Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Add handle to resize windows with no border?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Add handle to resize windows with no border?

Hi. Can somebody say what the "Add handle to resize windows with no border" option does, please?

It's this option here: KDE settings -> Application Style -> Windows Decorations -> Theme -> Breeze -> Button with wrench icon -> General -> Add handle to resize windows with no border.

I have occasionally found the need to do exactly that, resize a window with no border, but I can't figure out what that option does. It adds some handle to the window? Where? Is it invisible? Which mouse button selects it? Maybe it needs shift, ctrl, or alt pressed to use it? I don't mind if it's fiddly to select because I don't need it that often, but I would like to figure how it's used.

EDIT: Never mind. Alt--rt-mouse-button drags the sides and corners of windows with no borders. I could have sworn that I'd already tried that combination. That's good enough. I still don't know what the above-mentioned option did because this feature works with and without that option set.
    Last edited by Dave Rove; Sep 29, 2018, 07:57 AM.

See the lower right corner in the attached image. Is that it?
    Attached Files
    Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

By the way, resizing windows in kwin is quite easy. Even if your mouse pointer is close to a window edge, it changes it's appearance to let you know you can now click and drag to resize. In the image, the mouse pointer has changed to a double-headed arrow even though it isn't exactly on the edge of a borderless window.

I've not felt the need to use `alt` plus the mouse for resizing.
      Attached Files
      Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

I don't get that black triangle on my system, for some reason, with or without the option set, nor do I get any evidence that it's there but invisible, but never mind.

It is just borderless/headerless windows that were the issue.

ImageMagick's "display" command is called by some python libraries for displaying images, some of which are borderless. It took me ages to figure out that it displayed images with an alpha-channel (transparency) as borderless because it assumed that you wanted to see the background through them.

Also I prefer to leave the "allow resizing maximized windows" option unchecked, because that adds a small (but still space-wasting) border around the maximized window. I do occasionally find it useful to move the edge of a maximized window anyway, to see a few lines in a text document beneath the window that I'm working in, for example. The alt-right-click drag works for that too.

Edit: In fact, I find that if I alt-right-click anywhere in a maximized window, it adds borders while leaving it full screen. An "almost maximized" window. The edges can then be dragged normally. That's handy.

Edit2: And, just to make it clear: the "borderless" windows that I'm talking about do not have edges that can be dragged normally. Hovering the mouse over them shows no evidence that there's an edge there at all.
        Last edited by Dave Rove; Sep 30, 2018, 12:37 AM.

Comment

I think I misunderstood you completely

There are two "no border" routes. One is the Meta+D one which totally removes all window decorations.

The other is a "gentler" version accessed by right-clicking on the title bar of a window which hasn't had its decorations removed, choosing more actions > window manager settings and then choosing the "no borders" setting in border size. All that I posted was related to that and not to what you've been writing about, the Meta+D route.

Sorry about the confusion!
          Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Working...
          X