This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No audio from browsers only

8 month old Dell Precision 7720 with vendor installed Ubuntu 16.04 (single boot) with all updates, and KDE desktop installed on top afterward. Sound works fine in Amarok, system sounds, and so on. No sound from either Chrome or Firefox. Phonon says the sound system is working (which I already knew), but I cannot seem to connect the browser's audio output to the analog stereo speakers.

I tried headphones - no difference

I tried booting to the Ubuntu desktop - still no sound from the browser.

I have Pavucontrol installed, but I don't see anything obviously out of whack. But, then again, I am not really familiar with Pulse Audio.

It is still under warranty, so I could get Dell to fix it, but I usually have much better success doing things myself with guidance here.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

Frank.
    Linux: Powerful, open, elegant. Its all I use.

in KDE , click the speaker icon in the system tray , click the applications tab , click the firefox or chrome icon (wile their playing audio) and start dragging the icon,you will switch back to the "devices tab" , drop the firefox icon on the analog stereo speakers icon.

in Pavucontrol on the playback tab you should see firefox playing ,,,,on the right side you should see a "device" box , click it and change to the desired device

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
      in KDE , click the speaker icon in the system tray , click the applications tab , click the firefox or chrome icon (wile their playing audio) and start dragging the icon,you will switch back to the "devices tab" , drop the firefox icon on the analog stereo speakers icon.

in Pavucontrol on the playback tab you should see firefox playing ,,,,on the right side you should see a "device" box , click it and change to the desired device

VINNY
      >click the firefox or chrome icon (wile their playing audio) and start dragging the icon,you will switch back to the "devices tab"<

Which firefox or chrome icon? There is no icon for firefox or chrome in the popup box that opens when I click the speaker icon in the system tray.

As to Pavucontrol, when I first opened it while Chrome was streaming something from Amazon Prime, there was, for a couple of seconds, and entry for Chrome. But it disappeared before I could do anything, and I cannot not get it back again.

I'll try to post a picture of the screen. Taking a screenshot on the computer immediately closes the KDE volume control popup.
      Attached Files

Comment

I cant replicate that behavior hear .

whatever is playing audio always shows in those 2 places ?

this may be a config conflict between having both Ubuntu and Kubuntu running on the same system , it's been a long time since I had a system with both on it but as I recall it was trouble in several ways with little disturbances like this .

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
          I cant replicate that behavior hear .

whatever is playing audio always shows in those 2 places ?

this may be a config conflict between having both Ubuntu and Kubuntu running on the same system , it's been a long time since I had a system with both on it but as I recall it was trouble in several ways with little disturbances like this .

VINNY
          OK, thanks.

This machine is due for a fresh install of 18.04 anyway, so I'm not going to worry about it for now. I don't NEED browser audio on this machine. If I'm going to watch Netflix while traveling, I do it on my tablet anyway.

Frank.

Comment

Working...
          X