This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Consider including kcm-wacomtablet out of the box

Basically every distro comes with (usually inadequate) System Settings support for graphic tablets.
    It may not always be possible to turn off touch functionality and it may not be possible to remap buttons (on the tablet, not the stylus) but there's at least something there.

And with Kubuntu 18.04, you could not only have something but possibly even this fantastic thing as a "freebie" (KDE neon already does). In the sense that it compiled, installed and worked just as great as it does with KDE neon.

Personally, I'm not even sure whether I will keep using kubuntu because I'm having problems with essential things. But I think it would be beneficial for both kubuntu and artists who want to use Linux moving forward.

I pulled out my Wacom Bamboo Tablet and Stylus and plugged it in. Installed MyPaint. The combo worked beautifully "out of the box".
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Essential? Depends
      Easy to include? yes

Might be worth filing a bug/feature request for this or ask on the kubuntu-dev mailing list, the Kubuntu devs do not hang out on forums very often, but are amenable to good ideas.
      The project was dead for a while, and it was in the PPAs in the past.

Note that this was only added to Neon last April, so there is a chance it can be added to Cosmic, if it isn't already in the works.

Comment

Debian started work on this.

https://salsa.debian.org/qt-kde-team...bian/changelog

Was hoping they would have uploaded that to unstable by now so it could simply be synced into 18.10, but progress seems slow. If that doesn't happen then it's on the radar for doing our own upload.
        On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Cool, thanks for the update, acheron!

I didn't see that it was dead for quite a while until recently. Tried to install the old v2 from 2013 at some point (think I only tried it with Mint 18.3 KDE) but it simply didn't show up in the settings, so I only know v3 via KDE neon. And there, it offers more extensive configuration options than anything else I've seen - hence this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
            I pulled out my Wacom Bamboo Tablet.
            Exactly. People who truly use tablets, use it all the time, for everything. Demands are different then. You need to be able to e.g. map mouse buttons to tablet buttons. Which none of the tools (e.g. the settings included with Cinnamon) except the one I linked to can.

On a sidenote - I once worked at a company where hundreds of people were working on CentOS workstations using only tablets. Quite an untapped market if those people could use Linux as a general purpose OS at home.

Comment

Originally posted by sh4dow View Post
              Exactly. People who truly use tablets, use it all the time, for everything. Demands are different then. You need to be able to e.g. map mouse buttons to tablet buttons. Which none of the tools (e.g. the settings included with Cinnamon) except the one I linked to can.

On a sidenote - I once worked at a company where hundreds of people were working on CentOS workstations using only tablets. Quite an untapped market if those people could use Linux as a general purpose OS at home.
              You're absolutely right. When I first bought my wacom bamboo there were tools to calibrate the screen corners, the pressure levels, assign buttons, etc... I did all of that. The major app I used was MyPaint, because it worked with the tablet when many other apps did so poorly or not at all. Not being an artist or using GIMP or Binder to often the Bamboo crawled back into its case and disappeared into my drawer.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
              X