This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do after install links

I'm looking for a good "What to do after installing Kubuntu" Link. I found a few but came here hoping to find one here, but do not see one? The ones I see so far are not all that good IMO.

Do I need to install msttcorefonts for LibreOffice? DONE

I need to slow down the mouse pointer, and there is no way to do it in most Linux distros that I've found. Has someone done this? I've done it before but it seems to work different in different distros.

Would like to know how to stop screen Tearing. I found a few articles a while back but don't think they were up to date with 18.04

How can I set Number Lock to stay locked. Don't like resetting it every time I log in?

I was under the impression I did not need a swap partition, because there is a swap folder, is this correct? I did not create one, and I have 6GB of RAM so should be okay for the most part.

Hope to get some good advice here, and hope I get on with Kubuntu well. So far don't like it as much as I liked Mint's KDE 17.3, but it is better than some KDE Versions I tried. It is utilizing resources well on this old pc, that's for sure. Hope you guys don't mind the inxi output.

Code:
    [COLOR=#000000][FONT=monospace][B]word-8@word-8-HP-Pavilion-dv6-Notebook-PC[/B]:[B]~[/B]$inxi -Fxz 
    [B]System:  [/B] [B]Host:[/B]word-8-HP-Pavilion-dv6-Notebook-PC [B]Kernel:[/B]4.15.0-45-generic x86_64 [B]bits:[/B]64 [B]gcc:[/B]7.3.0 
             [B]Desktop:[/B]KDE Plasma 5.12.7 (Qt 5.9.5) [B]Distro:[/B]Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS 
    [B]Machine: [/B] [B]Device:[/B]laptop [B]System:[/B]Hewlett-Packard [B]product:[/B]HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC [B]v:[/B]0691210000204610000620100 [B]serial:[/B]N/A 
             [B]Mobo:[/B]Hewlett-Packard [B]model:[/B]1805 [B]v:[/B]33.58 [B]serial:[/B]N/A [B]BIOS:[/B]Hewlett-Packard [B]v:[/B]F.1C [B]date:[/B]01/25/2013 
    [B]Battery  [/B] [B]hidpp__0:[/B][B]charge:[/B]N/A [B]condition:[/B]NA/NA Wh [B]model:[/B]Logitech Wireless Mouse M325 [B]status:[/B]Discharging 
    [B]CPU:     [/B] [B]Quadcore[/B] AMD A8-3520M APUwith Radeon HD Graphics (-MCP-) [B]arch:[/B]Fusion rev.0 [B]cache:[/B]4096 KB 
             [B]flags:[/B](lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4a svm) [B]bmips:[/B]12776 
             [B]clockspeeds:[/B] [B]max:[/B]1600 MHz [B]1:[/B]811 MHz [B]2:[/B]933 MHz [B]3:[/B]806 MHz [B]4:[/B]951 MHz 
    [B]Graphics:[/B] [B]Card:[/B]Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] BeaverCreek [Radeon HD 6620G][B]bus-ID:[/B]00:01.0 
             [B]DisplayServer:[/B] x11 (X.Org1.19.6 ) [B]drivers:[/B]ati,radeon (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa) 
             [B]Resolution:[/B]1366x768@59.99hz 
             [B]OpenGL:renderer:[/B] AMD SUMO (DRM2.50.0 / 4.15.0-45-generic, LLVM 7.0.0) 
             [B]version:[/B]3.3 Mesa 18.2.2 [B]DirectRender:[/B] Yes 
    [B]Audio:   [/B] [B]Card-1[/B]Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] FCH Azalia Controller [B]driver:[/B]snd_hda_intel [B]bus-ID:[/B]00:14.2 
             [B]Card-2[/B]Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] BeaverCreek HDMI Audio [Radeon HD6500D and 6400G-6600G series] 
             [B]driver:[/B]snd_hda_intel [B]bus-ID:[/B]00:01.1 
             [B]Sound:[/B]Advanced Linux Sound Architecture [B]v:[/B]k4.15.0-45-generic 
    [B]Network: [/B] [B]Card-1:[/B]Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
             [B]driver:[/B]r8169 [B]v:[/B]2.3LK-NAPI [B]port:[/B]2000 [B]bus-ID:[/B]01:00.0 
             [B]IF:[/B]eno1 [B]state:[/B]down [B]mac:[/B]<filter> 
             [B]Card-2:[/B]Broadcom Limited BCM4313 802.11bgn Wireless Network Adapter
             [B]driver:[/B]bcma-pci-bridge [B]bus-ID:[/B]02:00.0 
             [B]IF:[/B]wlp2s0b1 [B]state:[/B]up [B]mac:[/B]<filter> 
    [B]Drives:  [/B] [B]HDDTotal Size:[/B] 564.3GB(7.5% used) 
             [B]ID-1:[/B]/dev/sda [B]model:[/B]WDC_WD5000LPLX [B]size:[/B]500.1GB 
             [B]ID-2:[/B]USB /dev/sdb [B]model:[/B]Flash_Drive_FIT [B]size:[/B]64.2GB 
    [B]Partition:[/B][B]ID-1:[/B]/ [B]size:[/B]19G [B]used:[/B]8.8G (50%) [B]fs:[/B]ext4 [B]dev:[/B]/dev/sda1 
             [B]ID-2:[/B]/home [B]size:[/B]439G [B]used:[/B]11G (3%) [B]fs:[/B]ext4 [B]dev:[/B]/dev/sda5 
    [B]RAID:    [/B] NoRAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present 
    [B]Sensors: [/B] [B]SystemTemperatures: cpu:[/B] 44.0C[B]mobo:[/B]N/A [B]gpu:[/B]44.0 
             [B]FanSpeeds (in rpm): cpu:[/B]N/A 
    [B]Info:    [/B] [B]Processes:[/B]213 [B]Uptime:[/B]1:23 [B]Memory:[/B]2049.2/5435.4MB [B]Init:[/B]systemd [B]runlevel:[/B]5 [B]Gcc sys:[/B]7.3.0 
             [B]Client:[/B]Shell (bash 4.4.191) [B]inxi:[/B]2.3.56  
    [B]word-8@word-8-HP-Pavilion-dv6-Notebook-PC[/B]:[B]~[/B]$ 

