This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
    you are correct the meta package (that depends on all the others you need ) is called "nvidia-driver-396" in bionic .

and it is strangely broken ,I will try to let them know .

why it was changed from "nvidia-396" in xenial to nvidia-driver-396 in bionic I am not sure ,,,,,the "nvidia-390" is still the same .

VINNY
    Mabey they wanted to be more explicit in the package name to make sure people used the correct driver. I noticed there is a non-meta version, but that one wouldn't have acceleration and so forth. I used synaptic to see the files as discover dosn't show the files.
    Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

Comment

Originally posted by steve7233 View Post
      Mabey they wanted to be more explicit in the package name to make sure people used the correct driver. I noticed there is a non-meta version, but that one wouldn't have acceleration and so forth. I used synaptic to see the files as discover dosn't show the files.
      as for the driver ,,,I do not think the "396" is done cooking for bionic.

the "390" has a "nvidia-390" in a search the "396" dose not , I just sent a email to the admins of the teem about it and will report back the response ,if any .

as for "Discover" I would not use it for anything but installing an application and would think twice even for that .

anyway this is what would happen in a install of the "nvidia-driver-396"

Code:
      vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ sudo apt-get -s install nvidia-driver-396
      [sudo] password for vinny: 
      Reading package lists... Done
      Building dependency tree       
      Reading state information... Done
      Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
      requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
      distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
      or been moved out of Incoming.
      The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
      nvidia-driver-396 : Depends: nvidia-compute-utils-396 (= 396.54-0ubuntu0~gpu18.04.1) but it is not going to be installed
                          Depends: libnvidia-decode-396 (= 396.54-0ubuntu0~gpu18.04.1) but it is not going to be installed
                          Depends: libnvidia-encode-396 (= 396.54-0ubuntu0~gpu18.04.1) but it is not going to be installed
                          Depends: xserver-xorg-video-nvidia-396 (= 396.54-0ubuntu0~gpu18.04.1) but it is not going to be installed
                          Depends: libnvidia-cfg1-396 (= 396.54-0ubuntu0~gpu18.04.1) but it is not going to be installed
                          Depends: libnvidia-ifr1-396 (= 396.54-0ubuntu0~gpu18.04.1) but it is not going to be installed
                          Depends: libnvidia-fbc1-396 (= 396.54-0ubuntu0~gpu18.04.1) but it is not going to be installed
                          Recommends: libnvidia-decode-396:i386 (= 396.54-0ubuntu0~gpu18.04.1)
                          Recommends: libnvidia-encode-396:i386 (= 396.54-0ubuntu0~gpu18.04.1)
                          Recommends: libnvidia-ifr1-396:i386 (= 396.54-0ubuntu0~gpu18.04.1)
                          Recommends: libnvidia-fbc1-396:i386 (= 396.54-0ubuntu0~gpu18.04.1)
                          Recommends: libnvidia-gl-396:i386 (= 396.54-0ubuntu0~gpu18.04.1)
      E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
      VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

as for the driver ,,,I do not think the "396" is done cooking for bionic.

the "390" has a "nvidia-390" in a search the "396" dose not , I just sent a email to the admins of the teem about it and will report back the response ,if any .

as for "Discover" I would not use it for anything but installing an application and would think twice even for that .

anyway this is what would happen in a install of the "nvidia-driver-396"

Code:
        vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ sudo apt-get -s install nvidia-driver-396
        Building dependency tree       

nvidia-driver-396 : Depends: nvidia-compute-utils-396 (= 396.54-0ubuntu0~gpu18.04.1) but it is not going to be installed
                           Depends: libnvidia-decode-396 (= 396.54-0ubuntu0~gpu18.04.1) but it is not going to be installed
                           Depends: libnvidia-encode-396 (= 396.54-0ubuntu0~gpu18.04.1) but it is not going to be installed
                           Depends: xserver-xorg-video-nvidia-396 (= 396.54-0ubuntu0~gpu18.04.1) but it is not going to be installed
                           Depends: libnvidia-cfg1-396 (= 396.54-0ubuntu0~gpu18.04.1) but it is not going to be installed
                           Depends: libnvidia-ifr1-396 (= 396.54-0ubuntu0~gpu18.04.1) but it is not going to be installed
                           Depends: libnvidia-fbc1-396 (= 396.54-0ubuntu0~gpu18.04.1) but it is not going to be installed
        VINNY
        That's the exact same result I got when I tried to install it from canicals PPA. It seems to be broken on everyone's PPA. It might work if we try NVIDA's PPA. That would be the generic version which I don't want and would not recommend as it would be missing distro specific things.
        Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

Comment

I refreshed synaptic this morning and saw the driver seemed to be fixed. I installed it and it seemed to work. I re-booted and... No video! I used recovery mode and figured out NVIDIA persistence Damon fails to start. I think it's a directory permissions problem. I can edit the boot config, but what command and where do I put it,to override and boot with beds or something. If I can get video then I can switch back to the previous NVIDIA driver until they fix it.

