Sorry about that!
      No problem; I'm grateful for the assistance. Here you go:

Code:
      newguy@newguy-Dell-System-XPS-L321X:~$ ls /usr/share/xsessions
      plasma.desktop
      newguy@newguy-Dell-System-XPS-L321X:~$

Comment

Originally posted by 2muchcoffeeman View Post
        . . . do you actually mean to type, literally, another-package ? Or is that placeholder text for a valid package name?
        Placeholder for what apt said it could not install on the previous try.
        On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Originally posted by acheron View Post
          Placeholder for what apt said it could not install on the previous try.
          Thank you. I would like to stress that I am, as probably is obvious, a newguy, and that getting up the Linux learning curve is a long, steep slog, where no amount of prior knowledge can be assumed. I am, however, encouraged that it even occurred to me to ask the question. In my even newer newguy state not so long ago, I might not have looked twice at the command.

Comment

abandoned
            Last edited by 2muchcoffeeman; Sep 02, 2018, 10:42 PM.

Comment

Try:

apt-get install muon software-properties-kde

if that fails with:

Depends: another-package but it is not going to be installed

then do

apt-get install muon software-properties-kde another-package

and repeat that process until apt give you a sensible verbose reason why it can't install things, or it says it can but it would require uninstalling or downgrading something else.
              Okay, here are the results:
              Code:
              newguy@newguy-Dell-System-XPS-L321X:~$ [COLOR="#FF0000"]sudo apt-get install muon software-properties-kde[/COLOR]
              Reading package lists... Done
              Building dependency tree       
              Reading state information... Done
              Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
              requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
              distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
              or been moved out of Incoming.
              The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
              software-properties-kde : [COLOR="#0000FF"]Depends: python3-pyqt5 but it is not going to be installed[/COLOR]
              E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
              newguy@newguy-Dell-System-XPS-L321X:~$ [COLOR="#FF0000"]sudo apt-get install muon software-properties-kde python3-pyqt5[/COLOR]
              Building dependency tree       

python3-pyqt5 : [COLOR="#0000FF"]Depends: libpython3.6 (>= 3.6.4~rc1) but it is not going to be installed[/COLOR]
              newguy@newguy-Dell-System-XPS-L321X:~$ [COLOR="#FF0000"]sudo apt-get install muon software-properties-kde libpython3.6[/COLOR]
              Building dependency tree       

libpython3.6 : [COLOR="#0000FF"]Depends: libpython3.6-stdlib (= 3.6.5-3) but 3.6.5-5~16.04.york1 is to be installed[/COLOR]
              newguy@newguy-Dell-System-XPS-L321X:~$ [COLOR="#FF0000"]sudo apt-get install muon software-properties-kde libpython3.6-stdlib[/COLOR]
              Building dependency tree       
              [COLOR="#00FF00"]libpython3.6-stdlib is already the newest version (3.6.5-5~16.04.york1).
              libpython3.6-stdlib set to manually installed.[/COLOR]

software-properties-kde : [COLOR="#0000FF"]Depends: python3-pyqt5 but it is not going to be installed[/COLOR]
              newguy@newguy-Dell-System-XPS-L321X:~$
              At the end, we come back to the first Depends: message. The sequence ends up being circular.

Also, I noticed this line:

Code:
              libpython3.6 : Depends: libpython3.6-stdlib (= 3.6.5-3) [COLOR="#FF0000"]but 3.6.5-5~16.04.york1 is to be installed[/COLOR]
              That was different from any of the others.

And there was this, which also stood out from all the other results:

Code:
              libpython3.6-stdlib is already the newest version (3.6.5-5~16.04.york1).
              libpython3.6-stdlib set to manually installed.
              Last edited by 2muchcoffeeman; Sep 02, 2018, 11:09 PM.

Comment

So libpython3.6-stdlib (= 3.6.5-3) but 3.6.5-5~16.04.york1 is to be installed is the issue.

or at least part of it.

Likely caused by having this ppa on Xenial https://launchpad.net/~jonathonf/+ar...tu/python-3.6/

and the packages still being there break the Bionic dependencies, as those PPA packages were packaged with higher versions than the Bionic ones.

I would find any packages from that PPA (probably all have that .york in the version) and force downgrade them to the correct versions from the main Bionic ubuntu archive.
                On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Woof. Okay, thank you very much. I will need to go to school on how to "find packages" and then on "force downgrading."

This is how we learn, right?

I'll be back with a report.
                  Last edited by 2muchcoffeeman; Sep 02, 2018, 11:33 PM.

Comment

those PPA packages were packaged with higher versions
                    . . . ."higher versions" . . . of Python, you mean? Or do I misunderstand?

Comment

. . . ."higher versions" . . . of Python, you mean? Or do I misunderstand?
                      No, in this case higher packaging version.

3.6.5-5~16.04.york1 > 3.6.5-3

It is still 3.6.5, but part of the version string after the '-' represents the debian/ubuntu packaging version.

Higher versions of the packaging revision supersede lower ones so you can have upgrades, if you say fix something in the packaging.

In Kubuntu PPAs we version things so as to not get situations like this, but anyone can make a PPA so many out there don't bother or think about what happens when people upgrade.

Comment

Woof. Okay, thank you very much. I will need to go to school on how to "find packages" and then on "force downgrading."
                        1st step would be In a terminal.

dpkg --list | grep 16.04.york1

Should give you a list of what you have installed.

Please paste that if you like.

Then you would need to force downgrade. You can try that via a GUI, but it can get messy.

If I were doing it I would construct an apt line such as:

apt-get install package1=3.6.5-3 package2=3.6.5-3 package3=3.6.5-3

(and so on)

package(1,2,3...) are again placeholders for whatever package names you get that need downgrading. The = a version instructs apt to install that version, which in this case will force a downgrade to that version. Also note there is no spaces around the =

Comment

Working...
                        X