This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
    On Neon unstable, it works, but it does funny things.
    It opens in a /home that doesn't exist. It's empty, unless I show hidden files, and then it shows things I don't have, and very few of them.
    If I go through /root to /home, it shows the correct one.
    In that "fake home", if I Show editable location, it says /root/ .

So, it may be useable, but obviously I won't use it
    The "root" user's $HOME directory IS "/root", so that's exactly what it is supposed to do (so it does not really do "funny things"), it open's in root users $HOME, not your regular users $HOME which is commonly /home/<username>...and root users $HOME usually does not contain much besides root's config files (the "hidden" directories and files).

IOW, it's not a "fake home", it's "root's home"

If you really want it opening on your user's $HOME you can use:
    Code:
    pkexec env DISPLAY=$DISPLAY XAUTHORITY=$XAUTHORITY KDE_SESSION_VERSION=5 KDE_FULL_SESSION=true dolphin $HOME
    But you normally don't want to do much in your regular user's $HOME when running dolphin as root
    Last edited by kubicle; Jul 23, 2019, 02:47 PM.

Comment

I am aware of all warnings about using root GUI Applications and what can go wrong. So long I have not experienced any problems. Using it most for annoying Apache www folder symlinked to User folder. Forgot to make fake root for Apache and www outside the "var". Added User to www-data group but it is allways additional job with wordpress permisssions, somehow.
      For most of the other things Kate is enough with root password popup.

Does anyone know how to force permanent titlebar caption/name, custom icon in Panel bar, or custom window color scheme. Via launcher's "Edit Applications" menu editor, command ?
      --caption is not working
      --title is working initialy. As soon you change folder in Dolphin it is gone.

I would really like to have some permanent warning that opened Dolphin window is opened in root mode. I tend to have open Dolphin window for hours, so would like to not mix it with non-root Dolphin.

Comment

I see. So it opens on /root. Got it.
        I just wasn't aware of what was in there (as you can imagine).

So, if I wanted it to open on / , I would use KDE_FULL_SESSION=true dolphin / ?
        Which would - probably - make more sense anyway...

[EDIT] Don't know why I asked really. All I had to do was try... Yes, I use dolphin / and it opens there :·)
        Last edited by Don B. Cilly; Jul 23, 2019, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stagger Lee View Post
          or custom window color scheme.
          I commonly use a darker color scheme, for all root apps...you can do this by starting system settings as root and setting a color scheme there...it will affect all root started apps.

Comment

Originally posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
            On Neon unstable, it works, but it does funny things.
            It opens in a /home that doesn't exist. It's empty, unless I show hidden files, and then it shows things I don't have, and very few of them.
            If I go through /root to /home, it shows the correct one.
            In that "fake home", if I Show editable location, it says /root/ .

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8203[/ATTACH]

So, it may be useable, but obviously I won't use it
            It's not a "fake" home, it's root home. You opened Dolphin as root, thus /root/ is the default folder to open. There's nothing in it of notice because you're not supposed to be using GUI applications as root. IMO this is the #1 reason new users mess up their installations.

It's your system so do what you want, but I would never suggest doing this to anyone.

If you really just can't figure out how to do things without running the GUI as root, why go through all this rigmarole? Just create a root password, log in as root, and be done with it. Heck, why even have a regular user account at all?

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
              It's your system so do what you want...
              To me, this should be the primary reason why it should be left alone.

Just because I do use it on occasion, doesn't mean that I would use it all the time or just create a root user and perpetually log into as root.

If you really just can't figure out how to do things without running the GUI as root, why go through all this rigmarole? Just create a root password, log in as root, and be done with it. Heck, why even have a regular user account at all?
              Unfortunately, the one issue that happens when running as CLI elevated, the files that move over still retain their original wide open permission settings. They don't inherent root settings. So before I do su(dp) mv "blah blah", I have to chown and chmod and then mv them to root. GUI, at least in my experience, with elevated file managers, once you cancel the elevation, they inherit the root settings.

At least in my experience.
              Lenovo Thinkstation: Xeon E5 CPU 32GB ECC Ram KDE Neon

Comment

If you really just can't figure out how to do things without running the GUI as root, why go through all this rigmarole?
                Well, I did say " [I love my CLI] ... For some things, though (very few, mind you) it's good to be able to - for example - manage files (with obnoxious names) in protected places with a GUI... like, once every few months, maybe."...

And it's not that much of a rigmarole, is it?

Comment

Strange it does not work on another Notebook fresh installation.

Comment

I found out why. dbus-x11 package was missing.

Comment

Working...
                    X