Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Discover and Updates, Request to remove it and use better option in next release.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Discover and Updates, Request to remove it and use better option in next release.

Hello

I have moved over to Kubuntu. One think I am not a fan of is Discover and specifically the Updates Section.

When there are updates. I click on the icon, and it takes up to about 15 seconds before it shows how many MB's the updates will be.

If I hit install/download before this happens it seems to crash.

I used to be on Netrunner, and when there was an update you click on the updates icon and it would load Synaptic.

Just find Discover buggy, cant we change for something better.

you can use the konsole with the command: sudo apt update && sudo apt dist-upgrade

press ENTER

then complete with your password at prompt

The pause you see in Discover is the first part of the command I showed above. That is refreshing the repository cache (if I have that term wrong, someone please correct for me)
    Linux User #454271

Comment

Originally posted by Black.Widow View Post
      Hello

I have moved over to Kubuntu. One think I am not a fan of is Discover ...

Just find Discover buggy, cant we change for something better.
      "Yes, we can".

Use something else yourself. There are still other choices: Synaptic Package Manager, Muon, Apper, the command line.

If you want to contribute to making Discover less buggy, you can file bug reports but, fwiw, you'll need to test Discovery in something like KDE neon because what you see in Kubuntu may already be fixed in KDE neon.
      Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Updating with Muon works much better and faster for me. I only use Discover to window shop.

Comment

I, and some others here, prefer the command line. It's even quicker. Plus, Muon has this irritating need to rebuild some index or the other. That process takes time. See https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post421316 and later posts in that thread.
          Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

There has been a bug in Discover, and it may be fixed:
            https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post420371

There have been a few threads around here on this Discover issue--it has been a problem.

If you use Discover, I have found it usually works OK if you give it time to complete each of its tasks, as you noticed in your OP.

Otherwise, you can simply issue the two commands listed above to update the data base and to run updates:

sudo apt-get update
            and then
            sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

If Discover hangs on you, you can kill it in several ways, one being
            Control-Alt-ESC
            that gives you a kill cursor and you can close the Discover window.

I've been using Discover for the past several updates, and it has been working OK as long as I am patient and don't hurry it up.
            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
            X