X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Volume Controls

Hello,

When viewing films on my laptop the volume is too low..

I have looked at alsamixer, and the speaker is set to 100%

I nave installed Pulse Audio Volume Control and I can obain a louder volume.

Is this the best that I can achieve?

What is the difference between these two volume controls?

Thanks
    kubuntu version: 16.04.5 LTS

Laptop: Toshiba-Satellite-L350

what about the volume level in the video player itself? What are you using? What video source?

Pulseadio can allow you to go beyond 100% if you check that box in the settings, but at the risk of damaging speakers, etc.

Comment

Both my music player (Clementine) and my video player (VLC) have a volume control. With each, the control is around the lower right area of the display.
      The next brick house on the left
      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
        what about the volume level in the video player itself? What are you using? What video source?

Pulseadio can allow you to go beyond 100% if you check that box in the settings, but at the risk of damaging speakers, etc.
        Hello,

I am using the Firefox browser to watch some tv programs and some films. In particular ,regarding films, the volume is too low.

Regards

Comment

It is likely the embedded video player used (flash?)used by the website, there are usually volume controls there, and perhaps the sources used have poor transcoding, with poor volume levels. perhaps?

Comment

It is some combination of volume controls that are causing this. On my system the Playback Devices (Line Out (Built-In Audio Analog Stereo)) in the system tray shows 54%, the volume control on the BOSE physical speaker is less than 1/2, and I just played a newsclip in Firefox and had to pull down the volume in the video clip to a low level to keep it from "screaming" at me. The system is a very standard install, a stock motherboard audio circuit, the speakers are plugged into the line out port on the motherboard. Every audio device and every audio application that I've ever come across has a sound level adjustment. Check how your physical speaker (or headphone) is plugged in, check the audio level in the tray, and check the loudness setting on the application for a setting.
            Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
              It is likely the embedded video player used (flash?)used by the website, there are usually volume controls there, and perhaps the sources used have poor transcoding, with poor volume levels. perhaps?
              I note that when I watch films online there appears to be no Flash Controls. How can I check Flash for volume adjustment?

On a related matter, when I type /usr.bin.alsamixer intto terminal alsamixer appears. I tried to create a start facility in Application - Multimedia. I used /usr/bin/alsamixer in the command line, but when I click on it in Application - Multimedia it does not start. Any thoughts?
              Last edited by anonprivate; Oct 30, 2018, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by anonprivate View Post
                I note that when I watch films online there appears to be no Flash Controls. How can I check Flash for volume adjustment?

On a related matter, when I type /usr.bin.alsamixer intto terminal alsamixer appears. I tried to create a start facility in Application - Multimedia. I used /usr/bin/alsamixer in the command line, but when I click on it in Application - Multimedia it does not start. Any thoughts?
                Not sure about Flash controls, as such. However, every time I watch some video in the browser (FF, in my case), when I hover the mouse over the video display the sound controls are shown. It's usually nothing more than sound levels, but it does allow turning the the sound down or up with some sort of slider. Once done, and the mouse moved away from the video display, the controls/slider are no longer displayed.

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
                  Not sure about Flash controls, as such. However, every time I watch some video in the browser (FF, in my case), when I hover the mouse over the video display the sound controls are shown. It's usually nothing more than sound levels, but it does allow turning the the sound down or up with some sort of slider. Once done, and the mouse moved away from the video display, the controls/slider are no longer displayed.
                  I sometimes see a sliding bar. But often on max it is still too quiet

Do you know what Pulse Audio is?

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by anonprivate View Post
                    I sometimes see a sliding bar. But often on max it is still too quiet

Do you know what Pulse Audio is?

Regards
                    Yes ...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20181030_200647.png
Views:	1
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	644037

And the PulseAudio Volume Control is an entry in my Multimedia menu. When I click on it, this shows ...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20181030_201234.png
Views:	1
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	644038

But in general I use the Audio Volume Control in the system tray ... along with whatever shows in the video app and the control on the physical speaker.

Comment

Hello,

Thank you.

I am wondering what pulse audio was designed for?

Comment

There are many sound server applications built for computing environments. Some are fairly simple and just translate the bits and bytes in a music file into signals that will produce sounds in a speaker. Others may do that and will also provide ways of shaping the sound - like emphasizing or supressing certain frequencies.

As it shows in the screenshot from Synaptic, PulseAudio is designed for use in POSIX and Windows platforms. Linux is a form of POSIX. POSIX: "The Portable Operating System Interface (POSIX) is a family of standards specified by the IEEE Computer Society for maintaining compatibility between operating systems." from wikipedia.
                        Last edited by jglen490; Oct 31, 2018, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
                          There are many sound server applications built for computing environments. Some are fairly simple and just translate the bits and bytes in a music file into signals that will produce sounds in a speaker. Others may do that and will also provide ways of shaping the sound - like emphasizing or supressing certain frequencies.

As it shows in the screenshot from Synaptic, PulseAudio is designed for use in POSIX and Windows platforms. Linux is a form of POSIX. POSIX: "The Portable Operating System Interface (POSIX) is a family of standards specified by the IEEE Computer Society for maintaining compatibility between operating systems." from wikipedia.
                          Thank you

Comment

Working...
                          X