This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
    Hey, dev's aren't perfect, they have lives to live, the work at regular jobs to support themselves and their family and pay the bills, and their time and efforts are freely given. Personally, everything I use in Plasma5 is running perfectly. Plasma5 is the best desktop I've ever used, and I've used them all except Win10.
    I've worked in IT Service Management for 25 years; when a scheduled release causes a regression it's a problem with the release management process - it's a rule. Either the process has gaps or the process wasn't followed.. The problem isn't the developers, it's the release management process and has about zero to do with volunteer work

I gave up (again) after 5.12 was released and plasmashell started throwing errors with systemsettings5. After a dozen point releases it's completely unacceptable to me that we've got regressions in basic functionality. This is the same thing that caused me to give up on Plasma 4.8

Don't get me wrong, KDE is also my favorite desktop but I tried to ask for a refund and they wouldn't give me one

edit: I really didn't mean to poison this thread; maybe we should start another one if we want to explore this. Or not - we can always agree to disagree
    we see things not as they are, but as we are.
    -- anais nin

Comment

I programmed for 40 years, 15ys running my own programming, consulting and criminal forensics business, if appealing to authority is a bonus.

The KDE devs are doing an excellent job within the constraints they work under. Bugs happen. So do regressions. And some are related to the Qt API they are using. Some they can fix, some they can work around, and some they can’t fix or work around. Also, Plasma5 works better on some hardware and not so good on others. I primarily use Acers for the last 15-20 years andI’ve had excellent results with both Plasma4 and Plasma five. However, I’m lazy and run pretty much straight vanilla. My HP P1606dn laser jet duplex printer was plugged in when I installed BIONIC and when I opened HPLIP to install it I found that it had been installed automatically. That’s usually been my experience with printers - just plug them and and KDE automatically configures them. When I ran “Ubuntu-drivers autoconfigure” NVidia 390 installed perfectly. And so it goes. Usually, when I have a problem with KDE the root cause is me.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard10000 View Post
        Don't get me wrong, KDE is also my favorite desktop but I tried to ask for a refund and they wouldn't give me one
        That's because they didn't know how to refund you the zero dollars you spent on it!
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I've worked in IT Service Management for 25 years; when a scheduled release causes a regression it's a problem with the release management process - it's a rule. Either the process has gaps or the process wasn't followed.. The problem isn't the developers, it's the release management process and has about zero to do with volunteer work

I gave up (again) after 5.12 was released and plasmashell started throwing errors with systemsettings5. After a dozen point releases it's completely unacceptable to me that we've got regressions in basic functionality. This is the same thing that caused me to give up on Plasma 4.8

edit: I really didn't mean to poison this thread; maybe we should start another one if we want to explore this. Or not - we can always agree to disagree
          Sorry wizard10000, but I respectfully disagree. A process does nothing by itself. If a person follows the process and failure results, then the process has failed. if a person does not follow the process and failure results, then the person failed. In this case since the person is a complete volunteer, failure of the person is unavoidable due to extreme resource constraints, and success of the person is because of extreme heroics and has nothing to do with the resource constrained process. Again, that is my opinion!
          The next brick house on the left
          Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

I dunno. Plasma 5 on both Kubuntu and Neon are so trouble free, I never do fresh installs any more, except out of boredom, once (not counting my Chromebook)

And that one time I thought it was a bad kernel/nvidia driver combo that turned out to be the PC's chassis was preventing the HDMI cable from fully seating.............
            (I went so far as to <gasp> run a different distro

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
              (I went so far as to <gasp> run a different distro
              YOU WHAT?

Say it isn't so, Joe?

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                YOU WHAT?

Say it isn't so, Joe?

It *was* on a usb stick mind you.

Comment

Oh, well ... that makes everything all right then!

(That's how I test run other distros. The ONLY other distro I've actually installed since I first tried Kubuntu 9.04 in Feb of 2009 was Neon.)
                  Last edited by GreyGeek; Aug 03, 2018, 10:21 PM.

