X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
    Generally a swap partition is better...
    An advantage of a separate swap partition is that it can be used by several installs.
    Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by Nasty7 View Post
      Anyhow, I just want things to be as fast as possible like many do. For instance, I wanted a fast Drive, but didn't want an SSD. So I researched till my eyes bled and found that the WD Black 500GB was a tick faster than most of the same type. Didn't want a hybrid, don't have a new enough pc for M.2, so there you go, the WD Black 500 is what I got. I've experimented with "Preload", but don't know that it helped all that much. Most likely just a little but that was undetectable to me. In fact Preload is still installed on my old KDE Laptop, and is still running well. I really want an M.2 Drive to see how much faster it will make things, but money is tight and only have one pc that will accept an M.2 via an adapter.
      I had a couple 1TB WD "Blacks" back in the day. I used them in my server and you could download a firmware update that would upgrade the drives to "Enterprise" level. If I remember correctly it opened up a few more smartctl items and favored performance over energy or noise. Made them a bit warmer too but I had a small fan on them and they outlasted their usefulness. I gave them away 'cause they wouldn't die. I still have a 2TB black but it's a "playground" drive as it's been retired from the server too due to age.

I will say unequivocally if you're looking for speed it's hard to beat any SSD over any hard drive. All the stories about being less reliable or whatever are total bunk. Yes, maybe back when the tech was new-ish to the consumer market, like 2005-6, but I've got 2 Samsung 840 Pros with more than 3 years of power-on hours still chugging along without a single glitch and my new M.2 Samsung 970 Pro is lightyears faster than them.

Just for fun, in this order; WD Black 2TB (sda), WD Red 2TB (sdb), Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (sdc + sdd), Samsung 970 Pro 512GB (nvme0n1):

Code:
      [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#54FF54][B]stuart@office[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]:[/COLOR][COLOR=#54FFFF][B]~[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]$ for d in sda sdb sdc sdd nvme0n1; do sudo hdparm -t /dev/$d ; done[/COLOR]

/dev/sda:
       Timing buffered disk reads: 432 MB in  3.00 seconds = 143.76 MB/sec

/dev/sdb:
       Timing buffered disk reads: 416 MB in  3.01 seconds = 138.12 MB/sec

/dev/sdc:
       Timing buffered disk reads: 1600 MB in  3.00 seconds = 532.80 MB/sec

/dev/sdd:
       Timing buffered disk reads: 1600 MB in  3.00 seconds = 533.11 MB/sec

/dev/nvme0n1:
       Timing buffered disk reads: 9700 MB in  3.00 seconds = 3232.69 MB/sec
      [/FONT]
      Mic drop...

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by SpecialEd View Post
        I suggest you make a sandwich, get your favorite beverage and take a tour through the system settings.
        Best advice on this forum...

...EVER!

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
          (emphasis added)

I'm confused. Your other thread at https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...Password-Issue would seem to indicate that your wifi password issue isn't over.
          "The situation seems to be resolved. I will wait a few days before confirming and marking as Solved.
          Thanks for all the help"
          Dell OptiPlex 9010 SFF, 8GB RAM, i7 3770, Kubuntu 18.04, MB 051FJ8

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
            An advantage of a separate swap partition is that it can be used by several installs.
            Ahem, Jlittle...

Another case where a swap partition is better is if you dual boot or have multiple installs. They can all share a single swap partition but if you have one swap file per install, the space used is multiplied.

Please Read Me

Comment

Oops...
              Regards, John Little

Comment

I had a couple 1TB WD "Blacks" back in the day.

I will say unequivocally if you're looking for speed it's hard to beat any SSD over any hard drive. All the stories about being less reliable or whatever are total bunk. Yes, maybe back when the tech was new-ish to the consumer market, like 2005-6, but I've got 2 Samsung 840 Pros with more than 3 years of power-on hours still chugging along without a single glitch and my new M.2 Samsung 970 Pro is lightyears faster than them.
                That's great to hear, because you don't know who to believe these days. Wish I could afford an M.2. I have Four SSD's now, mostly on older hardware but still work great. They are dirt freaking cheap these days also, just looked at prices this morning, wow.

One thing that was interesting is the WD Black 500GB was faster than the 1TB drive at least for the 2.5" in my situation, and faster than the 250GB.
                Dell OptiPlex 9010 SFF, 8GB RAM, i7 3770, Kubuntu 18.04, MB 051FJ8

Comment

Working...
                X