Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'Unrecoverable error' message during fresh install.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Unrecoverable error' message during fresh install.

I formatted a spare partition and installed Kubuntu 18.10 to that with all defaults except for manually choosing that partition for the root. Towards the end of the installation, I got:

"An error occurred while restoring previously-installed applications. The installation will continue, but you may have to manually reinstall some applications after the computer reboots."

OKed on that and it says:

"The installer encountered an unrecoverable error. A desktop session will now be run so that you may investigate the problem or try installing again".

I reformatted and repeated, this time with a minimal desktop instead of the full desktop, with the same error.

After rebooting back into my main partition, refreshing grub, and booting into the new installation, everything seemed fine there. So the message was an unnecessary alarm.

I presume that the message was invoked because I did not ask for the partition to be formatted during the installation, so it assumed that I was installing on top of a previous installation, then broke when it could find no evidence of that installation.

EDIT: Since this old post has the highest Google rating for "Kubuntu Unrecoverable Error", I'll add that I've confirmed that it's due to formatting the root partition prior to the installation rather than during the installation. A Google search on the error message showed many people encountering the same problem, with just a few realizing that the problem goes away if the partition is formatted during the installation. It is just a spurious message, and a reboot will show noting amiss. I've raised a bug report against the "ubiquity" package:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...y/+bug/1825355
    Last edited by Dave Rove; Oct 04, 2019, 03:13 AM.

Was the "spare partition" on an existing drive with another OS on it? Or was it a complete drive?
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
      Was the "spare partition" on an existing drive with another OS on it? Or was it a complete drive?
      Several partitions on the same drive with more than one OS, all left as "do not use" during the install except for the pre-formatted ext4 partition marked as root.

Comment

Working...
      X