This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going back to Windows

I've been a Linux user since the late '90s, started playing around with RedHat and finally settled on Kubuntu a long time ago now. I've enjoyed the small quirks, like spending a few hours trying to get a TV card to work, a printer to install, using the command line to install stuff. I've always managed to find something, some small kernel of help in the internet that led me to a solution, and all was well with the world. I've evangelised to friends and tried to convert them, thankfully unsuccessfully.

But 18.04 has broken me. 17.04 and .10 was a bit of a struggle to install with issues being thrown up, such as having to remove a certain file from the USB because it couldn't configure apt to install additional packages.

But 18.04, you've done for me. I've spent all day and I have lost my Linux installation completely. It pains me to say this, but thank the Microsoft powers that be, because without the Windows partition I dual boot from I wouldn't have anything. As it is I'm now going to have to find some way to restore my Linux backup to my Windows partition.

What amazes me is that the apt configuration problem has been going on for many years, so why do I still find myself having to scour the internet (after an install has failed) to find the command that removes the recalcitrant file, why haven't the developers sorted this by now, because I know I'm not the only one who's been having this issue. But that one I could solve, that in itself didn't bother me, I like a challenge. But the grub error has me beat. The only suggestions I've seen are to completely wipe my hard drive, repartition manually, and start from scratch. It's UEFI's fault, says one. I may need to manually create a UEFI folder says another. But I have a UEFI partition, I managed to do all that for 17.04. What have the developers done that has completely broken a distribution for me that makes my laptop all but useless, and totally useless as far as Linux is concerned?

But no, I've had enough. I am going to re-partition, but only to give Windows back the other half of the hard disk. I don't need this hassle, of losing a whole ******g day trying to sort this mess out.

After 20 years of using Linux I'm giving up.

Don't give up so soon! Try another distro, a non debian based distro.

Why not try Manjaro. It is based upon Arch (but is not Arch) uses the pacman package manager but also has a GUI package manager called pamac (or Octopi if you use KDE) if you don't want to use the command line. It's rolling release but is quite stable. I'd still be using it now if it wasn't for systemd.
    systemd is not for me. I am a retro Nintendo gamer. consoles I play on are, SNES; N64; GameCube and WII.
    Host: mx Kernel: 4.19.0-6-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 8.3.0 Desktop: Trinity R14.0.8 tk: Qt 3.5.0 info: kicker wm: Twin 3.0 base: Debian GNU/Linux 10

Comment

I understand the frustration, but not the result. You are welcome to use whatever OS you prefer, but while you may enjoy the dictated comfort of Windows, you will never have the freedom of open source again. I don't like what UEFI does, but change is inevitable so adapt or die. I intend to be around for a long time, and enjoy the comfort of choice and solving my own problems with that choice.

See ya again some day ...
      The next brick house on the left
      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

20 years of running Linux and you can't do a simple install of the extremely stable Kubuntu 18.04

In looking over your account I notice that you've posted a total of 24 msgs since joining in 2010, and it has been almost three years since your last post. At no time did I notice a post giving any hardware description along with a request for help. If you put in 20 years with Linux it wasn't with Kubuntu.

I installed RH 5.0 on my Sony VAIO 20 years ago, on May 1, 1998, using a CD from the back of a paperback titled "Learn Linux in 24 Hours", by Bill Brush. I must confess, however, that it took me at least 30 to 40 hours to break the Windows thinking mode. Since then I've never looked back. I've had success with most distros I've tried, but on occasions one release in a series stinks so I move to another distro, rather than re-enslave myself to M$. IF Kubuntu doesn't float your boat then try PCLinuxOS, or openSUSE, or Mint, or Manjaro, or even Fedora. Personally, I prefer KDE Neon User Edition with Btrfs as the root fs. I moved to it not because Kubuntu was bad, or even mediocre, but because I wanted the leading edge of the KDE desktop.

