X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PLASMA 5] Shutingdown problem

Hello,

software and hardware power off button sometimes do not work. I must use Ctrl+Alt+F2 and hardware button work. I use Plasma 5.12.6 use Kubuntu backports PPA.

Thanks

How did you install Kubuntu 18.04, fresh install or upgrade? Kubuntu 18.04 already comes with Plasma 5.12.6 and Qt 5.9.5 What have you installed from that PPA? Perhaps you should roll back the PPA update.
    Last edited by GreyGeek; Aug 06, 2018, 10:46 AM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

It helps if you install inxi from moun and issue this command so we can see a snapshot of your system,
      inxi -Fxz
      Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

The proper shutdown is from the menu by selecting either the "shutdown" icon, or selecting "Shut Down" from the Power/Session submenu. Yes, it is possible to configure the power button to perform a shutdown action, but the menu selection or entering "sudo shutdown -h now" at the command line are each designed to do a proper closeout and power off.
        The next brick house on the left
        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Thank you for your answers. I wondered how to turn off the system in a different way, and I also found shutdown -h now through the Firefox Auto Shutdown plugin. So I probably do not have to use the sudo command. I had to install the script from Auto Shutdown. I have OpenSUSE installed for testing and after update KDE 5.13.4 I also did not shutdown or reboot via KDE buttons. After the restart it works. So I'm satisfied with the shutdown -h now command. Thanks again for your help.

Comment

Another way to shutdown from the command line is:
            Code:
            qdbus org.kde.ksmserver /KSMServer logout 1 2 3
            You might try that in a konsole to see if there are error messages. KDE itself used to use something like this, but now with systemd or plasma5 I'm not sure how it does now. If it works it's nicer than shutdown -h, I get an opportunity to cancel the shutdown. I'll try and attach a desktop file that you could use to have a shutdown button; note that the file should be named shutdown.desktop, but is attached as shutdown.txt because the forum disallows .desktop attachments. After renaming it, you can drag it from dolphin onto a panel to get a button.
            Attached Files
            Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
              Another way to shutdown from the command line is:
              it's nicer than shutdown -h, I get an opportunity to cancel the shutdown.
              Yes, you probably shouldn't run "shutdown -h now" from the desktop. It shuts the system down rather abruptly, not letting the desktop session to exit cleanly. It's sort of the last resort when normal methods fail.

Comment

OK I try using qdbus through console. Maybe an error will appear and I can share it.

Comment

Konsole do not show error message :-( Maybe I try inxi as mentioned by kc1di . I would install a clean installation of Kubuntu, but everything set up like Borther printers, etc., scares me :-(

Comment

Originally posted by maikcrew View Post
                    Konsole do not show error message
                    I presume it didn't shutdown either.

I suggest looking at the system logs. KSystemLog is great for that.

Regards, John Little
                    Regards, John Little

Comment

Sorry for my slow thinking. Eventually causes the error add-on KDE5 Wallet password integration for Thunderbird 52.9.1. I will try to contact the add-on authors. Thank you for your patience with me.

Comment

Working...
                      X