Comment

I refreshed synaptic this morning and saw the driver seemed to be fixed. I installed it and it seemed to work. I re-booted and... No video! I used recovery mode and figured out NVIDIA persistence Damon fails to start. I think it's a directory permissions problem. I can edit the boot config, but what command and where do I put it,to override and boot with vesa or something. If I can get video then I can switch back to the previous NVIDIA driver until they fix it.

Comment

not hear , I still get the same output as before.

you say
              It seems to be broken on everyone's PPA
              what do you mean by this , how many PPA's do you have active for graphics drivers ?

If I can get video then I can switch back to the previous NVIDIA driver until they fix it.
              can you switch to a TTY and change drivers on the CLI

VINNY
              16GB RAM

Comment

not hear , I still get the same output as before.

you say what do you mean by this , how many PPA's do you have active for graphics drivers ?

can you switch to a TTY and change drivers on the CLI

VINNY
                Just one PPA but I had a canonical PPA active earlier. They fixed it on the PPA I got here. It doesn't work even though it installs. as I said above, NVIDIA persistence Damon fails to start thus a blank screen. I can edit the GRUB 2 boot via the menu> CFG editor. I just need to know the commands and where to insert them also what is the keyboard keys to save and exit the editor?

Comment

well how about telling what PPA you got their .

as far as grub , at the grub menu press e you enter edit mode , use the arrow keys to move the cursor to just after "quiet splash" on the "linux" line , hear you can ether backspace out the "quiet splash" and replace it with "nomodeset" or just add nomodeset after it , then press "ctrl x" to boot with your edits .

VINNY
                  16GB RAM

Comment

as far as grub , at the grub menu press e you enter edit mode , use the arrow keys to move the cursor to just after "quiet splash" on the "linux" line , hear you can ether backspace out the "quiet splash" and replace it with "nomodeset" or just add nomodeset after it , then press "ctrl x" to boot with your edits .

VINNY
                    Thanks vinny. I already used e at the GRUB menu. I just couldn't get any further. I will try this after I get back from checking my mail.

Comment

VINNY
                      There is no "quiet splash".

Comment

I was unable to edit the grub config. I found another way. I booted to the recovery window then activated networking. I selected the command prompt option. I entered apt install nvidia-390. apt replaced the 396 with 390 and removed 396. I rebooted, logged in and I am back. How do I know when the 396 is really working? I can not play my steam play games until I can Upgrade to the new driver.

Comment

This is the PPA I used. It needs to be fixed as nvidia persistence damon cannot start.

Comment

Originally posted by steve7233 View Post
                            This is the PPA I used. It needs to be fixed as nvidia persistence damon cannot start.
                            same one I use ,,and as I said ,,,it's still broke (396) you should do an apt-get simulation of the install first ,

Code:
                            vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ sudo apt-get [COLOR=#ff0000]-s[/COLOR] install nvidia-driver-396
                            Building dependency tree       

the -s is for simulate

VINNY
                            16GB RAM

Comment

The NVIDIA 396 Ubuntu package is still broken. I just updated and tried to simulate an install. [CODE]steve7233@steve7233-Z68XP-UD3:~$ sudo apt-get -s install nvidia-driver-396
                              Building dependency tree

nvidia-driver-396 : Depends: libnvidia-gl-396 (= 396.54-0ubuntu0~gpu18.04.1) but it is not going to be installed
                              Depends: nvidia-dkms-396 (= 396.54-0ubuntu0~gpu18.04.1) but it is not going to be installed
                              Depends: nvidia-kernel-source-396 (= 396.54-0ubuntu0~gpu18.04.1) but it is not going to be installed
                              Depends: nvidia-compute-utils-396 (= 396.54-0ubuntu0~gpu18.04.1) but it is not going to be installed
                              Depends: nvidia-utils-396 (= 396.54-0ubuntu0~gpu18.04.1) but it is not going to be installed
                              steve7233@steve7233-Z68XP-UD3:~[CODE]

Comment

Amazing. Just like what vinnywright said ...

Like it or not, some things just stay broke for a while, while others go the way of the dodo bird
                                The next brick house on the left
                                Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Working...
                                X