X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Trying to do a dual boot with Windows and Kubuntu 18.04

Hello everyone!

I hope you're all doing well!

I'm starting a new job and I've been given a new computer. Unfortunately it comes with Windows 10. So I would like to do a dual boot with Kubuntu 18.04 using a usb live key (that I will create using
    https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...712#post378712
    as I had done there:
    https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...n-s-size/page2
    )
    and then I will try to follow this tutorial:
    https://www.techsupportpk.com/2018/0...indows-10.html
    but I have two questions before starting:
    1) Does it change something if I use my usb live stick created with the dd command instead of the recommended "rufus"?
    2) I would like to recreate the same partition scheme that I have on my personal laptop, which was suggested by mr_raider in this tread (05-02-18 11:55):
    https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...n-s-size/page9
    and I would like to know if there is a specific order (from left to right) to put these new partitions (I guess they will all appear after the Windows one since it will be shrunk on its left side). I had a bad experience with moving partitions around, and I would really avoid having my computer out of service for my first week of work.

Best

The very first thing you NEED to do is shrink the existing Windows 10 volume using Windows 10 Disk Management:

Shrink partition with Windows 10 built-in disk management

Windows 10 built-in Disk Management has the ability to shrink volume and extend volume. Just right click on "My Computer", choose "Manage", and you will get a popup window, choose "Disk Management" in the left navigation bar. And then, your hard disk condition will show as follow.

Then you need to right click on the partition which you want to shrink, and choose "Shrink Volume". Then the Windows 10 partition shrink is done.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

1) Does it change something if I use my usb live stick created with the dd command instead of the recommended "rufus"?
      Boy, I don't think so. In fact, IME, creating it using dd is almost without any problems whatsoever, and has been referred to as the sure-fire way to do it.

I recently did what you are doing and wrote it up here:

Dual Boot Your Existing Windows 8/10 with Kubuntu

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post418607
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I've used dd and various apps at different times to create live USB sticks. They almost always work exactly the same. dd is probably more "pure" but generally less informative - requiring patience.
        The next brick house on the left
        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Thank you to all of you for your help.
          Since yesterday, quite a few things changed. For some reasons related to the IT-compliance team of my employer, I decided to install only Ubuntu 18.04.1 (Kubuntu is not supported in this company), so it means wiping out windows.
          I made a new usb live key for ubuntu using the same dd command (but with a different .iso file), and tried to install Ubuntu. But I quickly ran into problems. First I struggled to find the bios (and what I found was maybe not the bios). The computer I received is a Dell XPS 15 9570. To enter the bios, I tried to press first F2 and it lead to some strange menu where I could use the mouse (it wasn't possible on my personal computer) and I wasn't able to find anything to try Ubuntu.
          Then I tried to press F12 when starting and I got something which looked more like the bios. There I selected the option ``UEFI: TDKMediaTrans-It Drive PMAP, Partition 1" and it seemed to work: I had to choose between ``Try Ubuntu" and ``Install Ubuntu" and something else that I forgot. But when I tried to install Ubuntu, after asking me if I wanted to connect to a network (which I did) I was told
          ``You need at least 8.6 GB disk space to install Ubuntu.
          This computer has only 8.0 GB."
          and there was nothing I could do but ``Quit". So I did that and after a very a few minutes, the ``testing desktop" of Ubuntu appeared (the one we have when we select ``Try Ubuntu" instead of ``Install Ubuntu". I looked at GParted and it seems that it detects only the space on the key. This is strange to me but coherent with the previous message about having only 8 GB.
          What would you suggest?
          By the way, if I should go to another forum, designated for Ubuntu, don't hesitate to tell me.

And if there is one that you recommend, I would be glad if you could tell me.

Best

Comment

So your company issues you a computer with Win 10. They support Ubuntu, but not Kubuntu. They will allow you to delete the OS that they issued you, and that's not an issue for the IT department.

Is all that true? In typical U.S. corporate culture, that's really rare
            Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

So your company issues you a computer with Win 10. They support Ubuntu, but not Kubuntu. They will allow you to delete the OS that they issued you, and that's not an issue for the IT department.

It is my first job in IT, so I have no experience with that. But the situation is the one I described.
              I may have found the source of the error here:
              https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2227391&page=2&

Comment

Update on my problem: indeed the link mentioned above was indicating the right problem. I went in the BIOS and under System Configuration -> SATA Operation, I changed from ``RAID on" to ``AHCI", and finally it worked after I tried again the installation process. Now I have Ubuntu 18.04.1 installed on my computer.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert24 View Post
                  For some reasons related to the IT-compliance team of my employer, I decided to install only Ubuntu 18.04.1 (Kubuntu is not supported in this company).
                  If you install Ubuntu and can sudo, you can
                  Code:
                  sudo apt install kubuntu-full
                  or am I missing something?

I used to do something like that back in the Gnome 2 days. I lost interest, or rather abandoned with alacrity, when the Gnome 3 obnoxiousness landed, along with many thousands of others and hundreds of projects. So, I can't say how well running several DEs together works these days.
                  Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by Robert24 View Post
                    Update on my problem: indeed the link mentioned above was indicating the right problem. I went in the BIOS and under System Configuration -> SATA Operation, I changed from ``RAID on" to ``AHCI", and finally it worked after I tried again the installation process. Now I have Ubuntu 18.04.1 installed on my computer.
                    Good research! In IT you will be as much a detective as a technologist. Best of luck with the new job

Comment

Great you got Ubuntu installed, Ubuntu and Kubuntu are just different desktops running on the the same OS so follow jlittle's advise and at login you can choose which desktop to run.

Many corporations (like where I work) do not allow changes to the hard disk, I have overcome it by putting Kubuntu on an external SSD connected by USB3.
                      It works fine and does not at all touch and modify the internals.

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post

Yeah, that's weird isn't it. And the fact they don't support Kubuntu don't make any sense either?

It appears Ubuntu is the only OS on the pc now? I would think this would be a little limiting in a corporate environment depending on what is being done.
                        Dell OptiPlex 9010 SFF, 8GB RAM, i7 3770, Kubuntu 18.04, MB 051FJ8

Comment

Working...
                        X