This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[DESKTOP] CRASH Muon has crashed

I added the PPA steam said at git hub: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Pro...3.7/PREREQS.md but it didn't work since the ubuntu 396 package is broken. I ran muon to see if it was picking up anything between 390 and 396 and discovered the 390 driver can now be upgraded to 390.87. I told it to mark 390 for update. I click apply to start the update. At about 23% muon crashed! I am guessing dpkg can fix this, but I forgot the dpkg command to do this. Can anyone please tell me what that command is?
    Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

Nevermind I remembered and fixed everything. Steamplay still won't work.
    Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

Comment

I used
      sudo ubuntu-drivers devices

to get a listing of available video drivers. It showed me my Intel HD3000 and Nvidia GT650M. It said "recommended" after the Nvidia listing.

I used

sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall

to install the recommended nvidia driver that is in the repository. It gave me the mvidia-390.77 driver.

I logged out and logged back in. Nvidia was running my desktop, and has been every since.

In the repository is steam-installer. I ran it and it pulled the steam deb package down from the steam website and installed it.
      Universe Sandbox^2, Team Fortress and my other steam games played nicely. I just ran Steam to test out the Sandbox.

The nvidia 390.77 has been working beautifully. I've had only two app crashes, both with Minecraft, which runs at 250-500 fps, depending, but neither one took down the desktop, just Minecraft.

$ prime-select query
      nvidia

$ modinfo nvidia
      filename: /lib/modules/4.15.0-34-generic/updates/dkms/nvidia.ko
      alias: char-major-195-*
      version: 390.77
      supported: external
      license: NVIDIA
      For compositing my animation speed is in the middle, my scale method is accurate, and my rendering backend is OpenGL3.1.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I am using 390.87 now. It doesn't work with steam play, so Ubuntu needs to get higher drivers working. Needs to work with the latest proton. steam/wine/code weavers project for steam play.
        Last edited by steve7233; Oct 05, 2018, 04:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by steve7233 View Post
          I am using 390.87 now. It doesn't work with steam play, so Ubuntu needs to get higher drivers working. Needs to work with the latest proton. steam/wine/code weavers project for steam play.
          OK steve7233 , Michael Marley (from the graphics drivers PPA) just got back to me about that nvidia-driver-396.

turns out you can't just install it the usual way , thats to say you cant just select it and install expecting it to remove the old one and install the new .
          you first half to remove and purge the old and I mean all of it THEN install the new in Bionic and further .

this worked for me ,
          Code:
           sudo apt-get --purge remove nvidia* && sudo apt-get install nvidia-driver-396
          YMMV but good luck

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
          X