This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Network printer

One of my printers don't work in WIN10 v- but nicely in Kubuntu.

Is there a way to share this printer with computers on the WIN10 network?

Share them with the share button in system settings -> printers. Then search for new printers on windows.
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48 View Post
      Share them with the share button in system settings -> printers. Then search for new printers on windows.
      Does not work. Do you assume I have a network connection between the Kubuntu PC and the WIN10 PCs?

Comment

The 'assumption' is that both PC's are connected to the same network. Are they not?
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by nilsA View Post
          One of my printers don't work in WIN10 v- but nicely in Kubuntu.

Is there a way to share this printer with computers on the WIN10 network?
          OK, so the answer is "yes" but it requires both computers be on the same network OR:
          1. A printer that is web enabled.
          2. A printer with more than one connection ability (i.e. USB, Wifi and/or wired network).
          3. A Win10 capability to use the printer. We can't assume that just sharing the printer will allow it to print from Windows.

Nils, you've been around long enough to know you need to provide more info if you want help...

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
            OK, so the answer is "yes" but it requires both computers be on the same network OR:
            1. A printer that is web enabled.
            2. A printer with more than one connection ability (i.e. USB, Wifi and/or wired network).
            3. A Win10 capability to use the printer. We can't assume that just sharing the printer will allow it to print from Windows.

Nils, you've been around long enough to know you need to provide more info if you want help...
            1 and 2. The printer (an old Lexmark Optra E+) is not web-enabled. It is a parallel port only.

3 The printer does not work under WIN10.

What I have is:

2 WIN10 only PCs

1 dual boot Kubuntu/WIN10 - at the time only used for Kubuntu.

1 WIN8 PC

The WIN10/WIN8 PCs are sharing files and one modernish Colour Laser printer, on one of the WIN10 only PCs. This PC also has a scanner attached - both USB.

The Kubuntu PC is not sharing files with the other PCs, but is on the same router, so I get Internet working on all PCs through the same provider.

Does that answer your questions?

Comment

Does that answer your questions?
              I believe so.

You can probably do this IF the printer supports postscript. You should be able to run the printer on the Linux machine using CUPS and then set it up manually as a "Generic Postscript Printer/Network Printer" on Windows. File sharing is not required to do this as the CUPS interface will be the source of the connection.

This might help: https://community.spiceworks.com/top...ith-windows-10

Thinking out of the box for a second - if the above fails, you could set up the Linux host to automatically print any file sent to a particular folder. Here's what I'm thinking this would require:
              1. File sharing a single folder from Linux to all the desired Windows 10 machines.
              2. Use the "Print to file" function of Windows and save the file in the shared folder.
              3. Using inotify to monitor the folder on the Linux machine.
              4. Having inotify execute a command line print command on each file as it arrives in the folder (and probably delete the file afterward).

Your Kubuntu computer would effectively act as a print server. You could name the folder "Printer" and use all your Windows machines on the network just by sharing that one folder. You'd have to be able to print to a file type the printer supports.

That's all I got at the moment...
              Last edited by oshunluvr; Nov 04, 2018, 06:08 AM.

Please Read Me

Comment

Seems "ghostscript" driver is available:

http://www.openprinting.org/printer/...rk-Optra_Eplus

Those old monochrome laser printers just don't die, do they?
                Last edited by oshunluvr; Nov 04, 2018, 06:08 AM.

Please Read Me

Comment

I hope not!
                  My HP Laserjet Pro P1606DN has been chugging along for 8 years without a hiccup. I paid $230 for in it 2010. The minister of finance would have difficulty in approving another such expenditure!
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                  – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I believe so.

You can probably do this IF the printer supports postscript. You should be able to run the printer on the Linux machine using CUPS and then set it up manually as a "Generic Postscript Printer/Network Printer" on Windows. File sharing is not required to do this as the CUPS interface will be the source of the connection.

This might help: https://community.spiceworks.com/top...ith-windows-10
                    Thank you - now I have found the printer, but I should have known that Windows asks for a driver.

I have tried generic postscript type, but the printer seems to be PCL - that was the standard.

So I still have a printer that works well from Kubuntu, is "seen" from the WIndows PC, but will not print.

Comment

So no Generic PCL5 or 6 driver available? I think HP provides on. It shouldn't matter brand-wise because PCL is a standard.

What are you printing from in the Windows environment? Maybe you could pass the files to the Kubuntu machine?

Please Read Me

Comment

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers...8/model/503519

Please Read Me

Comment

So no Generic PCL5 or 6 driver available? I think HP provides on. It shouldn't matter brand-wise because PCL is a standard.

What are you printing from in the Windows environment? Maybe you could pass the files to the Kubuntu machine?
                          The next link you gave me does not have anything for WIN10.

Of course, what I might do is just use Dropbox and open the files on the Kubuntu PC, and print from there. Not very elegant, but it requires me to walk the stairs to the first floor and down.

It may be argued that it will be good for me to do that more often. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                            I hope not!
                            My HP Laserjet Pro P1606DN has been chugging along for 8 years without a hiccup. I paid $230 for in it 2010. The minister of finance would have difficulty in approving another such expenditure!
                            My Optra E+ started it's duty on November 26, 2011, as, most probably., a personal printer for some boss in the Norwegian State Oil company Statoil. I had given it up some years ago, but I like to be sure before i throw away things. The problem was a parallel port to USB transformer, or compatibility problem with that.

Comment

Originally posted by nilsA View Post
                              The next link you gave me does not have anything for WIN10.

Of course, what I might do is just use Dropbox and open the files on the Kubuntu PC, and print from there. Not very elegant, but it requires me to walk the stairs to the first floor and down.

It may be argued that it will be good for me to do that more often. :-)
                              Odd. It did here:
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20181106_171912.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	644042

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                              X