[/FONT][/COLOR]
    Last edited by Nasty7; Feb 03, 2019, 10:13 AM.
    Dell OptiPlex 9010 SFF, 8GB RAM, i7 3770, Kubuntu 18.04, MB 051FJ8

One solution for you:
    Attached Files
    If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

I suggest you make a sandwich, get your favorite beverage and take a tour through the system settings.
      If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

That's what I've been doing but there is a lot to learn. This is really different from what I'm used to in Mint's KDE 17 Series, and that was a lot to learn also. I probably should have gone with something simple like Mint's Mate, but I really like the KDE Experience.

I guess I should be looking for "What to do" After Install Articles with an Ubuntu Search and for KDE stuff KDE Search.

That one Manual is pretty good, but the format sucks, there is no easy way to do a search on it. Is that not available in PDF or something with some search functions?

These are some of the things I've done so far:

sudo apt-get install chromium-browser
        sudo apt-get install ttf-mscorefonts-installer
        sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

Discover is confusing to me also. Will need to spend much more time learning, but still need a good Manual. I tried the built in Manual also, that didn't seem to be all that good either?

EDIT: Okay, sorry to all for bashing the Manual, I didn't realize I needed to Click Download to get the Full Version! Now have all the functions I need.

Still, any good Tutorials I can use would be great! Perhaps Ubuntu based that covers all the bases on what commonly used software should be installed.
        Last edited by Nasty7; Oct 21, 2018, 01:04 PM.

Comment

I never felt the need for a "what to do after the install" list, Kubuntu installer did all the basics and anything afterwards is just the stuff which I consider to be specific to my way of working rather than additional generic configuration steps. I even keep a text file with all the changes/installations I make.
          Hence I am interested to see where this thread goes, there might be something to learn.

