it says that the display is already running you can use Ctl+Alt+F1 to get back to it.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

@Qmike : i suppose it's related to the graphic driver. I have a new computer but i have changed UEFI to legacy. All other distributions but Ubuntu are ok in this configuration.
              @ GreyGeek : nothig happens if i use Ctl+Alt+F2 :-/

Comment

I think we need some more help here ...
                The screen where i can choose to try or to install Kubuntu appears. I choose to try, but just after that, i get a black screen and i cannot go further.
                That tells us that the USB does boot OK (whether it is legacy or UEFI or whatever--legacy as you say). So, it is not the issue I thought it might be. It is something else, like graphics driver. Just to be sure now ... did you check the kubuntu .iso file you downloaded with the shasum or the other check sums to make sure your download was good?

Comment

So to assist with Qqmike's idea, after you boot into the Live session selection screen, please open a konsole session and enter
                  Code:
                  inxi -G
                  Then post the results here.
                  The next brick house on the left
                  Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Working...
                  X