This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dolphin root priviledge

I was trying to copy a file to /usr/lib, but couldn't open dolphin in root not matter what. Anyone know how to gain root priviledge in Dolphin. kdesu no longer works
    I ended up doing it in the terminal but would prefer to do in the the file manager.
    Thanks
    Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

A polkit route is being worked on.

See
    https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post396903
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/9906...olphin-as-root
    https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=179678
    Last edited by chimak111; Jul 05, 2018, 07:52 AM.
    Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Thanks for the info chimak111,
      For the time being I install pcmanfm which has no problem with root access.
      Hope the fix dolphin soon.

Comment

Alt-F2
        konsole
        sudo cp /<somepath>/<somefile> /usr/lib/
        done

Please Read Me

Comment

Sorry, I can't help it. Old DOS 3.1 user here...

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
            Sorry, I can't help it. Old DOS 3.1 user here...
            Yeah, I'm the same.

For us old-uns the terminal isn't a fearful prospect at all. And the terminal power we have in Linux compared to the half-**ssed DOS command line just isn't worth comparing. Even Powershell isn't much good I think from my admittedly limited experience with it.

But having said that, I think Linux newbies really should make the effort to learn a few basic terminal commands to do basic things like copying, deleting/moving files, creating folders, etc. It's not that difficult, really! I learned how to use nano soon after 'converting' to Linux early on and find I can do most editing without much hassle.

I do like the latest changes though with editing root owned files via Kate and just being asked for the password upon saving. Definitely a good move there by the developers.
            Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
            Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod J View Post
              Yeah, I'm the same.

For us old-uns the terminal isn't a fearful prospect at all. And the terminal power we have in Linux compared to the half-**ssed DOS command line just isn't worth comparing. Even Powershell isn't much good I think from my admittedly limited experience with it.

But having said that, I think Linux newbies really should make the effort to learn a few basic terminal commands to do basic things like copying, deleting/moving files, creating folders, etc. It's not that difficult, really! I learned how to use nano soon after 'converting' to Linux early on and find I can do most editing without much hassle.

I do like the latest changes though with editing root owned files via Kate and just being asked for the password upon saving. Definitely a good move there by the developers.
              Agreed.

It's kind of an odd dual universe: Old DOS users who know the power of the CLI (feel the force, lol) and the young Padawans who, coming from Windows only, don't even know what a command line is. Me? When confronted by a program that won't do what I want? No problem, make it happen with a couple dozen keystrokes and no fancy-shamancy pictures to "guide" me. Them? grab the remote and change the channel. Just the way it is, I suppose.

Please Read Me

Comment

... Old DOS users who know the power of the CLI ...

Is that bitter irony? "DOS" and "power" in the same sentence?
                Regards, John Little

Comment

Alt-F2
                  konsole
                  sudo cp /<somepath>/<somefile> /usr/lib/
                  done

That's what I did I know how to use the CLI, Just was wondering why dolphin would not work to transfer file with root permission. Thought I had missed something simple.

Comment

I can't remember names or spellings anymore so I open a Konsole and do "sudo mc". It is a FAST dual panel view of what ever two directories you navigate to. I navigate to and highlight the source file in the left panel and hit the F5 button to move it to the directory I've set up in the right panel. I can highlight multiple files and/or directories. I can elect to keep or modify permissions. I can elect to overwrite or skip existing files. I can change owners and permissions, and much more.
                    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

+1 for MC (Midnight Commander)

It's a good compromise between typing commands and a full gui file manager. Check it out people!
                      Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
                      Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

+2
                        Rod! (One for each post. )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

MC is a great tool

Comment

Another +1 for mc.

I'm no longer running KDE (again) but I'm giving reasonably high marks to spacefm as a file manager. Nothing I've seen works better than dolphin, pcmanfm is usually my second choice but is currently impacted by a gvfs "feature" that makes all my shares show up twice in the places section. At least with spacefm I could manually build the bookmark list I needed.

My understanding is that spacefm is a fork of pcmanfm. One thing spacefm will do that pcmanfm (or thunar) won't is that you can start the application with a split window.

And why I walked away from KDE again? Same problem with release management that KDE4 had - they're still releasing broken stuff and after 13 point releases that shouldn't be happening IMO. A shame, really - as I'm a big fan of KDE. It seems with KDE devs that feature set is more important than stability and I just can't work that way
                            we see things not as they are, but as we are.
                            -- anais nin

Comment

Originally posted by wizard10000 View Post

And why I walked away from KDE again? Same problem with release management that KDE4 had - they're still releasing broken stuff and after 13 point releases that shouldn't be happening IMO. A shame, really - as I'm a big fan of KDE. It seems with KDE devs that feature set is more important than stability and I just can't work that way
                              Hey, dev's aren't perfect, they have lives to live, the work at regular jobs to support themselves and their family and pay the bills, and their time and efforts are freely given. Personally, everything I use in Plasma5 is running perfectly. Plasma5 is the best desktop I've ever used, and I've used them all except Win10.
                              Last edited by GreyGeek; Aug 03, 2018, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X