This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] How do I edit start-up items?

I have a utility program installed that pops up 4 instances whenever Kubuntu starts. How can i edit/config desktop manager?
    Using Linux only for a few years, using mostly mouse on GUI (sorry gurus). Kubuntu 19.04 beta on home-built: GigaByte board - AMD Phenom II, 3000 6 core, RAM 4 Gb,

Before you go messing around with the DE, what is the name of that utility, and how did you install it?
    Last edited by GreyGeek; Aug 22, 2018, 04:18 PM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Synergy version 1
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Synergy X 4.png
Views:	1
Size:	198.3 KB
ID:	643967
      Using Linux only for a few years, using mostly mouse on GUI (sorry gurus). Kubuntu 19.04 beta on home-built: GigaByte board - AMD Phenom II, 3000 6 core, RAM 4 Gb,

Comment

That doesn't tell me how you installed it...

Since your are trying to connect to client side IP addresses, any reason why krdc and krfb didn't work for you?
        Last edited by GreyGeek; Aug 22, 2018, 04:18 PM.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Synergy is used to share a keyboard and mouse across multiple computers and OSs, a virtual KVM switch if you will.

My guess is that this is an artifact of the default Plasma setting to restore the previous desktop session at login. I have seen this happen in the past. You can disable that in System Settings, or blacklist synergy there to prevent it from being saved in the session. You can also turn off and on autostart items in System Settings as well, both settings are in the same section.

I have only found one report on this specific problem with Synergy, from 2016, and it did involve Plasma, but there was no response in their forums. If the disabling does not work, you might have to go to their support for this one, but I do suspect the session saving is causing this.

If this only started happening recently, and the workaround does fix the issue, you might try re-enabling the session restore, as it could simply be a corrupted session file. But I think that the saved session is loading instance(s), and then Synergy, if set to auto start, is then loading another one.

Comment

thanks, but... oops. you just exceeded my knowledge level of things Kubuntu. or Ubuntu, or...terminal...or...

I just did a quick search and found the options you referenced. They are not applicable here.
            Synergy allows one to link several computers together, using one keyboard and mouse. The image below is from a different version, but you can see the configuration of my systems. The mouse moves seamlessly from one screen to another (one computer to another). The installation I am working with right now is an RC version. Looking at this image, I am right now using 'Petersen,' computer, it is the 'server.'

Name:	Synergy 2 GUI.png
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	643968
            Last edited by GranPaSmurf; Aug 23, 2018, 03:49 AM. Reason: clarification

Comment

claydoh,
              thanks. BTW, I'm a moderator on Synergy Forums.
              This particular installation is a RC. I'm in touch with the developers, usually on a daily basis. It just looked to me like this was a Kubuntu issue rather than a Synergy issue. In fact, the reply I have from the Synergy developer is:
              "@GranPaSmurf since synergy 1 has no auto start feature on linux, i'm guessing this could be caused by having 4 startup items in your desktop manager config?"
              I explored the 'settings' > 'startup...' screens but I don't see where to go from here.

Comment

this is a sort of 'selfie' from where I sit this morning. I'm on the lower right 2 (dual monitor) screens but using the other 2 computers also.Click image for larger version

Name:	screens - 23Aug18.jpg
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	643969

Comment

system settings -> start up and shutdown Is where the list can be found. .. I would also check you "System settings -> Desktop Session and see what your options for "On Login" if its "restore my previous session" that would explain why you get several synergy' starting up
                  Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                  (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Synergy has it's own setting to not show on start up also:

Name:	Screenshot_20180823_120551.jpg
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	643970

Please Read Me

Comment

@GpaSmurf, that’s a pretty cool setup! Are all four PCs setting on your desk?

oshunluver, are you using it too?

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                        oshunluver, are you using it too?
                        Yup, have been for years. Currently just one computer, but in the past up to 4. I can slide the mouse to any monitor and the keyboard "follows" it. Latest versions have clipboard sharing which is awesome. I can cut-n-paste from one PC to another.

Please Read Me

Comment

I would like Synergy to open at boot, but not 4 instances

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48 View Post
                            system settings -> I would also check you "System settings -> Desktop Session and see what your options for "On Login" if its "restore my previous session" that would explain why you get several synergy' starting up
                            This seems to fix the multiple instances issue. I reset to open with new session and manually started Synergy each time. After a couple of re-boots, normal daily operation, I reset it to 'restore.'
                            Now on boot-up I have Synergy, but only a single instance. Thanks sithlord48!

Comment

Working...
                            X