This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[DESKTOP] Discover/update BUGGED

I tried to do an update just now. I clicked update but the password request never appeared! I tried to close dolphin to restart it hoping it was just a glitch. It said tasks needed to be done. I had to terminate the process so I could restart dolphin. It worked correctly this time. I supect it was my mouse problem again and it probably started the update then cancled it and that probably reavealed a bug where the cancle dosn't work properly. Might want to report this to the dolphin people so they can track it down and squash the bug.
    Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

Update using Dolphin?! Huh? Please explain.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Sorry, that should have been discover.
      Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

Comment

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...er-and-updates

Basically, a newer version of Discover should fix this, but these have not yet bee released to the PPAs.
        Since Cosmic just got these updates, hopefully they will be available to Bionic users soon.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...er-and-updates

Basically, a newer version of Discover should fix this, but these have not yet bee released to the PPAs.
          Since Cosmic just got these updates, hopefully they will be available to Bionic users soon.
          Ok. Thanks. Its no big deal. I was just reporting it in case they were interested in making the program better. I mean this isn't Micro crap, rather its Linux which is what I would call a real operating system. Not something that merly looks and acts like a real operating system, but actually is quit lousey at it. Especially security. Security and Micro crap is a joke. They pretend to be concered, but... I mean running as root...

Really

Comment

This problem is still present and getting worse. I just tried rebooting because of the same problem and had to use the Konsel to fix it. dpkg got interrupted and I had to use the -a switch to fix it.

Comment

Do yourself a favor and uninstall Discover.
              Use Muon to install packages you don't know the exact spelling of, because its search function can find pieces of a name, and for general updates simply do, in a Konsole,
              sudo apt update
              sudo apt full-upgrade

Forget all that Discover drama.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I second the use of Muon instead.
                Kubuntu 18.04 on AMD

Comment

All in favor of Muon, say "aye" ...

The motion carries. It's not that Discover can't do anything, or won't be better some day; it has its uses. But if you can type in any part of a software's name or any part of its description, Muon is excellent. If you already know the name, or need to update, just use apt on the command line.
                  The next brick house on the left
                  Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Discover continues to be inconsistent in correctly getting and installing the updates--sometimes it works fine, and sometimes it freezes. (It sometimes works on the laptop here but not on the desktop PC, or vice versa; or they both work OK; or neither works correctly.) But as claydoh says above, it will soon be fixed. My concern is only for new, non-technical, higher-level users, not updating their system, or not even being aware they need to.
                    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I edited your thread title so other know the topic...

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by steve7233 View Post
                        This problem is still present and getting worse. I just tried rebooting because of the same problem and had to use the Konsel to fix it. dpkg got interrupted and I had to use the -a switch to fix it.
                        Likely because of a broken update to packagekit.

See: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...t/+bug/1790613

Quite a facepalm moment seeing a package-managment frontend like packagekit crash when try to upgrade itself!
                        On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

I will say Muon ain't all that great either - at least not on KDEneon 16.04 or 18.04. I feel my life slipping away while I watch the Xapain Index reloading bar progress slowly from left to right, over and over and over and over...

I have, for the last two years or so, strictly used the command line to update and install/remove packages. I will launch Muon once in a blue moon to search for something new, but even apt-cache is 1000 times quicker than that. I have put aliases in bash so all the common commands are one word and put apt and apt-get in sudoers so I don't need my password to use them any longer.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                            I will say Muon ain't all that great either - at least not on KDEneon 16.04 or 18.04. I feel my life slipping away while I watch the Xapain Index reloading bar progress slowly from left to right, over and over and over and over...

I have, for the last two years or so, strictly used the command line to update and install/remove packages. I will launch Muon once in a blue moon to search for something new, but even apt-cache is 1000 times quicker than that. I have put aliases in bash so all the common commands are one word and put apt and apt-get in sudoers so I don't need my password to use them any longer.
                            You just nailed my #1 complaint about Muon: the use of a bubble sort to do a re-indexing when you change a search term or install an app.

With an SSD and 16GB of RAM no index rebuilding should take that long on only 91,000 entries, even in a GUI environment.

To time it I just did an upgrade for 9 packages. When it was done the re-indexing took 80 seconds and spent 40 of those seconds at the 95% mark on the progress bar. (SSD & 16GB RAM on Kubuntu Bionic desktop) The app should re-index just once, when you open it, and never again until the next time it is opened again. The odds of the repository being updated for those few minutes that you want to search for and/or install a package is so low that re-indexing while using the package is a waste of the user's time.
                            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

You can always try Synaptic ...
                              The next brick house on the left
                              Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Working...
                              X