This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kdeconnect will not pair unless the app is opened

On my KDE Neon 16.04 stable desktop i have kde connect installed.

Trying to use it with my Pixel 2 XL and nVidia Shield tablet.

But on the desktop nothing remains paired. If i go and open the kdeconnect app on one of the devices it will see it and pair just about immediately.

They will stay paired for few hours and then drop again.

How can I get round the clock pairing and cease having to open the app over and over again?
    KDE neon LTS 5.12

Possibly the kdeconnect version in 16.04 is to old in relation to the phone app. Not sure, though. I check later when I get home unless someone brats me to it. I don't know if anyone has an up to date version of it anywhere for 16.04

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Comment

If you are running a stock Kubuntu (no PPAs added) then you are at an ancient version, 0.8, of kdeconnect (among other things). The latest is 1.3.1.\
      You can get a somewhat newer version, 1.0.3 from Kubuntu's Backports PPA
      Not sure how well this will work with the android app, which always requires a fairly recent version on the desktop side, but the stock 16.04 version is known not to work well if ast all with the latest on android.

Comment

I just upgraded to 18.04 (kde neon)
        Desktop kdeconnect version:
        |/ Name Version Architecture Description
        +++-===================-==============-==============-============================================
        ii kdeconnect 1.3.1-0+18.04+ amd64 connect smartphones to your KDE Plasma Works
        KDE neon LTS 5.12

Comment

Phone version of kdeconnect: 1.8.4
          KDE neon LTS 5.12

Comment

Back in the 14.04 days I remember being so thrilled with kdeconnect. Pairing was persistent and it was such a boon to what computers could do.
            KDE neon LTS 5.12

Comment

I don't know. I've had up to 3 different phones paired at once with no issues at all.

Any battery savers or something that might turn off wifi aggressively?

I'm grabbing at straws to be honest.

Comment

Thanks Claydoh. That would mean both devices keep losing wifi. I don't think so but I will test. kdeconnect stresses that you have to be on the same network. My desktop is wired and my devices are obviously using WIFI. That shouldn't matter should it?
                KDE neon LTS 5.12

Comment

Pixel 2 XL dispaired.
                  I use tasker to notice me if wifi stopped. No, wifi stay on while kdeconnect lost pair.
                  KDE neon LTS 5.12

Comment

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=399236

Maybe add your input to this bug report?

I can't reproduce it on my end, on my LG V30 . LG makes both phones and are very similar hardware wise but obviously not in software. Other than the kdeconnect app version that is.

Comment

Not sure if this is related but the devices have trouble seeing each other. This is my nVidia Shield talking about my phone

I will add to that bug report after I exhaust ideas. thanks.
                      KDE neon LTS 5.12

Comment

Hmm are you trying to connect android-to-android That is not supported, really. It can work though. Most of the functionality iirc is in the desktop software, iirc. I have tried it with my Android TV box, and I can share files from my phone, but that's about it.

If the devices can't see each other, perhaps is is a router issue. Wired or wireless is not important, but the phone and PC have to be connecting to the same router, and I think the phone cant be using a mobile connection at the time.

I do not really know where to go from here.

https://forum.kde.org/viewforum.php?f=18

Comment

I responded to someone with kdeconnect issues a while back, maybe some of the checks are of help?
                          https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=154107

Comment

1 Both are same network
                            2 Process is running
                            3 Process is listening
                            4 ufw firewall is inactive
                            5 Port 1716 is open
                            6 Home directory exists
                            7 kdeconnect-cli yielded options page:
                            "No device specified
                            Usage: kdeconnect-cli [options]
                            KDE Connect CLI tool

Options:
                            -l, --list-devices List all devices
                            etc."

My problem is in sustaining the connection, not establishing it. But thank you so much for the check list. This is so frustrating.
                            KDE neon LTS 5.12

Comment

Working...
                            X