The swap partition you were asking about is a good example, as of 18.04 Ubuntu and it's derivatives create a swapfile by default which means that, unless you use BTRFS, you don't need to worry about swap any longer.
          Mouse speed is in system settings, search for mouse and you will be right there.

You wrote you liked Mint KDE better, given that it's KDE for both, how did they differ? Genuinely curious...

Comment

Dam just lost a post with stuff I wanted to share! So I'll make this a little brief for now.

I never felt the need for a "what to do after the install" list, Kubuntu installer did all the basics and anything afterwards is just the stuff which I consider to be specific to my way of working rather than additional generic configuration steps.
            1. I need/want to be prepared, some of this is for work, and even other stuff I would like to be prepared for the moment I need things. It's been a long time since I installed and setup a personal KDE Install, so I forget most of how I did it, and things have changed quite a bit.

2. Yes, there is always something cool to learn that's for sure. And this is why I posted, because I've made a feeble attempt myself to make things work, and spent hours doing so lol. Once I get one with the new way of Kubuntu I'll be fine.

3. Thanks about the mouse settings, but they don't work with my logitech mice as usual. There are ways of Manually making these changes but it seems to be different in every distro? And the settings just Stay as are, until changed manually again. So you need to get it the way you like it and leave it.
            Here is an Example. Change mouse sensitivity in Lubuntu 18.04LTS
            Looks like "gnome tweaks" may work, but I don't know if we can use that on KDE?

4. Thanks about swap, BTRFS, GOT IT!

5. I will sum it up as "More Intuitive" Mostly in the Update Manager and Software Manager, and perhaps more that I will list later. I highly suggest installing Mint KDE 17.3 to a USB and run it and take a look. It's all old stuff A? but it's good ol stuff! lol Even better, Install it to one of your computers if possible. I still use it at least once a week.

Comment

Okay, was actually able to change the Mouse Pointer Speed, good stuff!

Settings > Input Devices > Mouse > Advanced > Acceleration Profile "Flat" > Pointer Acceleration to '"0.2"

Comment

Just keep poking around. You will find everything that you need, and most of what you want. The rest make for good questions!
                The next brick house on the left
                Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Hey guys, I've been poking around and got some good stuff done. One thing I would love to do is, make the Document Icons in Dolphin a different color...if possible. They aren't to bad, but all that Purple is a little distracting. Maybe I'll come to like it, but would like to be able to change it for now to see if it will be better.

Another question: I like the ability to Create Documents in a Folder by Right Clicking and Choosing the Create New > LibreOffice Writer. But when I do this, the new document icon is Blue, and not purple like the others that were created by just choosing Writer from the Menu.

I would also like to set the Default Fonts to something that will work with MS Office if possible. I already installed mscorefonts but just don't know enough to actually utilize them. I'll read up on it. I assume it is when I open an MS Doc that is already using them, but how about using them while I'm in Libre Writer by Default. I already know how to set a Theme, and have one as Default now, so I may just need to change the Default Font to the MS type.

I'm struggling with some of the settings in KDE, but for the most part really love the KDE experience. I've made some changes and will ask about more later, just the important ones for now. I enabled Wobbly Windows and Fall Apart, and have always loved those, really make me giggle. This little laptop seems to be able to handle most of this so far. Would love to try out the Cube, if that is even an option. Don't know if this pc will handle it but well find out.

Thanks

Comment

I found two sites quickly tonight that had somewhat answered my questions. I guess sometimes I can't think of a good search term for what I need. "Things to do after installing Kubuntu" worked well enough, and allowed me to find a few things to install that I know I'll need later but won't remember the darn names later on.

itsfoss and ubuntubuzz good stuff to look at for the new to Linux and Kubuntu + Ubuntu.

I'm wondering what others think about WPS Office, does it play any better with MS Office than LibreOffice? And, can one install it along side of LibreOffice? I thought I would try it out but don't want to install along side of LO if it will cause problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Nasty7 View Post
                      I was under the impression I did not need a swap partition, because there is a swap folder, is this correct? I did not create one, and I have 6GB of RAM so should be okay for the most part.
                      This comment was sort of snuck in there and I didn't see anyone else comment on it: The default installation for a while now is the installer creates a swap file for you if no swap partition is detected (or manually added). The installer (obviously) does not determine "need" but just follows it's programming. My point is: only you can determine need. Whether or not you need a swap file or a swap partition or neither is a question for you to answer.