Comment

I gave up (again) after 5.12 was released and plasmashell started throwing errors with systemsettings5.
                    What kind of errors? I'm asking because I got some "Kdeinit could not launch systemsettings5" errors myself, which turned out to be a local problem with the launcher I had previously added to a panel (apparently it was missing the necessary "X-DBUS-ServiceName=org.kde.systemsettings" key). No release manager or release management process would pick up such an issue, no matter how good they are.

Comment

I made Menu Item with this command and it starts as root (And Task Manager Item with differently colored icon). I did not change any core files. It is activated in Kubuntu 19.04, seems as.

Code:
                      pkexec env DISPLAY=$DISPLAY XAUTHORITY=$XAUTHORITY KDE_SESSION_VERSION=5 KDE_FULL_SESSION=true dolphin
                      Would just like that dismissable notice follows and not disappear when I change folder, just to be able to differentiate between Dolphin root and non-root. I don't want to use root launch more than I need.

Menu Item (Right click on Launcher -> Edit Applications):
                      - Name
                      - Description (optional)
                      - Command (from above)
                      - Enable launch feedback = Yes
                      - Do not activate Run in terminal

Comment

On Neon unstable, it works, but it does funny things.
                        It opens in a /home that doesn't exist. It's empty, unless I show hidden files, and then it shows things I don't have, and very few of them.
                        If I go through /root to /home, it shows the correct one.
                        In that "fake home", if I Show editable location, it says /root/ .

Click image for larger version

Name:	root-d.png
Views:	1
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	644253

So, it may be useable, but obviously I won't use it

Comment

I mean, on non-root Dolphin, my Home looks like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	home-d.png
Views:	1
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	644254

Comment

I was young when DOS was out and started playing Carmen Sandiago on it.

I never thought of CLI as that forbidding since I did start with it when I was really young.

I don't disagree with people should learn CLI, at least the very basics, no matter what platform you are on (Linux, Windows, Mac) it is the most powerful place to be for certain things (not to mention efficient).

Unfortunately, here is the rub, while I can understand the reasons that keep on being mentioned why Dolphin and Kate don't allow for elevated use, I don't think that is in of itself a reason to force something like this. If I, for whatever reason, want to use GUI to do something, I should be able to do it. Regardless of the security implications etc. Linux (in my mind) has always been about options and this shouldn't be any different. If something that I do nukes the install (which has happened, especially early on in my use of Linux) that goes hand and hand with the power that is Linux.
                            Lenovo Thinkstation: Xeon E5 CPU 32GB ECC Ram KDE Neon

Comment

Couldn't agree more.
                              I love my CLI - man, when DOS was out, I spent hours trying to cram a few more bytes into High Memory
                              And I used Linux for years without any X-server at all.
                              For some things, though (very few, mind you) it's good to be able to - for example - manage files (with obnoxious names) in protected places with a GUI... like, once every few months, maybe.

Still, we have root-mode Krusader for that...

Comment

Originally posted by Don B. Cilly View Post

Still, we have root-mode Krusader for that...
                                I've used Krusader and I've used PCMANFM-QT and I noticed that some undesirable changes happen and I really didn't have an inclination to trouble shoot.

They all seemed to relate to how the file manager interacts with Ark (which I use all the time). I couldn't drag and drop for extracting files from Ark to the non-Dolphin file manager. I couldn't use any other destination for the extracted files (through Ark's menus) for any place that wasn't where the archive file was located. All the files extracted were automatically chown root:root and chmod 555. I don't have them in locations that had that file designation nor did I use su(do) to extract.

Now, I really like KDE and so I made sure I learned the relevant CLI commands to handle things while keeping Dolphin as the file manager due to how well it behaves with Ark. Not many people are going to be that dedicated, it doesn't work out of the box and so move on. This actual "issue" is what kept me going from and forth between Kubuntu and Linux Mint, because I like how that environment handles this particular "issue" (plus I like File Roller's ability to mount ISO's in the file manager, never have been able to get Dolphin to do that, none of the services have worked for me and the other work arounds made it just simpler to use K3B to make the ISO and then just go through Ark versus mounting it (I really do miss that)).
                                Lenovo Thinkstation: Xeon E5 CPU 32GB ECC Ram KDE Neon

Comment

Working...
                                X