This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Send File Attachments using Thunderbird - A better way

There have been many different proposed solutions to this, but for Kubuntu 16.04 upwards and Debian 8 upwards I have found this method by far the easiest to implement:

First backup the KMail sendto service
    Code:
    sudo -s
    [FONT=monospace]cd /usr/share/kservices5/ServiceMenus/
    [/FONT][FONT=monospace]cp kmail_addattachmentservicemenu.desktop kmail_addattachmentservicemenu.desktop_bak
    mv[/FONT][FONT=monospace] kmail_addattachmentservicemenu.desktop thunderbird[/FONT][FONT=monospace]_addattachmentservicemenu.desktop
    [/FONT]
    Next edit thunderbird_addattachmentservicemenu.desktop as follows:
    Locate the line containing Icon=kmail and change it to Icon=thunderbird
    Remove the line containing Exec=kmail --attach %F
    Add the following line (Copy and paste is best):
    Exec=thunderbird -compose "attachment='$(A='';for file in %F;do A=$file,$A;done;echo "$A" | sed 's/.$//')'"

That's it all done, right click on file(s) and click on Send as Email Attachment.

Last edited by biztux; Aug 22, 2018, 09:39 AM. Reason: Wanted to add an icon

From the Dolphin configuration "services" panel I downloaded KDE-Services by geobarrod. It has "send as email attachment" as one of its many services.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by biztux View Post
      There have been many different proposed solutions to this, but for Kubuntu 16.04 upwards and Debian 8 upwards I have found this method by far the easiest to implement:

First backup the KMail sendto service
      Code:
      sudo -s
      [FONT=monospace]cd /usr/share/kservices5/ServiceMenus/
      [/FONT][FONT=monospace]cp kmail_addattachmentservicemenu.desktop kmail_addattachmentservicemenu.desktop_bak
      mv[/FONT][FONT=monospace] kmail_addattachmentservicemenu.desktop thunderbird[/FONT][FONT=monospace]_addattachmentservicemenu.desktop
      [/FONT]
      Next edit thunderbird_addattachmentservicemenu.desktop as follows:
      Locate the line containing Icon=kmail and change it to Icon=thunderbird
      Remove the line containing Exec=kmail --attach %F
      Add the following line (Copy and paste is best):
      Exec=thunderbird -compose "attachment='$(A='';for file in %F;do A=$file,$A;done;echo "$A" | sed 's/.$//')'"

That's it all done, right click on file(s) and click on Send as Email Attachment.

I tried KDE-Services, and some of the other similar packages, the method above works exactly as expected, that is why I posted it in the first place.

Comment

Working...
      X