For example, if you are using BTRFS you would likely need a swap partition as COW file systems don't handle dynamically sized files well - like swap files or dynamically sized virtual drives. If you are using EXT4 or another file system that is not COW, a swap file is fine.

As far as 6GB RAM being sufficient as to not need swap at all, that will depend solely on your use. If you mutli-task a lot using memory intensive programs, you may need swap with only 6GB. I tend to leave 20 or more browser tabs open while encoding video and playing a game. This eats some RAM, and I have 16GB. Right now, I have only Chromium open and my memory is 34% full. Swap may prevent you from having a system lock-up or odd program behavior if RAM gets filled up.

Bottom line is unless you really need the drive space, keep the swap file - unless you're using BTRFS, then make a swap partition.

Another case where a swap partition is better is if you dual boot or have multiple installs. They can all share a single swap partition but if you have one swap file per install, the space used is multiplied.

Please Read Me

Comment

The default installation for a while now is the installer creates a swap file for you if no swap partition is detected (or manually added).
                        That's good to know oshunluvr, never knew that! So if this is true, and a persona doesn't want a swap file, they need to remove it right?

And which would be better for performance, leaving out BTRFS as a factor, file, partition or nothing? I know others who don't use swap at all and most have around the 16GB area of RAM. I always installed a small partition of about 2GB just to be safe.

Bottom line is unless you really need the drive space, keep the swap file - unless you're using BTRFS, then make a swap partition.
                        I don't really need the drive space, I was only following what I've read.

My work load is trivial as I only use this machine for low intense work. I usually keep an eye on the resources I'm using for the most part, though that don't matter if there is a swap file. Browsing, fourms, youtube video, really basic stuff.

I am however going to use it when I feel a customers drive is infected, to transfer their files to an external for safe keeping and put on their new install. I will use the standard method with an external docking station. May even use my new Sophos install to scan their User Folders prior. I've tested it already and it works pretty well, Updates automatically to, pretty cool, a big good on-ya to Sophos.

Comment

Generally a swap partition is better, but that really only matters is you need it frequently. Based on your comments, I wouldn't go to the trouble at this point to change anything. You can always do it later if the need arises.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                            Generally a swap partition is better, but that really only matters is you need it frequently. Based on your comments, I wouldn't go to the trouble at this point to change anything. You can always do it later if the need arises.
                            That's a solid answer and what I would expect to hear. And is why I did not bother at the time to create one. I've watched my swap use over time on an old hp laptop, Intel T5500 with 4GB of RAM and it never got high at all. Good to know though that I can still create one because I thought it was completely unnecessary with the newer 18.04. I thought I read years ago that swap was used in the case of a system crash, and all the crash info would try to write to swap, or something loosely to that effect. Perhaps what was in RAM would be written to swap I don't know. I know it is necessary when using Hibernate.

Anyhow, I just want things to be as fast as possible like many do. For instance, I wanted a fast Drive, but didn't want an SSD. So I researched till my eyes bled and found that the WD Black 500GB was a tick faster than most of the same type. Didn't want a hybrid, don't have a new enough pc for M.2, so there you go, the WD Black 500 is what I got. I've experimented with "Preload", but don't know that it helped all that much. Most likely just a little but that was undetectable to me. In fact Preload is still installed on my old KDE Laptop, and is still running well. I really want an M.2 Drive to see how much faster it will make things, but money is tight and only have one pc that will accept an M.2 via an adapter.

Either way just happy that things are running well now. I believe all my wifi and kdewallet issues are over.

Comment

Originally posted by Nasty7 View Post
                              Either way just happy that things are running well now. I believe all my wifi and kdewallet issues are over.
                              (emphasis added)

I'm confused. Your other thread at https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...Password-Issue would seem to indicate that your wifi password issue isn't over.
                              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                              X