This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plasma updated to 5.12.7 in Kubuntu

I do not see an announcement for this anywhere, but you can get the latest LTS release of Plasma 5.12.7, via the Kubuntu Updates PPA

This has quite a few bug fixes, quite a large portion of them relating to Discover

Eventually, this should make it into the official archives, as previous point releases of Plasma have, after some time of usage and testing.

I recommend using this PPA. It has been the standard way these sorts of updates have been delivered to users for years.

I used this PPA a few days ago to update to Plasma 5.12.7, without any problems then or since.

Comment

Thanks for the info (I don't know about this ppa...).

Regards.

Comment

Oh, was not aware of this PPA (was patiently waiting for some news about new goodies in Backports). Time to enable that PPA
        ~EVE Online - the best game I will never recommend you play~

Comment

So, if it's that good and stable, why is it not in the regular repos?

Is it alpha, beta, some level of RC? And how long does it take to get promoted to the repos?
          The next brick house on the left
          Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post

Is it alpha, beta, some level of RC? And how long does it take to get promoted to the repos?
            Good question. https://launchpad.net/~kubuntu-ppa/+archive/ubuntu/ppa only states, "Updates for Kubuntu releases which are due to go to Ubuntu Updates. Mostly KDE point releases" which doesn't say much.
            Last edited by nlsthzn; Oct 12, 2018, 06:52 AM. Reason: Grammar are hard

Comment

Because Ubuntu does not let people just upload whatever packages to the main archive without testing, proposing the changes, etc.
              The reason there was no announcement is because they are aiming to do this process quickly, so it can get into Main faster. There is no ETA, though. As a minor point release it will not be hard to do.

As for PPAs, the two different ones have different purposes.
              the Backports PPA provides stuff from the next or upcoming release backported to an older release. ie Plasma 5.14.x for 18.04, upgrading from the current 5.12.x , if that happens. This will be tough as we need a newer Qt than what is in 18,04, and simply upgrading that in the the PPA as well as Plasma does not work, as there would be many things that would break if we did so. Look at KDE Neon and the non-KDE Qt-based stuff that won't work there.

Now, for minor point releases, the Updates PPA is where to go. These are the ones that end up in the main archive. 18.04 got Plasma LTS version 5.12.6 after release, for example, after landing in this PPA. The original version was 5.12.4
              Last edited by claydoh; Oct 12, 2018, 04:18 PM.

Comment

I HAVE uploaded the packages.

Currently waiting in the bionic upload queue to be checked by the SRU team.

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/bionic/...mo=30&start=30

Ready to be tracked in this:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...p/+bug/1794494

It is just that everyone is a bit pre-occupied with Cosmic 18.10 at the moment.
                On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

I added the Update PPA and updated ~400 packages... then on a wim I also added backports and got another ~120 packages. Business as usual

Comment

So are there plans to beyond 5.12.x for 18.04?

I really like my chrome KDE integration.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by mr_raider View Post
                      So are there plans to beyond 5.12.x for 18.04?

I really like my chrome KDE integration.
                      I talked to the plasma-browser-integration developer, to see if the the dependency on newer Qt than we have in 18.04 can be lowered so it can be backported, and that has now been done. So sometime in the next week or so I'll put some testing builds in our PPAs that should work alongside the plasma 5.12 in 18.04.
                      On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

We now have 5.12.7 in the 18.04 Bionic archive proposed repo pocket.

If you can test those packages as opposed to the PPA ones, that would be super helpful.

See: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QATeam/Perfo...RUVerification

and test case explanation in https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...p/+bug/1794494

Comment

Any news on this update?

Comment

Originally posted by Sothis6881 View Post
                            Any news on this update?
                            Should be appearing in archive updates very soon.

Comment

Just got 5.12.7. Thanks!
                              Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Working...
                              X