Good luck with Windows.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
          20 years of running Linux and you can't do a simple install of the extremely stable Kubuntu 18.04

In looking over your account I notice that you've posted a total of 24 msgs since joining in 2010, and it has been almost three years since your last post. >>>>>
          Good luck with Windows.
          And his first two posts in 2010 both ended with "going back to Windoze." I guess it takes some people a long time to get around to things.
          If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Maybe they're now inspired by #WalkAway
            Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

[SARCASM]

If only Linux would work just like Windows!

[/SARCASM]

Yeah, good luck with Windows ... on another forum I frequent that is almost entirely populated by Windows users the complaints about the Windows 10 update system is unbelievable! I used to think the Win7 update process was a pain. I think Win10 has made it 10 times worse. You don't own your PC any more, Microsoft owns you completely.
              Last edited by Rod J; Jul 04, 2018, 11:48 PM.
              Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
              Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

This is such a ridiculous subject ... someone "threatening" to go back to Windows. Rod J, you are too polite. Fact is, Windows 10 is nothing but a POS. Don't believe it? Try using it in everyday practice--it's a mess, and slow, and often confusing (e.g., in the message pop-ups that hit you with great frequency), on and damned on ... Sorry, but I lose my patience with Windows every time I try to help someone with it. And Windows 10--when it debuted-- seemed to promise everyone a fresh start and an end to all the Windows messes of the past!
                An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

The Acer laptop I am currently using as my "main machine," I purchased cheap from an acquaintance as it was infected with ransomware. I could have wiped the HDD and gone with Linux from the get-go but I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with the machine yet. I reset Windows 10 to factory defaults and that took a couple hours. After it was reset to the factory default it had to upgrade to "catchup" to where Windows 10 had since evolved. That took many, hours. After it was all said and done, I spent about ten minutes using it before I got so frustrated I wiped the drive and installed Kubuntu 18.04 as I should have done at the beginning.

As far as threatening to go back to Windows... As previously stated this person hasn't posted in three years. They didn't come here to seek help. They came here specifically to SOAPBOX to vent. Since they were not a regular contributor or seeking help there was no need to inform us just how bad Linux is. This is called "Flouncing." Bye-ee.
                  If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Going back to Windows

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                    This is such a ridiculous subject ... someone "threatening" to go back to Windows. Rod J, you are too polite. Fact is, Windows 10 is nothing but a POS. Don't believe it? Try using it in everyday practice--it's a mess, and slow, and often confusing (e.g., in the message pop-ups that hit you with great frequency), on and damned on ... Sorry, but I lose my patience with Windows every time I try to help someone with it. And Windows 10--when it debuted-- seemed to promise everyone a fresh start and an end to all the Windows messes of the past!
                    Win10 is so bad that when someone asks me to help them figure out how to do something, or to fix something, or to recover from something, I politely tell them it would be a waste of my and their time because we would have to do it all over again sooner or later. I don’t even offer to replace Win10 with Kubuntu anymore.

SpecialED, you’re right. A serial “I’m returning to Windows” threat is hollow, if the intent is to solicit help. My response is “Here’s your hat, what’s your hurry? Don’t let the door hit your back on the way out!”

I’ll spend my volunteer time helping people who really want it.
                    Last edited by GreyGeek; Jul 05, 2018, 09:13 AM.
                    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Yeah, clearly a troll. Let's just all agree to wave bye-bye in silence.

Please Read Me

Comment

Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

I've been in this ones situation.
                          Hell I've spent about up to 120hrs fine tuning an 12.04 LTS install, over its support life.
                          For the piece of mind of a stable OS for the duration of an LTS just do it (fine tune) or be forever patching issues.
                          Currently for 18.04 I've spent 10hrs due to a shaky first install, but only four for the successful second attempt, due to my slowness following the "HOW TO's" from our fellow Kubuntians.

Comment

Closing thread as unhelpful. No new comments are needed.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                            X