X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Truecrypt

Hello.

I have some Truecrypt files, but I do not see Truecrypt in the repository.

Where is the recommended download site for this programme?

Can another programme open these files?

Regards
    kubuntu version: 16.04.5 LTS

Laptop: Toshiba-Satellite-L350

Truecrypt has been dead since 2014, though you can still get the last version released of it via a PPA:
    https://launchpad.net/~stefansundin/...untu/truecrypt

However, digging for more info I realized I forgot about Veracrypt, which is a fork and current continuation of the project.

Here is how to install it:
    https://www.linuxbabe.com/ubuntu/ins...tu-16-04-16-10

Comment

TrueCrypt's development was stopped in 2014. The developers ppa isn't reachable (at least, I can't get to it; site won't open). VeraCrypt is it's 'active' replacement. VeraCrypt: Latest Stable Release - 1.21 (Sunday July 9, 2017). See http://www.linuxandubuntu.com/home/e...e-to-truecrypt
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
        Truecrypt has been dead since 2014, though you can still get the last version released of it via a PPA:
        https://launchpad.net/~stefansundin/...untu/truecrypt

However, digging for more info I realized I forgot about Veracrypt, which is a fork and current continuation of the project.

Here is how to install it:

https://www.linuxbabe.com/ubuntu/ins...tu-16-04-16-10
        Hello,

Thank you.

I assume that you would recommend Veracrypt.

I assume that this programme can open Truecrypt volumes?

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by anonprivate View Post
          Hello,

Thank you.

I assume that you would recommend Veracrypt.

I assume that this programme can open Truecrypt volumes?

Regards
          Yes, they say it works with truecrypt files, it is based on the same code.
          I recommend it, but worst case scenario, using the original TC is still an option, if nothing more than to get at the data.

Comment

Yes, they say it works with truecrypt files, it is based on the same code.
            I recommend it, but worst case scenario, using the original TC is still an option, if nothing more than to get at the data.
            On downloading Veracrypt, I seem to have the zip file, rather than the tarball!

Comment

Another vote for Veracrypt. I used Truecrypt until they decided to stop updating it and have used Veracrypt ever since with no problems.
              If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Originally posted by SpecialEd View Post
                Another vote for Veracrypt. I used Truecrypt until they decided to stop updating it and have used Veracrypt ever since with no problems.
                I downloaded the zip file, rather than a tarball. The site indicated a tarball. Did you have the same experience?

Comment

Originally posted by anonprivate View Post
                  I downloaded the zip file, rather than a tarball. The site indicated a tarball. Did you have the same experience?
                  If you go to the Veracrypt Downloads page, they list downloads for different operating systems. For Linux it is a tarball.
                  If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Originally posted by SpecialEd View Post
                    If you go to the Veracrypt Downloads page, they list downloads for different operating systems. For Linux it is a tarball.
                    Hello,

Yes, you are correct. I obtained the tarball from the French site ( I did not have much luck on the original home page - kept getting the zip package). I hope that it supports the English Language.

Comment

Did you notice my link containing instructions on how to install? There is a tarball ( a compressed file like a zip file btw) but also a ppa so you can use a package manager or Discover to install it, and keep it up to date.

Comment

Did you notice my link containing instructions on how to install? There is a tarball ( a compressed file like a zip file btw) but also a ppa so you can use a package manager or Discover to install it, and keep it up to date.
                        Thanks for the reminder.

I have installed veracrypt via the ppa. Unit 193 seems to be a developer and well known in the LInux community, so the installation should be all right.

I installed the programme from the command line. It does not show in muon. I assume that there is an established procedure for deletion
                        Last edited by anonprivate; Oct 01, 2018, 11:28 AM.

Comment

I'll guess that muon did not get refreshed after you added the ppa, perhaps?
                          If it installed via apt, it can be removed using it, or any other package manager.

Comment

Working...
                          X