This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just keeps getting better

I am a chronic distro-hopper. For the last few months my frustration at having to set up my system over and over again has started to surpass the frustrations that would cause me to want to change (thank goodness).

Ubuntu 18.04 has treated me well despite Gnome. But with Kubuntu I get both the good of 18.04 without the Gnome. A main point of contention was (and still is I guess) gaming. Yesterday I set up EVE Online (was running two clients at the same time no issues), installed the Witcher 1 via Steamplay. Overwatch, Heroes of the Storm, Magic the Gathering Arena all via Lutris using DXVK. All working perfectly

Blown away.
    Last edited by nlsthzn; Oct 12, 2018, 03:01 AM.
    ~EVE Online - the best game I will never recommend you play~

Originally posted by nlsthzn View Post
    But with Kubuntu I get both the good of 18.04 without the Gnome.
    Dead right there ... no GNOME! I really dislike Gnome (especially the latest version) and any desktop built on Gnome. I have Xubuntu (Xfce) on an old box running Kodi and it just baffles me why people like Xfce ... the more I use it the more I appreciate how much more advanced KDE Plasma 5 is in comparison.

If I was to set up the old box again I would try running Kubuntu on it with the effects turned off or maybe LXQT would work well. It's only got a Pentium 4 HT CPU with 2Gb ram so it's pretty slow.
    Last edited by Rod J; Oct 12, 2018, 06:15 AM.
    Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
    Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

I started hating Gnome, like, a decade ago or more. ANY DE over Gnome. E17, XFCE, LXQT, and terminal mode are 1000% better than Gnome. Heck, UNITY was better than Gnome.

Ok, I'm done...

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
      X